Dyno Pull 09 WRX--Help with results - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-22-2010, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
Dyno Pull 09 WRX--Help with results

Okay so here is the set up:

SuperFlow 880 Dyno (3sx Tuning Concord, NC)
09 WRX
K&N Typhoon
Walbro pump
Tweeked XPT Stage 1

Max HP --238.6
Max Trq--238.5

Dyno tech says a lot of folks don't like his dyno because its "low" and more "realistic". I am okay with that. I am okay with the numbers.

The only thing that puzzles me is his system shows that I was running a max boost of 13.6PSI!!!!!!!!!

My boost guage and RR logs ran at the same time as the dyno pulls all show around 16.5PSI.

What is up with that?

09 WRX K&N Typhoon Walbro 255 SPT BG AEM UEGO Tactrix2.0 XPT Stocks + Winter wheels w/Dunlop WS 3D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2010, 04:56 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Where does it say 13.6 psi and where does it say 16.5 psi? No, that's not normal. The "stock" boost gauge that some people option on a WRX is a piece of crap and shouldn't be used to actually read boost from but if you're logging from the ECU, it should match measured boost closely.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
His dyno sheet shows 13.6 PSI. My RR logs of the same three pulls on the dyno show 16.5 PSI.

My SPT guage is dead on with my RR logs. Never had an issue there.

My AFR and his match. He was using an LC1 in the tailpipe and I was using an AEM UEGO in the downpipe.

Just seems a little wierd.

What do you think of the power numbers?

09 WRX K&N Typhoon Walbro 255 SPT BG AEM UEGO Tactrix2.0 XPT Stocks + Winter wheels w/Dunlop WS 3D
#4 Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Was he Teeing off the BPV? To monitor boost.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 09-22-2010, 07:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
To be honest I didn't ask how he monitored it. I can call him sometime and ask.

#6 Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

chrischilders22 is an unknown
dude if your coming to nc to tune go see todd at motion lab in charlotte. dudes awesome and does great job

turbo xs DP,turbo xs cai, turbo xs FMIC,3port BCS,walbro255 fp, spt catback, perrin BOV, 300ish whp
#7 Old 09-23-2010, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
The numbers seem fine for so few mods. I've never seen a single dyno # post where the person didn't claim that it was done on a "low reading" or "heartbreaker" dyno. Ever. I like that you're ok with what you have, so kudos. Dyno to dyno numbers can change a lot too.

I think stock boost for 09 is like 13.3psi or something...any chance what you were seeing was just some baseline "2009 WRX" car stats and not YOUR actual boost? 16.5 psi is more in line with what I would expect to see with a tune. If both your logs and gauge show that, I believe the 16.5psi.

How did he measure boost? Did he tap a vacuum hose or just read it from the ECU?

edit: Whoops, I see that you said you didn't know.

Last edited by anxiouz; 09-23-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: typo
#8 Old 09-23-2010, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
Okay. I found out today that he tapped the vacuum line on the plenum, not the BOV. He said he had another car on there today that posted exactly what the car showed. I don't know what to believe.

My SPT boost guage shows around 16.5 and my RR logs show the same. On thing I did the logs was that due to the lack of air flow the IAT increased as the revs increased. This caused some knock in the upper revs. As a result the IAM dropped from 1 to .375. This means I lost timing and therefore some power.

On the road I believe I am putting down a little more power.

As far as the numbers....they are just that, numbers. Proof is there when you make a run. I have out pulled several cars that are putting down more power than me.......I think this is funny. They will be puzzled when I show them I only have 238 hp.:

I think I have gains to be made on the tune.....