Subaru WRX Forum banner

exaust louder with air conditioning?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  blue REX 9 
#1 ·
its has been hot here in north cali, so i have been using my air conditioning a lot lately, but i noticed the other day that man my car sounds more beefy with it on. i don't have any real mods just a cat back "racing" exhaust by magnaflow w/no resonator. and i know this is a stupid question, but i kinda want to know why that is . and if i can get it like that all the time. i like to modify my cars but i am still doing a lot of research on this car so... we will see

#2 ·
It's just a resonant frequency... When the A/C clutch kicks the compressor on, it increases the load on the motor, and therefore the motor revs slightly higher at idle. There shouldn't be any difference when you're moving. My car is similar. When I start it in the morning, while it's idling just a little higher it's actually pretty obnoxious, but it's downright quiet once it's warmed up. If the revs are slightly lower or higher it will be quieter. Hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.