downpipe install - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Rsubie2008 is an unknown
downpipe install

about how long does it take to install a downpipe on 08 wrx?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-14-2011, 06:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
It depends largely on your skill and how stuck the bolts are, but my first shot on the 08 took about 3 hours. On my 08 STi (where the bolts didn't fight me at all, ever) was a little over an hour. You need to take the intercooler off, it's WAY easier and faster.

post #3 of 5 Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
20 min. but thats for an aftermarket. the OEM takes an hour or two because theres 100 heat shield bolts.

FYI LUBE THE S&*& out of the two top bolts that come out with the two nuts. they can twist because the holes are larger than the bolts in the turbo and DP. when you get a wrench on one side turning one way and another wrench on the other side turning the other way the bolt will bind on the nut and twist it till it strips in on itself. nothing you can do will get it off of there. ive had to cut 2-3 of the nuts off and once the bolt/nut was only on a day or two and not that tight. the nuts on the 3 studs will be no prob.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #4 of 5 Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
If I had a lift, 20 minutes might be more realistic, but I don't. I also have to use regular manual wrenches on most of the DP to turbo bolts as my impact doesn't fit in that tight of a space for 4 of the 5 bolts. I would plan for much more time, and make sure you have another means of transportation in case you strip or cross-thread something. It requires an 8mm wrench (for the intercooler hose clamps, but a screwdriver works too), a 10mm (heat shield, BPV, and intercooler PCV line bolts), 12mm (intercooler and back end of the downpipe nuts) 2X14mm (turbo bolts - 5 of them - 2 with nuts on the back, 2 at the back end of the DP for those bolts), and an O2 sensor socket for, well, the O2 sensor. I think you can use a 7/8" or something too, but I had the socket so I don't remember what size it is exactly. I hope that helps.

post #5 of 5 Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I highly recommend using an OEM gasket for the turbo to DP. I've never seen an aftermarket one that wasn't crap. It should be multi-ply steel. Anything else won't last. Grimmspeed sells good OEM ones, and you'll probably need a good one for the DP to exhaust (probably 3" )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement