Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Downpipe help (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/downpipe-help-37745/)

General-Leo 08-09-2013 11:59 AM

Downpipe help

Ok so I recently purchashed a Invidia Downpipe Divorced Wastegate Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2013 WRX / STI) from rallysport direct... I thought that I had done my research but right after I bought it I got on the forums and read all kinds of mixed reviews about catless downpipes, so my question is what are some issues that I need to look for?

Is it pretty much a done deal that I am going to have a CEL?

If so, what can I do to fix this problem?

I have also read about possibly having problems with boost creep, assuming this happens to me can I just keep an eye on my boost gauge to make sure it doesn't get out of hand?

Normally after finding something like this out I would just get the (right) part and put that in instead, but I am not made of money so I am trying to make the best of this even though i am a little freaked out now.

Any help or tips would be appreciated!

NeverSummer 08-09-2013 01:18 PM

[quote=General-Leo;334841]Ok so I recently purchashed a Invidia Downpipe Divorced Wastegate Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2013 WRX / STI) from rallysport direct... I thought that I had done my research but right after I bought it I got on the forums and read all kinds of mixed reviews about catless downpipes, so my question is what are some issues that I need to look for?

I have also read about possibly having problems with boost creep, assuming this happens to me can I just keep an eye on my boost gauge to make sure it doesn't get out of hand?

Normally after finding something like this out I would just get the (right) part and put that in instead, but I am not made of money so I am trying to make the best of this even though i am a little freaked out now.

Any help or tips would be appreciated![/quote]

Are you getting a pro tune after the dp install or just a Cobb stage 2 reflash? Cobb ap doesn't support catless. Properly tuned you shouldn't get creep. I suggest asking your tuner for a low boost map for colder weather. That's generally when you see creep. If ## doing a Cobb stage 2 reflash, then return ## catless downpipe.

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com App[/url][/color]

boo-key bear 08-09-2013 01:40 PM

[quote=General-Leo;334841]Ok so I recently purchashed a Invidia Downpipe Divorced Wastegate Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2013 WRX / STI) from rallysport direct... I thought that I had done my research but right after I bought it I got on the forums and read all kinds of mixed reviews about catless downpipes, so my question is what are some issues that I need to look for?

Any help or tips would be appreciated![/quote]

Im assuming you dont have a tune since on your profile your wishlist includes a cobb ap and a cobb catback is the only thing on your list of power mods. You should really get a tune before installing that downpipe (or any). Yes, you will probably get a cel. A tune is the proper way to fix it. Keeping a eye on your boost gauge wont work for keeping boost creep in check. It will be too late to let out by the time you realize your overboosting (assuming you do). If you do get boost creep or spikes, heres your options. Sell the catless dp and get a catted one. Thats what I would do especially given the financial situation you described. Take your turbo off and port the wastegate. Totally not worth the trouble in my opinion unless your really handy with a wrench and carbide bits/sanding rolls. Get a external wastegate (Hell yeah!). Thats what i did but,it isnt cheap though. You could also try seeing if someone could tune it out. Some tuners claim they can tune boost creep out with a 3 port bcs. I tried that route with no luck. Boost creep is more of a mechanical issue than a tuning issue. No matter which route you choose GET TUNED FOR IT!

General-Leo 08-09-2013 02:56 PM

[quote=boo-key bear;335001]Im assuming you dont have a tune since on your profile your wishlist includes a cobb ap and a cobb catback is the only thing on your list of power mods. You should really get a tune before installing that downpipe (or any). Yes, you will probably get a cel. A tune is the proper way to fix it. Keeping a eye on your boost gauge wont work for keeping boost creep in check. It will be too late to let out by the time you realize your overboosting (assuming you do). If you do get boost creep or spikes, heres your options. Sell the catless dp and get a catted one. Thats what I would do especially given the financial situation you described. Take your turbo off and port the wastegate. Totally not worth the trouble in my opinion unless your really handy with a wrench and carbide bits/sanding rolls. Get a external wastegate (Hell yeah!). Thats what i did but,it isnt cheap though. You could also try seeing if someone could tune it out. Some tuners claim they can tune boost creep out with a 3 port bcs. I tried that route with no luck. Boost creep is more of a mechanical issue than a tuning issue. No matter which route you choose GET TUNED FOR IT![/quote]

So just so I am understanding you I could get and external wastegate and not worry about getting the catted DP?
Also if I go with the EWG is there anything I have to do besides install it?
and lastly... with EWG and the catless DP is a cobb STG 2 safe to use then, or is a pro tune still recomended?

Thank you for helping I am quite upset that I found all of this info AFTER I purchased the catless, but thats how shit goes sometimes right? haha

General-Leo 08-09-2013 03:43 PM

well thank you for helping but I decided that I didn't want to mess with the headache or constaely worrying about something bad happening so I just bought ordered a catted pipe after learning that I can return the catless one as long as it is in the same packaging that they sent it to me in.

boo-key bear 08-09-2013 06:07 PM

[quote=General-Leo;335073]So just so I am understanding you I could get and external wastegate and not worry about getting the catted DP?
Also if I go with the EWG is there anything I have to do besides install it?
and lastly... with EWG and the catless DP is a cobb STG 2 safe to use then, or is a pro tune still recomended?

Thank you for helping I am quite upset that I found all of this info AFTER I purchased the catless, but thats how shit goes sometimes right? haha[/quote]

Yes, you could get the ewg and not worry about getting a catted dp. It's not gaurenteed that your even going to get boost creep though. For a ewg set-up you will need the wastegate, uppipe, dumptube, gaskets, 3 port bcs, install, and a pro tune.

[quote=General-Leo;335161]well thank you for helping but I decided that I didn't want to mess with the headache or constaely worrying about something bad happening so I just bought ordered a catted pipe after learning that I can return the catless one as long as it is in the same packaging that they sent it to me in.[/quote]

Probably the best choice you could have made! !Thumbs Up

06_hawk_eye 08-09-2013 09:01 PM

[quote=General-Leo;335161]well thank you for helping but I decided that I didn't want to mess with the headache or constaely worrying about something bad happening so I just bought ordered a catted pipe after learning that I can return the catless one as long as it is in the same packaging that they sent it to me in.[/quote]

Gettin the catted downpipe was the best decision. And the cheapest. With a catted dp just go stage 2. With a catless dp you have more risk of problem( boost creep/spike) like boo said. Then you need a ewg more of a headache. Good choice on the catted dp.

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com App[/url][/color]

General-Leo 08-10-2013 05:52 AM

yeah I'm sure I will be happy with it, it just sucks right now because the catless one has not come in yet for me to be able to return it for the money... so right now my credit card looks a little crazy haha.