Exhaust/noob question - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
LOL @ Paul

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake84 View Post
I'm not looking for a performance gain. I'm looking to a less restricted flow off the turbo for better flow/lower egt's.
That would be an oxymoron. Less restriction of flow for the turbo is defined as a performance gain. !Laugh!

But yeah, just put a cat back on the car and you'll have no worries and enjoy the sound of the car. All it took was my wife hearing a Subaru with a nice exhaust to convince her I needed one.

-Chris
#18 Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Blake84 is an unknown
Lol I know increase of flow will be considered a upgrade and it'll have small HP gain. I was wanting a down pipe more for better flow, less restrictions. And if a HP gain is a by product of better flow then I can live with that lol. I understand I probably came across a little confusing. I was just wanting a down pipe because as you know the factory one isn't the best for flow.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#19 Old 01-15-2013, 01:05 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
For the 02-05 WRX's, it was fairly common to replace the downpipe and run factory maps. The EJ205 has smaller area piston heads (same throw), and a different computer/fuel delivery setup. There was more slack in the system and factory tunes were very rich. Cars typically ran better, cleaner, and generated more power with a downpipe+stock map than they did from the factory. The newer cars are DBW instead of DBC, use a different MAF model (open loop vs closed loop issues), and have a higher displacement from their larger piston area (more sensitive to lean conditions). Because of this, they should be tuned for.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD