Equal Length Headers for 08+ - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

operadude is more helpful than not
Equal Length Headers for 08+

I am thinking of adding GT spec Equal length headers. I don't care for the boxer rumble. I am more about making more power....
With that said my question for those that have installed the equal length headers in particular the GT Spec EL headers is this: Did it make your car quieter? Is it noticably quieter, or just little quieter. Besides making more power, I am trying to tone down the exhaust and make it a little quieter. I already cut out the 10 inch resonator that came with my 3 inch aftermarket exhaust and installed an 18 inch resonator. That didn't do much at all. I am hoping the EL header will cut out some of the low end frequencies that annoy my wife.... It's her daily driver. If I can't make it quieter this way, then I can't say look see! I made it quieter....or something like that. You married guys will know what I mean.

Fabio
2008 VF52 WRX Opensource Magnus Motorsports Stage 3 Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
99% chance you'll make it louder with any form of aftermarket header.

What exhaust are you running? At this point it might be easier to just buy a more mellow exhaust.

-Chris
#3 Old 07-23-2010, 03:31 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
put a different cat back on it, only way to make her happy

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 07-24-2010, 10:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
put a different cat back on it, only way to make her happy
You are probably right but I am wanting to add equal length headers in there first an pray it doesn't get any louder than it is now. I am looking for the extra power at the track. I read some threads in various forums that hinted at the sound appearing to be a little quieter with EL headers. If this is true, then I won't bother buying another cat back and see what happens first. I just thought there may be a hand full of people on here that already added equal length headers after getting a turbo back exhaust that will know for sure if they noticed a change where the exhaust note may seem quieter.
I currently run the ERZ down pipe and cat back for those that were asking. It's not the loudest exhaust out there but it isn't all that quiet either. To me, it's the best sounding exhaust out there if you're not in it driving to work. At the track or if you happen to have the car pass you by it sounds awsome though. In combination with the down pipe it added 3 mph to my trap speed and took off 3 tenths through the 1/4 mile going from stage 1 to stage 2 tune before I changed the turbo....
Years ago I traded in my DD hobby car for a Honda CRV. I went in thinking to buy a WRX back then but my wife loved the CRV. It came in handy though I must say. When it was time to retire my Wife's Acura 1.6 EL, we bought the WRX. Yup she drives the WRX, I drive the CRV except on weekends. She is not opposed to the whole car hobby thing and enjoys driving and bragging about her car, just not the loud noise thing.

Fabio
#5 Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well it may be a bit quieter at idle because it won't be so lumpy after the exhaust pulses are smoothed out. I really can't see it getting much louder at wot but it may be a bit more raspy because of the pipes over the cast manifold. Also it will in general be a higher pitch so it will seem a bit louder.

-Chris
#6 Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Anybody with EL headers know for sure? No need to speculate. There must be quite a few people on here that have 08+ wrx with the EL headers that can respond. Of you EL header users, what is your experience? Do you guys/girls notice the exhaust getting quiter after EL headers?

Fabio
#7 Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I've heard dozens of WRX's with equal length headers. They sound like hondas and I wouldn't exactly call it quieter. Getting rid of the low frequencies? That's too subjective for me to answer.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
EL will allow more noise in the cabin unless and possible even if you wrap them. My car isn't quiet and I run the factory catback, EL headers and a catted downpipe. EL will not quiet the car, but it will smooth it a bit. It will rev faster and with less effort.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#9 Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
I've got the GT SPEC ELH and uppipe and it is definitely quieter than the stock manifold. I would highly recommend their setup. I run a catless downpipe and SPT catback. Everyone loves the "subie stumble" but all of those guys that have been in my car says it sounds more like an exotic street bike than anything else...definitely not your average subie. The power alone is worth loosing the "rumble".
#10 Old 07-29-2010, 10:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06f250sd View Post
I've got the GT SPEC ELH and uppipe and it is definitely quieter than the stock manifold. I would highly recommend their setup. I run a catless downpipe and SPT catback. Everyone loves the "subie stumble" but all of those guys that have been in my car says it sounds more like an exotic street bike than anything else...definitely not your average subie. The power alone is worth loosing the "rumble".
This is what I thought I would hear from someone that actually has this header. I'm a recording engineer by trade and given the specs I was thinking they would appear to sound quieter. I am going to go ahead and order them and uh make my wife happy......

Fabio
#11 Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Terror Tumor is an unknown
yup epic lol ingore this.
#12 Old 08-18-2010, 03:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

red104dr is an unknown
Did you wrap your header and uppipe?
#13 Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
I recently purchased the GT SPEC equal length header/uppipe combo. I also was hesitant about going any louder, I am moving back to NY soon and they are not big fans about the above 95 db range. I took advice from 06f250sd and bought them. I have a catted downpipe and spt catback. After hours installation woes, I was surprised of the smooth sound when I started her up for the first time. I love the Subaru sound but hp is hp. smooth across the powerband, lower end power is still there and then some. As you climb up the powerband it gets a lil evoish higher pitched whales. Defiantly worth the power and is not too much on the ears. I would highly recommend this product to anyone.

Go for it you wont be disappointed
#14 Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red wrx 10 View Post
I recently purchased the GT SPEC equal length header/uppipe combo. I also was hesitant about going any louder...
Excellent! So are you confirming you found them to be quieter and easier on the ears than the stock headers with turboback exhaust?

Fabio
#15 Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
In my case, I would say yes. Depending on your exhuast setup. You will lose the grumble for a more rifined smooth sound.