Cobb AP Dyno numbers? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

red104dr is an unknown
Cobb AP Dyno numbers?

Has anyone compared Cobbs AP dyno numbers to a real dyno., and if so how accurate are they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It really depends. You need to be pretty accurate with your weight and if the road has a slope to it, your numbers will also be skewed.

-Chris
#3 Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
In my few tries with it it has been very off what I know my car to put down. One time I was putting down 29x AWHP, some numbers and everything the next run I put down 38x (car was putting down a solid 330AWHP at the time). Like Chris said there are so many variables. To be honest not sure why mine were so far off, but numbers are just numbers to me.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

red104dr is an unknown
I aways thought these were calculated engine HP numbers not WHP. As far as flat roads, we have no shortage of those around here.
#5 Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
Well, for reference: On a mustang dyno I put out 281 whp and 304 tq. on a flat road in 3rd gear from 2,200 rpms to 6k the Cobb AP said I had 340hp and 350 or 360tq (I'm not looking at the dyno log so torque is right around that on it, sorry, lol). HUGE difference! I know mustang's are the "heartbreaker' and read really low, but whatever. I like both of those numbers with just a turbo back and an intake =D

Joe

Only use roads to get to the dirt; Then keep it sideways! >;D
#6 Old 09-01-2010, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

red104dr is an unknown
Thanks, that's what I was wundering, AP numbers seemed pretty high.
#7 Old 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The AP dyno, as with all accelerometer based "dyno" applications, are completely bogus and serve no purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Joe View Post
Well, for reference: On a mustang dyno I put out 281 whp and 304 tq. on a flat road in 3rd gear from 2,200 rpms to 6k the Cobb AP said I had 340hp and 350 or 360tq (I'm not looking at the dyno log so torque is right around that on it, sorry, lol). HUGE difference! I know mustang's are the "heartbreaker' and read really low, but whatever. I like both of those numbers with just a turbo back and an intake =D
Not really.
#8 Old 09-06-2010, 03:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Numbers don't mean anything at all. If you really want to know for some reason get your car tuned on a dyno

2003 WRX Hybrid build,

Brian
#9 Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post

Not really.
For the same car that put down 320 WHP on a Mustang Dyno did 345 WHP on whatever that one you take the wheels off and hook it up, I think 25 WHP is a pretty big difference. Mustangs consistently read lower than any other dyno. Check out IWSTI for more references on this. Regardless, you can't truly compare numbers from one to the other, just increases on the same dyno are relevant for actual gains so it's neither here nor there.

Joe

Only use roads to get to the dirt; Then keep it sideways! >;D
#10 Old 09-09-2010, 02:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

red104dr is an unknown
I've been using the dyno numbers to check the gains for different mods, and to anticipate the need for more upgrades, ie trans. , engine internals.

Last edited by red104dr; 09-09-2010 at 03:52 PM.
#11 Old 09-11-2010, 02:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Joe View Post
For the same car that put down 320 WHP on a Mustang Dyno did 345 WHP on whatever that one you take the wheels off and hook it up, I think 25 WHP is a pretty big difference. Mustangs consistently read lower than any other dyno. Check out IWSTI for more references on this. Regardless, you can't truly compare numbers from one to the other, just increases on the same dyno are relevant for actual gains so it's neither here nor there.
I don't need to reference IWSTI for something that's common knowledge. I know if a high reading Mustang dyno (happens to be local to you). I know of a low reading Mustang. The point is that they are not in any way by and large "very low reading" or "heartbreakers". And as you said, you can't compare numbers from one dyno to another.