Subaru WRX Forum banner

Exhaust opinions for 08 wrx sedan

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Bucs62 
#1 ·
Hello All -

I am curious to ask to see how many other 08 wrx sedan drivers reside on here? If so what TBE setup are you using? Looking for opinions on a quieter exhaust. Even though I love my N1 race single exit... the drone is a bit much when going on longer road trips. I've thought about the Q300 but users have said if you are running catless it is almost no different than just having the n1.

I would still like to find something with rumble, but is a bit quieter in the lower gears. ( if that is possible.) From what I have seen on the net is the options for this year are pretty limited. Ive heard SPT has some weld durability issues. The Magnaflow is really one of the other main options I have found but cant verify that any of the videos posted on youtube are running a dp with a highflow cat or catless.

If anyone has a video with a magnaflow single tip dual exit running catless i would appreciate it. Other recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks

#2 ·
Ive got a 2010 wrx sedan and installed an SPT this past weekend. I think its plenty loud, and when the revs drop under 1k its almost quieter than stock.
Mine is used and had ~50k miles on it. Looked almost perfect, I spent a few weeks removing rust and painting it. Only issue was a hairline fracture at one end on the flange.

#3 ·
I dont have a sedan so I cannot give you first hand experience but I have spent the last few weeks researching exhausts for my 13 hatch and I have watched/listened to more exhaust videos than you can shake a stick at.

I am interested in keeping a tock volume level while deepening the tone and removing the restrictive stock cataltic converter, the decision I made was to run a Cobb catted down pipe with a stock cat back, its considerably deeper rumble with very little extra noise when idling over stock. That and at stage 2 power levels the stock cat back makes a minimal difference as far as restriction with my conservative tuning goals.

If you want more noise and less restriction than a down pipe only the Mad-dad Whisper series is considerably louder without many reports of drone ( keep in mind I was hunting for hatchbacks which are notorious for drone ). You might also listen to a few of the Borla videos. their systems are louder than the whisper but they have a very rich tone.

If you want a wicked sound the ARK GRIP are probably the deepest sounding cat back I have seen, They have a bit of an airflow direction issue on the hatch where they don't utilize all 4 tips so it might not be the best idea but i liked their sound the best when I was looking. ( it almost sounded wet, more primal then the other options )

Hope that helps.

#4 ·
Sadly. Most options will come out for the hatchback only for the 2008 since the STI only came in the hatch that year.

The Ark Grip only is offered for the hatch on that one. :( . However, I will consider looking to see if i can just order the COBB cat pipe and throw the stock axle back on.
@Haw1es - What did you do to remediate that hairline fracture? Right now I think my future options are either SPT, Magnaflow, or throwing the stock exhaust back on. I do like the rumble sound though.

#5 ·
@tehfuzz it was right at the transition from the donut gasket surface and the flange. I used some exhaust crack sealant that I had layong around, good for 1000 degrees. I honestly should of done a little more, but shes holding fine for now.
If you go inward on the photo about 1/8th inch from the leftest bolt hole, that where it was.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.