Engine Oil Cooler?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-27-2011, 12:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

ramm21 is an unknown
Engine Oil Cooler??

Hey all, this is really an extension of an earlier thread I had going, and this is it here..
Stage 2 help
This is kind of getting into a new topic, so I thought it deserved its own thread..
Basically, I have a DP in and running stage 2 with an OTS map from Cobb. A couple of people recommended getting an aftermarket TMIC, a BCS, and a Protune. Yesterday I went and talked to a tuner, and he wasn't a big fan of the intercooler, and thought even less of the aftermarket BCSs. He was pushing an engine oil cooler. He said my '11 didn't come with one from the factory, and the engines tend to be way too hot. Is anyone else running something like this? He made it sound like it would be more for preserving and prolonging engine life, rather than performance boosting.. And he said it would be 750 for the parts and install. Any thoughts on this?

-Miguelito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Thats a bit steep for an oil cooler.

You also have to remember you will be needing to use more oil each change.

Why would your tuner not like an aftermarket TMIC ?? I understand tuners have their favorites and such... but.

Wonder if he's getting a kickback on the cooler.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The BCS I guess depends on the tuner, but TMIC is pretty much a must if you want to run more boost.

An engine oil cooler is really only necessary if you make A LOT of power or track the car often enough to see elevated oil temps that could thin the oil enough to cause issues.

If you do get one, make your own for about $400.

-Chris
#4 Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

ramm21 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Thats a bit steep for an oil cooler.

Wonder if he's getting a kickback on the cooler.
That was my initial impression, that he wanted to get rid of one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
The BCS I guess depends on the tuner, but TMIC is pretty much a must if you want to run more boost.
He was saying the opposite was true; having a larger intercooler is useless if your turbo cant push boost.. Well isn't that what the bcs is for? To help push more boost? There is another tuner about an hour and a half away, I'm going to give him a call to see what he has to say about the whole situation..

-Miguelito
#5 Old 07-27-2011, 01:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
To push more boost all you have to do is change your wastegate duty cycles to allow the turbo to spool more... You can run the stock turbo up to 30psi if you want to. BCS only helps in controlling boost more accurately and quicker. The larger intercooler helps cool the increased volume/pressure coming from the turbo vs stock.

C/N: This tuner doesn't sound very good at what he does.

-Chris
#6 Old 07-27-2011, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Go see another tuner.... I'm with Chris

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 07-27-2011, 02:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, god I hate to almost say this. But, look up Shawn Church I believe it is. The same guy that a former member of our forum used to go to. See how far away he is.

Church Automotive Testing

He is a Cobb certified tuner on multiple vehicles and I've seen one or two of his better cars that he tuned in Import Tuner. Plus, two of his cars have been in time attack events. One of them winning the Las Vegas time attack and the other was a podium finisher IRCC.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

ramm21 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Yeah, god I hate to almost say this. But, look up Shawn Church I believe it is. The same guy that a former member of our forum used to go to. See how far away he is.

Church Automotive Testing

He is a Cobb certified tuner on multiple vehicles and I've seen one or two of his better cars that he tuned in Import Tuner. Plus, two of his cars have been in time attack events. One of them winning the Las Vegas time attack and the other was a podium finisher IRCC.
Thanks for the suggestion, but thats in LA which is 4 to 5 hours from Sac easy, so I don't think I'll drive all that way just for a tune.. There is a tuner 1.5 hours from here that I will call, but other than that the Oakland/San Fran area is probs the only other place I can take my car to get tuned..

-Miguelito
#9 Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Find a new tuner. This one is a knows absolutely nothing about what he's doing. No right minded tuner would say that a BCS is a bad thing and nor would one recommend an oil cooler when there is no reason to have one and no proof that you need one (and you don't).
#10 Old 07-27-2011, 08:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Damn, sorry man. Cali is a big ass state like PA. I wasn't sure how close he was to you.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#11 Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
LMAO, "you dont need a aftermarket IC cause the turbo cant push it" thats funny. my 22psi would push my stock TMIC into about 100 pieces! and lets hope that happens first before 200 degree air is blown down into the engine because it cant cool the air and the motor blows a rod or piston right through the block cause it melted a little.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#12 Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

ramm21 is an unknown
Just to wrap up the thread--

Talked to another tuner and he was on board with the tmic and ebcs idea, so i think i got a tuner i like! He also suggested getting an aftermarket bpv to help with the rising boost levels.

I took a roadtrip to Portland this past weekend and visited the Perrin HQ in Hillsboro. They put together a little package for me so i ended up snagging the black tmic with their ebcs and bpv, so im all set with parts now!! I'll wait til the fall to tune though. Next project will be sound deadening the trunk and whatever else i can think of. I love the stage 2 sound, but on these long trips the drone gets to me after a while, plus the ladies aren't too fond of it either

-Miguelito
#13 Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I dont know which Perrin BOV/BPV you got, hope it works out for you. Mine was a piece of junk.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

ramm21 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I dont know which Perrin BOV/BPV you got, hope it works out for you. Mine was a piece of junk.
uh oh thats not a good sign. the one i got is their new design, i guess?? supposed to be all metal, no plastics in the design.. its a bpv, and it has double adjustability. there is a rod u can turn with a hex-key thingy on the inside, and a twisting part on the outside which you can adjust.. it makes the spring more/less springy, works like the different color springs/shims in other bpvs (forge bpv if im not mistaken). There are 5 lines on the outside which serve as a guide for this adjustment on the Perrin unit that i got.. thats all i can tell u from the top of my head.

which one did u have a problem with? was it a leak? something else?

-Miguelito
#15 Old 08-12-2011, 07:04 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
It was that same exact one. For one in my car (an 07) they dont tell you it was designed to work ONLY with the factory TMIC as far as fitment and clearances go. Also its very adjustable, too adjustable if you ask me. I would make the adjustments, and then the car or road (vibrations and bumps) would re-adjust it for me. I "blew" the top off twice when boosting on the car. If you do decide to use it and keep it, and maybe make adjustments, careful with the hose that connects to the top of it, it will kink and twist also. Oh yeah, and my internal piece came from the factory cross threaded. They blamed it on me. I thought it was a great design and it did look nice under the hood (I had a black one), but I ended up having to replace it about 4 months later.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"