Finally set to mod - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ramm21 is an unknown
Finally set to mod

Hey all,
Finally got my MODE SS and bushings last week, but couldn't get to the install until this weekend, and 10 mins ago my COBB DP arrived (a month later), so we are set!!

First question: Got a 4day weekend, so time isn't an issue. Should I attack both the SS and DP at the same time, or do them on separate days? I'm a noob when it comes to mechanical work btw..

Second question: What is the best way to get underneath the car? I'm thinking ramps for the front or back, then lift the other end with a jack and stick some stands underneath. What is the best place to place the jack and then the stands once the car is raised?

Any feedback is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 04:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The shifter takes maybe an hour if you're slow... Hardest part will be taking out the spring clip if you don't have a set of spring clip pliers.

You only need to get the front end off the ground to do the dp. I jack off the frame rails by putting a 2x4 between my jack and car.

-Chris
post #3 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Silly question what kind of engine management are you using?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #4 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ramm21 is an unknown
I have a Cobb AP, running stage 1 right now. Already have a SPT exhaust. How can I get the mods to show up in grey at the bottom of my posts? I put the mods into the info thing on my page, but its still not showing up..
post #5 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ramm21 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
The shifter takes maybe an hour if you're slow... Hardest part will be taking out the spring clip if you don't have a set of spring clip pliers.

You only need to get the front end off the ground to do the dp. I jack off the frame rails by putting a 2x4 between my jack and car.
Thanks. Im more worried about the DP (the O2 sensor in particular). I found a couple of SS DIY threads with pics on NASIOC and other sites, and it doesnt look that tough..
post #6 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramm21 View Post
I have a Cobb AP, running stage 1 right now. Already have a SPT exhaust. How can I get the mods to show up in grey at the bottom of my posts? I put the mods into the info thing on my page, but its still not showing up..
DP shouldn't take more than an 1hr or so. Spray the damn exhaust bolts with PB blaster the night before so that it soaks in.
Grey writing go to User CP go to edit Signature. Type in what you want it to say then save.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #7 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ramm21 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
DP shouldn't take more than an 1hr or so. Spray the damn exhaust bolts with PB blaster the night before so that it soaks in.
Grey writing go to User CP go to edit Signature. Type in what you want it to say then save.
Got it! So with that I will attempt the DP and SS one right after the other. I see you have a self-tune as one of your mods. Do you have any links/sites that I can read up on datalogging and get myself familiar with the basics? I datalogged a little after I flashed stage1, but I cant really find anywhere that explains what I'm looking at. Mainly I want to make sure the tune is good and not hurting my beautiful girl..

-Miguelito
post #8 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Read here my good man.
https://sites.google.com/site/asubienewbietuningguide/
And if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #9 of 10 Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ramm21 is an unknown
Keith, thanks for the link. Thats pretty much the exact thing I was looking for. There is a lot of info in there, but I'll go through it a couple of times before I get all the ideas down. I'm sure I'll have some questions later on too..

Put in the SS and bushings over the weekend. The SS install was pretty simple, got it done in a half hour or so. The bushings were a different story. The back bushing took forever to get on and screwed in all the way. Not a lot of room to work with down there...
I decided to push the DP until next weekend, the bushings took a lot out of me. 100+ degree weather wasn't helping during the install either.

Does anybody notice a lot more cabin noise after a SS install? I put all the sound deadening material back on, but seems like I can hear a lot more things coming from underneath the car now..

-Miguelito
post #10 of 10 Old 07-06-2011, 02:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramm21 View Post
Keith, thanks for the link. Thats pretty much the exact thing I was looking for. There is a lot of info in there, but I'll go through it a couple of times before I get all the ideas down. I'm sure I'll have some questions later on too..

Put in the SS and bushings over the weekend. The SS install was pretty simple, got it done in a half hour or so. The bushings were a different story. The back bushing took forever to get on and screwed in all the way. Not a lot of room to work with down there...
I decided to push the DP until next weekend, the bushings took a lot out of me. 100+ degree weather wasn't helping during the install either.

Does anybody notice a lot more cabin noise after a SS install? I put all the sound deadening material back on, but seems like I can hear a lot more things coming from underneath the car now..
Please feel free to ask away.
Harder bushings allow more vibration to be felt in the shifter as well as a slight increase in cabin noise, it's normal.
The DP is pretty straight forward, remove the O2 sensor first and foremost. I then unbolt the exhaust from the down pipe and take it loose from the hangers, to keep it out of the way. Then take the bolt loose from the transmission then from the turbo, that way if the thing falls it won't hit you in the head...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement