Exhaust Brands - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

angdefeo is an unknown
Exhaust Brands

I am going to upgrade the exhaust on an 07 Sti from the turbo all the way out with a cat. But there are so many brands and so many possibilites. Is there a large difference between these brands:
Invidia
HKS
DC Sports
SPT
COBB

I cant figure out differentiates these other than appearance and possibly preference. What are your thoughts/feelings on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2009, 09:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
From what I've gather,

Invidia = Somewhat less expensive, but decent quality. One of the best bang-for-your-buck exhausts out there.

HKS = Makes high quality, but somewhat expensive cat backs. Their older style downpipe was similar to the stock blank plate design, but I think they recently came out with a bellmouth style, but I haven't heard much about that, but it's probably good.

DC Sports = Don't really know much about them

SPT = Makes a decent quality cat back that won't void your warranty. Average price I think.

Cobb = Makes high quality downpipes and cat backs, but you'll pay for it.

Basically, just get a cat back that you like the looks and sound of. I'd stick to any of the major brands and avoid cheap eBay knock offs so you avoid exhaust leaks and fitment issues. As far as the downpipe, any name brand bellmouth style should do.

For what it's worth, I have a Cobb catted downpipe and an HKS Hi-Power Carbon-Ti cat back and I love them both.

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 08-07-2009, 10:14 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Nice breakdown John. What was stated above is exactly what you should be doing. Get a good quality downpipe that you like the price off, and then get any cat back that you like the sound of and you will be set.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Do you have a 07 or 09? If 07....then you posted in the wrong forum my friend. Heh
#5 Old 08-08-2009, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

angdefeo is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Do you have a 07 or 09? If 07....then you posted in the wrong forum my friend. Heh
I have both, just trying to gather info on both at the same time.
#6 Old 08-08-2009, 02:46 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Dang, thats nice an 07 STI and an 09 STI. The concept for both are the same. A nice bellmouth designed DP and any style and sounding CBE. Just too bad they are different designs for each now.

CobbTuning.com - Service Bulletin: 07 WRX/STi Overboosting with Catless Exhaust

CobbTuning.com - Exhaust Design

These are two different informative pieces put out by Cobb. One is catless versus catted, just to kind of let you know there isnt much power difference between the two unless you want all the power you could possible squeeze out of a setup. And the other is about the overboosting with a catless system. The later you dont have to really worry about since you have made the decision to stay catted.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

angdefeo is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Dang, thats nice an 07 STI and an 09 STI. The concept for both are the same. A nice bellmouth designed DP and any style and sounding CBE. Just too bad they are different designs for each now.

CobbTuning.com - Service Bulletin: 07 WRX/STi Overboosting with Catless Exhaust

CobbTuning.com - Exhaust Design

These are two different informative pieces put out by Cobb. One is catless versus catted, just to kind of let you know there isnt much power difference between the two unless you want all the power you could possible squeeze out of a setup. And the other is about the overboosting with a catless system. The later you dont have to really worry about since you have made the decision to stay catted.
Thank you!
#8 Old 08-09-2009, 11:02 AM

No problem, just let us know what you go with.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 08-09-2009, 02:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The exhaust layout is different. The engine and turbo layout isn't really that different. Thankfully. Just some new things added on the the new model. I want to see a 2010 sti or new body change though.
#10 Old 08-28-2009, 05:05 AM
ema
WRXtuners Member

ema is an unknown
Awesome posts there man show....
Well, those are all good Exhaust brands. They have their own sets of advantages and shortcomings. What man show have sited are good points to start with. But sometimes, it's really subjective.Like how loud or how silent you want your car to be and so on.
#11 Old 08-28-2009, 05:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
The easiest way to find out which one you like is check out youtube.com You can find pretty much everything on there and it lets you hear what you like...just check and see if the car in the video has a DP because it will change the sound. But hey...if you have 2 STI's....this might all be stuff u know.
#12 Old 08-28-2009, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Thanks ema! I aim to please.

John
07 WRX