Extended Upgrade for WRX 2.5 2008 400HP - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 07-02-2010, 09:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Synolimit's list above is probably the best route in that case. Just be aware that you might have some reliability issues adding that much power without significant work rebuilding the motor with upgraded parts. The verdict on the 08+ transmission is still kind of up in the air, I usually err on the side of caution. If you add significant power you'll definitely want to avoid dropping the clutch, best idea would be to upgrade your gears if that is possible in your situation. Also, you'll need to constantly reprogram the ECU as you add new parts so unless you have access to a tuner you might be limited to just a few boltons and an off the shelf map. You can get base maps off the internet and try to do an web tune by sending logs to a good tuner through e-mail but the more parts you change the more difficult this becomes and at a certain point no one is going to have base maps for your configuration.

I hope you have some luck with this, sorry to hear about the poor situation there.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2

Last edited by mosc; 07-03-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 07-02-2010, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
the 08+ trannys have been holding up quite nice. people have drag raced with them with aftermarket clutches and no problems. im not saying yours will be fine but so far the others are doing ok. some guys are even putting down over 400TQ with them and still fine.

the clutch on the other hand, if you do drag race it will wear out fast. with the cars ive seen over 300HP the OEM clutches make it to about 12,000-20,000 miles. if you have 500HP and never gun it, then your clutch will last 100,000, its all up to how you drive it.

pistons at 350HP "should" be fine, its ALL IN THE TUNE and hopefully nothing breaks or fails. like if a fuel injector fails and that cylinder goes lean and blows the motor. it can happen! but its impossible to tell if it will or not.

i can write a list for you but do you want the best of the best parts, or cheapest parts that are still great quality?

turbo-Blouch
injectors-Injector Dynamics
pump- Walbro
EL header- Perrin or Grimmspeed when its comes out
UP-Perrin or Grimmspeed
DP-Invidia
CBE-Any full 3" you want
3-port boost controler- Grimmspeed
a metal BPV or hybid- Cobb, Turbo XS
FMIC-Turbo XS
CAI-Turbo XS
1 step colder plugs- NGK

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/

Last edited by mosc; 07-03-2010 at 12:47 AM.
#18 Old 07-03-2010, 04:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

rodrigoferrari is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to rodrigoferrari
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
the 08+ trannys have been holding up quite nice. people have drag raced with them with aftermarket clutches and no problems. im not saying yours will be fine but so far the others are doing ok. some guys are even putting down over 400TQ with them and still fine.

the clutch on the other hand, if you do drag race it will wear out fast. with the cars ive seen over 300HP the OEM clutches make it to about 12,000-20,000 miles. if you have 500HP and never gun it, then your clutch will last 100,000, its all up to how you drive it.

pistons at 350HP "should" be fine, its ALL IN THE TUNE and hopefully nothing breaks or fails. like if a fuel injector fails and that cylinder goes lean and blows the motor. it can happen! but its impossible to tell if it will or not.

i can write a list for you but do you want the best of the best parts, or cheapest parts that are still great quality?

turbo-Blouch
injectors-Injector Dynamics
pump- Walbro
EL header- Perrin or Grimmspeed when its comes out
UP-Perrin or Grimmspeed
DP-Invidia
CBE-Any full 3" you want
3-port boost controler- Grimmspeed
a metal BPV or hybid- Cobb, Turbo XS
FMIC-Turbo XS
CAI-Turbo XS
1 step colder plugs- NGK
Hi, I want good quality parts, but quality cost money.

If you have a part with the same quality as a expensive one of course that I will buy the chepeast one because there is no sense to pay more for a brand if the other one do the same and last the same. When I ask about brand names is because they probably made a lot more quality tests and so on, but you are the expert, I will accept the sugestions you send, I just want a safe to drive and durable engine, I don't want to broke my engine but 300-350HP will be fine.

Remember, Brazilian gas have 87 octanes and 25% alcohol, I need to work with this gas with the upgraded engine.

We have 100% alcohol too with 110 octanes, but need extra 30% fuel to give the same power so a bigger fuel pump and injectors are welcome.

And the question, can a American tuner send me maps for alcohol version even if he does not have experience with this fuel? Because in America all street runs gasoline.

Thank you.
#19 Old 07-03-2010, 11:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
This is my "personal" opinion on what parts you should get...

turbo-Blouch
injectors-Injector Dynamics or Deatschwerks
pump- Walbro
EL header- GT Spec...hands down
UP-GT Spec, comes with EL header
DP-Turbo XS
CBE-Any full 3" you want
3-port boost controler- Grimmspeed or Prodrive
BPV or hybid-Turbo XS
FMIC-Turbo XS
CAI-KS TECH 73mm big maf intake
1 step colder plugs- NGK

Here you can see the difference between the Perrin and my GT Spec
GT Spec ELH vs Perrin ELH......
#20 Old 07-03-2010, 06:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

I would like the engine to be forged, which brand and kits do you recommend?

Pistons, Rods, what more?

Thank you.
#21 Old 07-03-2010, 08:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigoferrari View Post
I would like the engine to be forged, which brand and kits do you recommend?

Pistons, Rods, what more?

Thank you.
this all depends on money. with such low miles your cheapest bet would be to pull the motor and just drop in a good companys pistons, rods, bearings and ARP head studs. thoughs parts along are only about $1000-$1200 USD which is cheap really. however finding someone to do the work is expensive. labor is not cheap!! now if you bought a fully built block that a company like Crawford or Cosworth built they have stages. even the cheapest stage 1 is still a lot more money then $1000-$1200 because your buying a new engine block and crank shaft. so again, its all up to you money wise.

#22 Old 07-03-2010, 08:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
06f250sd: Thanks for that link with the pictures. My tuner has been telling me that the Perrin EL headers are complete junk versus the GT Spec headers and now it's pretty clear to me. That he was 100% correct.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#23 Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
this all depends on money. with such low miles your cheapest bet would be to pull the motor and just drop in a good companys pistons, rods, bearings and ARP head studs. thoughs parts along are only about $1000-$1200 USD which is cheap really. however finding someone to do the work is expensive. labor is not cheap!! now if you bought a fully built block that a company like Crawford or Cosworth built they have stages. even the cheapest stage 1 is still a lot more money then $1000-$1200 because your buying a new engine block and crank shaft. so again, its all up to you money wise.
Hi, could you please indicate a good set for those products? JE, CP, Cosworth.

Do you have a link for a complete set for my engine?

Don't worry about the labour, I have a team to do the work.

I want to use my OEM block, I just want to swap all oem parts in order to fit forged ones.

So, I need:
Pistons,
Rods,
Bearings,
ARP Head studs
Crank shaft

Do I need anything else to guarantee the engine durability to handle 400HP?

Thank you.
#24 Old 07-04-2010, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06f250sd View Post
This is my "personal" opinion on what parts you should get...

turbo-Blouch
injectors-Injector Dynamics or Deatschwerks
pump- Walbro
EL header- GT Spec...hands down
UP-GT Spec, comes with EL header
DP-Turbo XS
CBE-Any full 3" you want
3-port boost controler- Grimmspeed or Prodrive
BPV or hybid-Turbo XS
FMIC-Turbo XS
CAI-KS TECH 73mm big maf intake
1 step colder plugs- NGK

Here you can see the difference between the Perrin and my GT Spec
GT Spec ELH vs Perrin ELH......
wow that is bad. i know i hear all the time there headers are made in China by im sure a 12 year old in a sweat factory. thats why im waiting on the Grimmspeed EL headers to come out!!! i would get the Gt spec but i need a UP for EWG. yes i could have it but grimmspeed useing 2.0MM thick pipe and 13MM flanges sell me!! that forsure wont crack. the GT spec look kinda thin maybe.

on a side note, please go back to that other wedsite and tell that last guy hes dump and Perrin doesnt use 321 stainless steel!! if they did it would be a $1300+ header.

#25 Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigoferrari View Post
Hi, could you please indicate a good set for those products? JE, CP, Cosworth.

Do you have a link for a complete set for my engine?

Don't worry about the labour, I have a team to do the work.

I want to use my OEM block, I just want to swap all oem parts in order to fit forged ones.

So, I need:
Pistons,
Rods,
Bearings,
ARP Head studs
Crank shaft

Do I need anything else to guarantee the engine durability to handle 400HP?

Thank you.
just google engine block kits for those companys. as for pistons and rods, its like subi vs. mitsu, everyone will have there own opinion. just pick one, im sure there all fine.

#26 Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

I founded a website with many combinations:

Build Your Block : Real Street Performance Engine Parts, Pistons Rods Cams Valvetrain and More

Please look at Piston & Rod Combo Specials, they sell many combinations, which one would be better? I can see a 1000HP combo but a want 350-450HP, if I install a 1000HP kit to handle just 400HP, will my engine have a great security and durability margin? What do you recommend?

As you all noted i'm not a expert on parts and specifications so that is why I ask for help to mount the near perfection durable engine, I can't take risk with this engine.

Thank you.
#27 Old 07-04-2010, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
Quote:
wow that is bad. i know i hear all the time there headers are made in China by im sure a 12 year old in a sweat factory. thats why im waiting on the Grimmspeed EL headers to come out!!! i would get the Gt spec but i need a UP for EWG. yes i could have it but grimmspeed useing 2.0MM thick pipe and 13MM flanges sell me!! that forsure wont crack. the GT spec look kinda thin maybe.

on a side note, please go back to that other wedsite and tell that last guy hes dump and Perrin doesnt use 321 stainless steel!! if they did it would be a $1300+ header.
Here is the uppipe that GT Spec makes with the EWG
GTSPEC SS Uppipe w/ EWG for 02 + Impreza 3 Bolts | www.gtspec.com
#28 Old 07-04-2010, 01:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

hmmm, price is kinda up there. idk, i like the idea of GS as a local company and great customer service and always on nasioc and here to talk.

hmmm, i see a website saying they also use 14 gauge steel which is really nice if its true!! only prob now is they only use 44mm wastegates.

#29 Old 07-04-2010, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Nothing wrong with the 44mm, especially if he want 400 whp.... Generally 38mm is good to a 20g, bigger than that they reccommend a 44mm. I like the sound of a 38mm better though.

-Chris
#30 Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Package to decide.

Hi all, after all searchs and looking at Vim's car I decided to stay with 300whp so I don't need to open the engine to forge and the transmission can handle it. Please look the list below and if possible send me any suggestion to do a better buying, all must be bolt-on. Car will be 100% ethanol, we have a lot here and cheap, do you suggest any tuner to do the mapping service over the internet? The mark is 300whp.

Subaru IHI VF52 Turbo(14411AA800) - $1215

Perrin LGT/08 WRX Silver TMIC(PSP-ENG-320SL) - $800

Perrin Blow Off Valve Vent Recirculation Only Kit(ASM-INT-600) - $245

K&N 08-09 WRX/STi Typhoon Short Ram Intake(69-8004TTK) - $260

TurboXS 2008+ WRX 5dr Catless Turboback Exhaust (W08H-TBE-RP) - $???

DeatschWerks Top Feed 1000cc set of 4 EJ20/EJ25, WRX 02+ - $475
Will be running 100% ethanol, do I need 1000c or less?

Walbro 255lph HP Fuel Pump - $70

SPT Subaru WRX STI Turbo Heat Shield 08-10 - $75

Perrin 04-08 STi /LGT/FXT/06-08 WRX (06+ WRX requires modification to oil cooler) Header - $730

COBB Adjustable Short Shifter - No Longer Made, what you suggest?

COBB Shifter Bushings - No Longer Made, what you suggest?

Whiteline 08+ Subaru WRX Hatch / 08-09 Subaru STi Front Lower control arm anti-dive caster kit(KCA334) - $100

Whiteline 08+ Subaru WRX Hatch / 08-09 Subaru STi Rear Diff Mount Inserts positive power kit(KDT903) - $30

Whiteline 05-08 Subaru Legacy GT / 08+ Subaru WRX Hatch / 08-09 Subaru STi Front H/duty steer rack bushes(KSR207) - $52

BC Racing BR Series Coilovers - $915

Perrin LGT/08 WRX 25mm Adjustable Front Sway Bar(PSP-SUS-121) - $158

Perrin 08+ WRX / 08+ STi 22mm Rear Swaybar(PSP-SUS-232) - $165

Perrin WRX/STI/LGT Front Endlinks(PSP-SUS-110) - $130

GrimmSpeed Electronic Boost Solenoid - $100

Kartboy Pitch Stopper - $105

Subaru 02-07 WRX & STi Group N Motor Mounts - $140

Whiteline Rear Subframe to Chassis Bushings for 08+ Subaru WRX & STi(W0598) - $45

Doubt 01:
There is the TurboXS 2008+ WRX 5dr Catless Turboback Exhaust (W08H-TBE-RP)
As I see appear that this W08H-TBE-RP includes Downpipe AND complete exhaust, is that right? In this way I don't need to buy separeted downpipe and exhaust? All bolt-on?

Doubt 02:
Perrin 04-08 STi /LGT/FXT/06-08 WRX (06+ WRX requires modification to oil cooler) Header (02-05 WRX Requires STi Oil Pan) - $730
What do I need to change on WRX 2008 in order to fit this header?

Doubt 03:
COBB Adjustable Short Shifter - No Longer Made
COBB Shifter Bushings - No Longer Made
DO you suggest any other brand?

Doubt 04:
Which gasket sets do I need for all this mods?

Missing in quote:
- PERRIN Rear Endlinks
- Kartboy Rear Shifter Mount
- Wheel Spacers
- Pro.Drive 18" wheels and tires.
- STI Group N Transmission Mount
- Exedy Subaru WRX OEM Replacement Clutch 06-10 (2 units for spare) Do you suggest any other organic Clutch to handle 300whp with the OEM confort?
- Brembo or another big brake kit set, do you suggest any?

Do you suggest any other mods to install? What are missing to acomplish this upgrade with perfection, durability and no problems ?

Thank you all.

Rodrigo.