• 1 Post By AllExtinct
  • 2 Post By arewmors
  • 1 Post By Ruse01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ruse01 is an unknown
Cobb stage 1 or 2

Hi all just looking future mods for my 06 wrx, found myself on the COBB website and spotted different Cobb tuning/mod stages. I saw there is 2 stages and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these and if I would need to buy stage 1 before stage 2 as logic would suggest even tho stage 2 appears to have the same parts. This is a it confusing for me sorry if my question is unclear basically wondering if these are a good for someone as mechanically inept is I am ha ha.
Stage 1
COBB Tuning - Subaru STI, WRX, FXT Stage 1 Power Package with V3
Stage 2
COBB Tuning - Subaru 06-07 WRX Stage 2 Power Package with V3

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ruse01 is an unknown
Sorry wrong section can a admin move this please.
Multitasking is not for everyone.
#3 Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

Soobs02WRX is an unknown
If you buy the cobb accessport V3 It comes with the maps preloaded on the device already. for stage 2 it says you need after market intake and I think catback/ aftermarket exhaust. stage 3 you need the sti pink injectors and bigger turbo and couple other things I think? I have this bad boy for my 02 wrx. I LOVE IT!!!! Good Luck Dude! Im on stage 2 and itttts nice.
Ruse01 likes this.
#4 Old 04-16-2014, 07:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is more helpful than not
Garage
Stage 1 is a basic engine tune, which you can get by just purchasing a COBB AccessPort tuning device. There are some variations of this with an intake, but Stage 1 is essentially an engine tune.

Stage 2 is an exhaust upgrade AND engine tune, specifically an aftermarket downpipe with an engine tune that takes advantage of the unbottled exhaust flow. This is a pic of a tubo downpipe:

Using the engine tunes supplied in the AccessPort device, referred to as maps, and compatible hardware, you can estimate the improvement for a vehicle in good mechanical condition, as follows:

I'm likely getting close to 255 Hp and 255 TQ with this simple Stage 1, 91 Octane engine tune, over the 227 Hp and 217 TQ factory rating.

Note: A downpipe upgrade is best done as part of a matching turbo-back exhaust system AND a cat-less turbo up-pipe. The cat-less turbo up-pipe is to protect the turbo.
Ruse01 likes this.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 04-16-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: DP upgrade
#5 Old 04-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
06 has a factory catless uppipe. You don't have to go stage 1 before going to stage 2. You can skip straight to stage 2 if you want or just go stage 1 until your ready to purchase the rest of the hardware for stage 2.
LW_Black4 and Ruse01 like this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#6 Old 04-16-2014, 09:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Stage 1 is only a driveability improvement, not so much a power one. That's stage 2. That being said, whatever you get in the end I would still get a custom tune over running one of the included OTS maps. Those maps are pretty bad and in some cases even dangerous to use.

IMHO the Cobb packages are overpriced for what they are. You can piece meal them for less than buying everything as a package. That filter and the heat shield are just up-sells to increase sales, not really parts you need. The stock heatshield is better than that one anyways.
#7 Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Ruse,

The Cobb packages have 1 part in common, the access port. Thats the part i would pickup first. its just a little computer that plugs into your OBD2 port (under your dash) and talks to your ECU. If your not mechanically inclined then a stage 1 is perfect for you - nothing to bolt on or remove just plug in the cable and flash the map you are interested in using.

If your on the fence about which stage to choose then I would start with a stage 1 drive a bit with it and monitor the car then move to stage 2 if it suits your fancy. If you have a chance send a sample of your used oil to blackstone for testing just to make sure there aren't any underlying issues that might be exacerbated by an increase in boost. I just did stage 1 on my 13 and I am very pleased with the change. If you dont plan to track your car then i recommend a stage 1 tune.

If you have any additional questions about install/configuration i just did a stage 1+SF intake this weekend so its still fresh in my mind.
Ruse01 likes this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#8 Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
If you end up going with the stage 2 setup check up on your local emission laws where your located you might be able to go with a catless DP to save you on some money since the catted DP's are a arm and a leg.
If they are strict you could always do the once a year switcharoo and reflash for inspection.
Ruse01 likes this.
#9 Old 04-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
The OTS maps are meant to be used with a catted dp. You can try your luck with a catless but you may get boost creep. You're better off getting a catted dp and saving yourself the headaches down the road. Don't cheap out, you wanna be cheap mod Hondas. You won't really gain all that much more power by using the catless anyways. Much less chance for boost creep and it's a little cleaner

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#10 Old 04-17-2014, 05:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ruse01 is an unknown
Thanks everyone for the feedback it's all great information.
I think based on the information I'm best to go stage 1 or AP V3 alone. Gives me the option to later grab the catted DP or full TBE. Am curious tho as I have just a standard exhaust I can't really hear the sexy engine noise, is there away to hear it without a full exhaust system?
For example would I be able to grab say just a muffler or even a downpipe and gradually buy bits an peaces as I go. Been eying off a xforce varex muffler as I'm a shift worker and need to be quiet in the early hours of the morning buton open road and daylight hours. I warn to hear that sexy sexy boxer rumble
#11 Old 04-17-2014, 05:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ruse01 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewmors View Post
you wanna be cheap mod Hondas.
Ha ha funny story, when buying this beast I had a choice between 3 cars. A honda civic fully worked made to look like the ones from the first fast and furious, a Mitsubishi evo 7 with 220kw atw or my stock standard 06 wrx.
The honda looked cheap and more like a hot wheels toy car. It was horrible but to each his own
arewmors likes this.
#12 Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
You could have a new muffler welded on which would unlock a little more of that rumble. Which would also be the cheapest option. But when you get a full exhaust you would be paying for something twice. If you are looking for the rumble get a Cat-back exhaust and then later you can purchase the dp and that way you are not wasting money IMO

05 WRX Wagon - East Coast Swappers Protuned "Stage 4" w/Cobb AP
#13 Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Go on nasioc in the classifieds and look for a used aftermarket catback. No tune is required for that.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ