Ej255 Vs. Ej257??

I have read a lot of conflictiong information on this
What are the differences/similarities?
Are they both using the same block?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
If the same holds true from the EJ205 and EJ207 comparisons. Then I'd say that the EJ257 probably has some forged internals. What exactly...I couldn't say. Some one correct me if i'm wrong, but...I believe the EJ255 is open deck and the EJ257 is semi-closed. The last thing that i've heard is that the EJ257s are using different cams then the EJ255s. I dunno, what i've heard could all be speculation. But, that's what i've heard and believe to be true. I haven't looked into it to much.
#3 Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx9wagon is a helpful contributing member
What's the difference from the open and simi-closed??

Last edited by wrx9wagon; 01-10-2009 at 10:13 PM.
#4 Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
EJ22T Sleeved to 2.5 That's what I could find from another thread. Read the whole thread if your more curious....

Edit: Basically the cylinder walls are more supported or enclosed in semi-closed and closed decks. Which should allow it to not flex or warp a cylinder wall. The semi-closed isn't as big of a difference as closed deck is though.
#5 Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

I always feel dumb asking questions
But how is it the Ej255 in the wrx and the Ej257 in the sti. I am still new to subarus and just trying to soak all the information I can in. So any insight/knowledge is apriciated.
#6 Old 01-12-2009, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

How is what? In a WRX and a STI? I'm assuming your asking which deck is in both versions? I'm pretty positive that it's.

WRX: open deck
STI: semi-closed

Edit: Man, I can't read. Yes, your correct.

WRX: EJ255
STI: EJ257

Last edited by turmic; 01-12-2009 at 06:52 PM.
#7 Old 01-12-2009, 05:43 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The heads are also different. The STi heads (EJ257) flow better. Not that it matters at stock power levels of a WRX...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

all right so how much would it really matter on the open deck if i was wanting to go around 300-350 hp around what boost is aiming for i guess?

09 wrx if it matters
#9 Old 01-13-2009, 12:51 AM

Garage
The main difference that concerns you between the STi and the WRX is not the engine at all, it's the transmission. The WRX's 5-speed is fragile at that kind of power. It's nothing for the STi's 6-speed.

Also, numbers vary greatly between the flywheel (where car manufacturers rate them) and the road (where dynamometers measure them) so be specific. Also, numbers are just numbers.

#10 Old 01-13-2009, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Very true....plus boost is relative. Like blackbeast has said for his 08. His AVO turbo makes more power with less boost then the stock turbo. So, magical PSI numbers are just numbers as well.

I'm not a expert at this. But, from what I've read in a flame war over on rs2.5 boards. Open deck Forced induction blocks with the lower compression are probably good to 350-400 crank. Open deck natural aspirated 2.5 engines with a turbo conversion probably 300 crank max. It's a highly debated subject over there for conversions or upgrades. Plus, most people over there still consider a wrx engine swap out or a STI SB hybrid for big numbers. Granted...they're still facing a weak transmission problem as well.
#11 Old 01-13-2009, 12:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

opps i thought that i said at the wheels. so really the weak part would be transmission not the block or anything?
#12 Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 PM

Garage
correct

#13 Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

So not that I am anywhere near needing to but would the sti 6 speed bolt up or are there other 6 speeds out there that bolt up correctly?

And the cylinder walls on the opendeck really don't pose much of a problem?
#14 Old 01-13-2009, 06:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Not sure if it's exactly the same as the older pre 08s....but this thread is tailored to 02-07 6 speed swap outs. tranny swap help What I posted was out of Lil Shoaf's huge trans post...which he got from Unabomber's manifesto over on Nasioc.
#15 Old 01-13-2009, 10:50 PM

Garage
I'm pretty sure it's the same as previous years. 90+%. It's not anywhere near a bolt on solution. It's cheaper to trade the WRX in for an STi. Although there are other options, some stronger even than the STi's 6-speed and many cheaper. Most WRX owners, even ones who broke their trannys, probably shouldn't be considering 6-speed swaps.

That said, you should be aware that the tranny is not indestructible, even at stock power levels. Launching your car can cause serious damage if you mess up.