Epic Springs - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-23-2010, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Terror Tumor is an unknown
Epic Springs

i just bought a set a EPIC engineering lower springs. just wondering if anyone else has these already and if so how are they?

btw i have a 2010 wrx sedan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2010, 09:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
do not put them on! your struts will blow

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#3 Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

tonyturbo13 is an unknown
Never heard of EPIC before. I have no experience with them.
#4 Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

why do you say your struts will blow?
#5 Old 06-29-2010, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
It is common for stock struts to wear out prematurely when paired with "lowering springs." The reason is because the stock struts are designed to work with the stock springs. When you replace stock springs with shorter "lowering springs," the stock struts compress much more than they normally would and they will wear out much faster. Your best bet, if you want to lower your car, is to do a little research and find a set of aftermarket springs and struts that are made to work well with each other. You will probably sacrifice some ride comfort compared to stock, but your suspension, as a complete system, will function better than it would if you only replaced the springs.

Basically, don't be cheap. Yeah, you could buy lowering springs for a hundred bucks (give or take) and install them yourself and your car might look a little better with less wheel gap, but you'll end up paying in the near future with either (1) an extremely harsh ride and worse handling or (2) you'll have to purchase another set of struts anyway, so you might as well just do that at the same time.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#6 Old 06-29-2010, 03:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

i havent put them on yet. i do plan on getting new struts. i was just making sure that the springs arent trash. i really couldnt find anything on the brand and they came "highly recemmended" by subimods.com. just trying to see if i got suckered into buying trash. i do understand the spring strut combo. just buying everything slowly over time.
#7 Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
like manshow said there matched for the stock struts. over at clubforum people are even blowing stock set ups. the sturts are maxed out from the factory, they just arnt designed that great.

gtwork/bilsteins struts are comming. there expensive, not adjustable and direct bolt ons. they are a great strut though!!

Koni are sold out till october. there cheaper, adjustable!! the rears are bolt in's, the fronts are drop in cartridges. again a great strut! now i believe the LGT fronts and rears you can get right now! IIRC the fronts should work no prob. the backs are lower so it will drop the car more then the WRX rears but you have to mod the lower control arm mounting point to get it to fit. not hard and many have done this set up. personally im waiting till october for the WRX ones.

now with that said, i dont like EPIC. they will not tell you there spring rates, they have no dyno so they dont have 100% R&D. to me thats shaddy and theres gonna be a lot of pissed off people as there struts start to blow!

RCE however do have a dyno and told everyone "we cannot make a spring for the 08+ wrx's" so they got with Bilsteins and made one. there RCE Yellow spring is perfect for the WRX. so the whole package is less then a coil over and will give race like performance.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#8 Old 07-03-2010, 11:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

emjayem is an unknown
i have them installed, they ride fine, stock struts are still fine after a couple months. I do want a higher dampening shock tho. when going over a dippy road, it gets to be a bit bouncy. Overall I am very happy with them. quality made. If you check nasioc or 3gwrx, there are many page reveiws on them
#9 Old 07-03-2010, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

AkSoul is an unknown
I had read the thread on Nastysock about the EPIC springs. they look good and appear to make alot of people happy, I'm gonna go with the wagon springs for my 04 when the time comes to replace everything. Obviously I cant speak for the 08+ models but the 02-07 crowd seem happy.