Downpipe help - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By General-Leo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

General-Leo is more helpful than not
Downpipe help

Ok so I recently purchashed a Invidia Downpipe Divorced Wastegate Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2013 WRX / STI) from rallysport direct... I thought that I had done my research but right after I bought it I got on the forums and read all kinds of mixed reviews about catless downpipes, so my question is what are some issues that I need to look for?

Is it pretty much a done deal that I am going to have a CEL?

If so, what can I do to fix this problem?

I have also read about possibly having problems with boost creep, assuming this happens to me can I just keep an eye on my boost gauge to make sure it doesn't get out of hand?

Normally after finding something like this out I would just get the (right) part and put that in instead, but I am not made of money so I am trying to make the best of this even though i am a little freaked out now.

Any help or tips would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2013, 01:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by General-Leo View Post
Ok so I recently purchashed a Invidia Downpipe Divorced Wastegate Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2013 WRX / STI) from rallysport direct... I thought that I had done my research but right after I bought it I got on the forums and read all kinds of mixed reviews about catless downpipes, so my question is what are some issues that I need to look for?

I have also read about possibly having problems with boost creep, assuming this happens to me can I just keep an eye on my boost gauge to make sure it doesn't get out of hand?

Normally after finding something like this out I would just get the (right) part and put that in instead, but I am not made of money so I am trying to make the best of this even though i am a little freaked out now.

Are you getting a pro tune after the dp install or just a Cobb stage 2 reflash? Cobb ap doesn't support catless. Properly tuned you shouldn't get creep. I suggest asking your tuner for a low boost map for colder weather. That's generally when you see creep. If ## doing a Cobb stage 2 reflash, then return ## catless downpipe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#3 Old 08-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:

Im assuming you dont have a tune since on your profile your wishlist includes a cobb ap and a cobb catback is the only thing on your list of power mods. You should really get a tune before installing that downpipe (or any). Yes, you will probably get a cel. A tune is the proper way to fix it. Keeping a eye on your boost gauge wont work for keeping boost creep in check. It will be too late to let out by the time you realize your overboosting (assuming you do). If you do get boost creep or spikes, heres your options. Sell the catless dp and get a catted one. Thats what I would do especially given the financial situation you described. Take your turbo off and port the wastegate. Totally not worth the trouble in my opinion unless your really handy with a wrench and carbide bits/sanding rolls. Get a external wastegate (Hell yeah!). Thats what i did but,it isnt cheap though. You could also try seeing if someone could tune it out. Some tuners claim they can tune boost creep out with a 3 port bcs. I tried that route with no luck. Boost creep is more of a mechanical issue than a tuning issue. No matter which route you choose GET TUNED FOR IT!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#4 Old 08-09-2013, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Im assuming you dont have a tune since on your profile your wishlist includes a cobb ap and a cobb catback is the only thing on your list of power mods. You should really get a tune before installing that downpipe (or any). Yes, you will probably get a cel. A tune is the proper way to fix it. Keeping a eye on your boost gauge wont work for keeping boost creep in check. It will be too late to let out by the time you realize your overboosting (assuming you do). If you do get boost creep or spikes, heres your options. Sell the catless dp and get a catted one. Thats what I would do especially given the financial situation you described. Take your turbo off and port the wastegate. Totally not worth the trouble in my opinion unless your really handy with a wrench and carbide bits/sanding rolls. Get a external wastegate (Hell yeah!). Thats what i did but,it isnt cheap though. You could also try seeing if someone could tune it out. Some tuners claim they can tune boost creep out with a 3 port bcs. I tried that route with no luck. Boost creep is more of a mechanical issue than a tuning issue. No matter which route you choose GET TUNED FOR IT!
So just so I am understanding you I could get and external wastegate and not worry about getting the catted DP?
Also if I go with the EWG is there anything I have to do besides install it?
and lastly... with EWG and the catless DP is a cobb STG 2 safe to use then, or is a pro tune still recomended?

Thank you for helping I am quite upset that I found all of this info AFTER I purchased the catless, but thats how shit goes sometimes right? haha
#5 Old 08-09-2013, 03:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

well thank you for helping but I decided that I didn't want to mess with the headache or constaely worrying about something bad happening so I just bought ordered a catted pipe after learning that I can return the catless one as long as it is in the same packaging that they sent it to me in.
the RIOT act likes this.
#6 Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
So just so I am understanding you I could get and external wastegate and not worry about getting the catted DP?
Also if I go with the EWG is there anything I have to do besides install it?
and lastly... with EWG and the catless DP is a cobb STG 2 safe to use then, or is a pro tune still recomended?

Thank you for helping I am quite upset that I found all of this info AFTER I purchased the catless, but thats how shit goes sometimes right? haha
Yes, you could get the ewg and not worry about getting a catted dp. It's not gaurenteed that your even going to get boost creep though. For a ewg set-up you will need the wastegate, uppipe, dumptube, gaskets, 3 port bcs, install, and a pro tune.

Quote:
well thank you for helping but I decided that I didn't want to mess with the headache or constaely worrying about something bad happening so I just bought ordered a catted pipe after learning that I can return the catless one as long as it is in the same packaging that they sent it to me in.
Probably the best choice you could have made!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Quote:
Gettin the catted downpipe was the best decision. And the cheapest. With a catted dp just go stage 2. With a catless dp you have more risk of problem( boost creep/spike) like boo said. Then you need a ewg more of a headache. Good choice on the catted dp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#8 Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

yeah I'm sure I will be happy with it, it just sucks right now because the catless one has not come in yet for me to be able to return it for the money... so right now my credit card looks a little crazy haha.