Exhaust help, please. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-16-2010, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxrtoso is an unknown
Exhaust help, please.

Hey guys, i have a 2008 subaru wrx nothing worked on it except a access port from Cobb Tuning. Im running it at stage 1 with 93 octane gas. I want to progress to stage 2 but in order to do that i need to redo the stock exhaust, I was suggested to run a 3' straight pipe from the Turbo back and take the resonators off. I essentiall am tryin to reproduce the STI sound and i was told that would be one of the best ways, Please some suggestions and input would be appreciated, what muffler would i want and what exhaust system to reproduce that sound? I also wanted to add the K&n airtake that was guaranteed a 17.5 hp increase, will i have to tune to that or is that covered under stage 1 or 2 in my accessport?
thank you very much ,Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2010, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Parthew is an unknown
For stage II you only need a downpipe. Also, for the STi sound, I don't think straight pipes would be the best idea, that would be incredibly loud. Unless of course that's what you want. Pertaining to the intake, I doubt that an intake could yield that kind of hp gains...
#3 Old 05-17-2010, 04:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxrtoso is an unknown
so what do you suggest then?
anybody??
#4 Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

PSD Operator is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrtoso View Post
so what do you suggest then?
anybody??
For my '10 WRX all I have done is the downpipe & the k&n drop in air filter and I'm at stage 2. There was a VERY noticable increase in power with the downpipe (the air filter was something I wanted to do, not something I had to do); you don't have to change the whole exhaust, but if you do it will get you a little more out of stage 2.

The only other changes I made to my car were a pitch stop, whiteline sway bars w/kartboy endlinks and kartboy front and rear shifter bushings. It runs like a striped ass ape now and still looks like a sedate little family car. I am going with 18" wheels/tires when these wear, but not until then.

The sway bars were by far my best modification.
#5 Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrtoso View Post
Hey guys, i have a 2008 subaru wrx nothing worked on it except a access port from Cobb Tuning. Im running it at stage 1 with 93 octane gas. I want to progress to stage 2 but in order to do that i need to redo the stock exhaust, I was suggested to run a 3' straight pipe from the Turbo back and take the resonators off. I essentiall am tryin to reproduce the STI sound and i was told that would be one of the best ways, Please some suggestions and input would be appreciated, what muffler would i want and what exhaust system to reproduce that sound? I also wanted to add the K&n airtake that was guaranteed a 17.5 hp increase, will i have to tune to that or is that covered under stage 1 or 2 in my accessport?
thank you very much ,Matt
why would a 2.5 liter, boxer 4, turbo charged STI sound any different then a 2.5 liter, boxer 4, turbo charged WRX motor? get what im saying? the layout of where they put parts is different but not what really makes the motor a motor. the car its self is what makes it an STI like tranny and diffs.

sounds like you want a rumble. any aftermarket exhaust company will give you that. some louder than others, you have to research for what your ear likes. but like said if you want to go stage two you need a downpipe. so buy both and i promise it will put a smile on your face.

intakes have shown gains for the 08+ wrx's so i say get one. unless Cobb or Perrin say that intake will work, you will have to get a retune!! but i say get a retune no matter what! you will gain a ton of power over you reflash map they will give you. thoughs maps run very very conservative so they work on everyones car all over the US at different elevations, gas, ect ect. a pro tune will be for your car and your car alone to get the most power out of it!

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#6 Old 05-18-2010, 12:07 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
They do sound different. The heads are different, the compression is different, and the flowrate is different. All that affects sound. Do they sound similar? Yes. If you close my eyes and put me 5 feet behind each with the exact same exhaust can I tell you the difference? Also yes.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
wow thats amazing

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#8 Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
wow thats amazing
Your sarcasm is unfounded, there is an obvious difference even with the same exhaust. Try not to let your inferiority complex affect your judgment.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#9 Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Honestly, COBB is tops in my book for keeping it subtle yet still making the power.

-Chris
#10 Old 05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

I have a Perrin TBE in the mail, I'll post up my impressions when I install it next week.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#11 Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Perrin is in the same class as COBB, just a bit louder. They were my second pick.

-Chris
#12 Old 05-18-2010, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

I was considering Cobb but I got the Perrin TBE to the door for $1150 and Cobb was more than $1850. Hopefully my stinginess won't backfire.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#13 Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

I almost choked when you said $1,850 then I remember you have an STi... that Cat Back system kills you guys on price.

-Chris
#14 Old 05-19-2010, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, $1000 is the bottom floor for an quad pipe STI CBE of reasonable quality. I was trying to order a maddad whisper but Rich fell off the face of the earth about a month ago and it freaked me out so I started looking again. Perrin put up a 20% off coupon so I got 22mm sways for like 240 and the TBE for 1150 (after shipping). Another 200 for Kartboy endlinks and I've got everything I was planning to do this year paid for and on the way. The maddad setup I was looking into was going to be up and around $1600 so I was happy to pay a lower price and get the sways and endlinks too. Regular price for everything I got would probably exceed $2000 with shipping.

My only concern is that the Perrin TBE might be too loud, I'm not looking for attention just something rumbly and good quality that frees up a little flow. I read a bunch of reviews saying it was too quiet for people so I figured I'd pull the trigger.

My wife made this face

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#15 Old 05-19-2010, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

I've learned to not tell my wife... I do get that face when another box with a big COBB or GrimmSpeed logo on it shows up though. I'm pretty much done with all the big ticket items though so my car spending is gonna drop off a lot.

-Chris