DO i need a tune for an intake - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I deleted your post Paul because it was a reply to a post I deleted for being shop bashing. Thus it was out of context once the post it was in reply to was removed. Any further questions, and just any questions on moderation in general, PLEASE PM ME.

Thanks

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 03-29-2010, 05:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Ok hoss, just asking because I have done that previously (while back).

Wasn't questioning anything bud, sorry.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#18 Old 03-30-2010, 04:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Technically, the inlet is part of the "intake" Mosc.... Justing wasn't vendor bashing... it was a parts bash. I don't see that anywhere in the forum rules. Can you direct me to that please ? Thanks.
Actually, it was vendor bashing (though doubtfully a vendor on here). But it most certainly wasn't without warrant. It was more of a warning.

Anyways, back to the topic. All intakes would benefit from tuning, but not all require it. The list that was taken from Unabomber's Manifesto in the second post needs to be revised as
2 of the listed ones do require adjustments and other intakes that don't are not included due to lack of updating on Unabomber's part.
#19 Old 03-30-2010, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
I have a sub question for this; When you get tuned for an intake (or just in general), does it still go full lean when you get off the throttle and let the engine slow you down? Prior to intake it was reading 25's on the Cobb AP (which reads off the O2 sensor after the cat and is inaccurate, I know), but seems like any time idle or cruizing it's perfect. I now have an AEM wideband and it only reads up to 18 for some reason so it goes full lean in the same scenario but I can't tell how much... Is that normal or should a pro tune fix it a bit? I will have to wait for the tune another week I think

Joe

Only use roads to get to the dirt; Then keep it sideways! >;D
#20 Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Abismo is an unknown
The real question is.... why do you need an intake in the first place?
#21 Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^90% of the intakes out there do produce power.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#22 Old 06-26-2010, 10:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Peter88 is an unknown
I went with aem for my 09 wrx due to the fact aem seemed to nail it with matching stock set up and after 30kms no problems at all. Now I have a cobb stage 2 set up and had to remove cai for safety. I ran the car for a week with stage 2 and cai with no problems, smooth and pulled hard and after going to stock intake it seems to lack something.....oh and afr readings if I remember where pretty much the same. Anyone else try this intake out?
#23 Old 06-27-2010, 01:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter88 View Post
I went with aem for my 09 wrx due to the fact aem seemed to nail it with matching stock set up and after 30kms no problems at all. Now I have a cobb stage 2 set up and had to remove cai for safety. I ran the car for a week with stage 2 and cai with no problems, smooth and pulled hard and after going to stock intake it seems to lack something.....oh and afr readings if I remember where pretty much the same. Anyone else try this intake out?
Do you have a wideband? If not, any AFR readings you're looking at are inaccurate. The AFR gauge on the AP is useless.
#24 Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I could finally get a tactrix cable and do a couple pulls with the perrin cai on and then swap the stock back in...I have an innovate wideband so it would be accurate. That all hinges on me buying a tactrix.

Oh and to Smokin' Joe's post in March, yes the car still goes full lean when you're off the gas. It goes back to stoich when you get at or below 1700 rpm's so under that point it will try to hold 14.7:1.

-Chris
#25 Old 06-27-2010, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Joe View Post
I have a sub question for this; When you get tuned for an intake (or just in general), does it still go full lean when you get off the throttle and let the engine slow you down? Prior to intake it was reading 25's on the Cobb AP (which reads off the O2 sensor after the cat and is inaccurate, I know), but seems like any time idle or cruizing it's perfect. I now have an AEM wideband and it only reads up to 18 for some reason so it goes full lean in the same scenario but I can't tell how much... Is that normal or should a pro tune fix it a bit? I will have to wait for the tune another week I think
like wetdream was saying yes it goes full lean. i have an innovative wideband and it goes to 21.9. when you lift off the trottle the ECU shuts down the fuel injectors while still in gear. if you coast you'll be at idle (14.7ish)

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#26 Old 06-27-2010, 01:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It's fun to see my egt gauge drop below 400 (bottom of the gauge) when I'm coasting down some of canyons out here. Direct result of zero fuel going into the cylinders.

-Chris
#27 Old 08-08-2010, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

LewdWRX is an unknown
I have an 09 WRX with an AEM UEGO, Tactrix 2.0, and a K&N Tyhpoon.

You will find that your AFR's are probably correct but your timing will be all over the place on the stock tune. The car will pull timing and you will probably have alot of KCA variances. I also noticed minor amounts of FLKC (around -1.0) at certain RPMs. I got a tune and it cleared all the FLKC up and KCA is very stable now.

These cars run about 14.5:1 up to 4000RPM then transition to 11.4:1 after it goes OL around 4500RPM. That is LEAN for WOT underboost. That is the way they were tuned from the factory. That's why the power band is so bumpy. A tune will make it smooth!

Bottom line I don't think you get much out of the intake without a tune, except the cool sound of course!