Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Exhaust/noob question (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/exhaust-noob-question-33485/)

Blake84 01-13-2013 08:47 PM

Exhaust/noob question

Hello all I'm new here and new to Subaru. I just recently bought my first wrx(09) and I really enjoy it. I'm wanting to put a exhaust system on it, full turbo back. I'm reading with a turbo back exhaust I'll need to do a tune. I understand and know why I'd need a tune with say a intake upgrade. But could someone shed light to as why the car would need a tune for a exhaust upgrade. I'm sorry for kicking a dead horse here. I couldn't anything to support why. Just that turbo back exhaust upgrades need a tune. Like I said I'm new to wrx's so please forgive my ignorance on the subject. :beatentod

pzr2874 01-14-2013 05:42 AM

Increase of fuel needed to support the extra flow.

Blake84 01-14-2013 05:53 AM

I'm not sure I understand. Why would the extra flow on the exhaust side require more fuel.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Blake84 01-14-2013 08:23 AM

If I were to go with a non cat down pipe and a mufflered exhaust or even stock exhaust would I still ned a tune? I'm just trying to get away from the stock down pipe (partially blocked waste gate).

RcrsWetDream 01-14-2013 08:38 AM

If you touch the downpipe you need to tune.

Cat-back only and you're fine.

You need to tune because aftermarket downpipes let the turbo breathe easier, and often causes the stock tune to somewhat lose control of boost causing the car to overboost. You tune to account for the change in flow, generally raising boost a few pounds and adjusting fueling to match.

Blake84 01-14-2013 08:52 AM

Thanks I was just wanting a explanation other than, you just need one. Well is there a way can get away from the factory down pipe (plate style) without needing a tune?

brfatal 01-14-2013 09:08 AM

No. And why would you want to waste your money trying to?

RcrsWetDream 01-14-2013 09:12 AM

Seems that you don't understand.

There is no performance benefit to just slapping a downpipe on. You put the downpipe on so you can tune the car to run more boost. You get exactly zero safe horspower from putting a downpipe on the car.

Alternatively, you can just get what is generally called a "stage 1" tune. The car has to be completely stock mechanically, you just get tuned for a slight bump in boost and power.

Blake84 01-14-2013 09:55 AM

I'm not looking for a performance gain. I'm looking to a less restricted flow off the turbo for better flow/lower egt's.

Blake84 01-14-2013 11:10 AM

So I guess a cat back exhaust is the way to go if I'm not wanting to do a tune.

mosc 01-14-2013 11:16 AM

Since cat back exhausts don't substantially change the flow of the exhaust or create lower EGT's (to use your words), they don't require tuning.

Basically, if you want to create more power with a car you have to ignite more air. Flowrate helps get more air through your engine, but you still need the corresponding change in fuel delivery to ignite it correctly. Too much air without a fuel increase means lean conditions and engine destroying knock.

Blake84 01-14-2013 01:24 PM

Yeah I know all about air to fuel mixture from the intake side. I just wasn't sure or knew why a tune was needed from a change on the exhaust side of the turbo until now. I was wanting to get away from the factory down pipe and its restricted flow and add some sound via exhaust system. Since now knowing I can't without a tune and I don't want to do a tune since its under warranty and I just got the car. So it seems I'll just have to settle on a cat back exhaust and mess with the down pipe later, when I'm ready to tune it.

turmic 01-14-2013 01:55 PM

I want to know how you drive that car upside down. ROFL

Blake84 01-14-2013 02:18 PM

Hahaha its that new anti gravity tune. The stupid thing every time I tried to load the picture up it loaded up side down. So I turned the original up side down thinking maybe it'd load the right way. Well it didn't so I'm rolling with the up side down wrx lol.

pzr2874 01-14-2013 02:28 PM

I didn't even notice. NICE