Cobb AP - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

bizzle is more helpful than not
Send a message via Yahoo to bizzle
No problem.

As for the debate over open source vs AP, it will always come down to personal preference. You have to ask yourself if you a the plug-and-play type of person that likes to take it a little bit on the safe side while still having the ability to get custom tunes, or the type that really likes to tinker more and have more control over how you prefer to have your car tuned?

There are ups and downs to either side- just gotta do your homework and decide for yourself how you want to approach it. Might also help a lot to ask your tuner which they prefer to work with.

Oh- and another nice thing about the Stage 1- and I am sure an open source tune would do the same- gas mileage actually goes up a little with just moderate driving. Course, if you constantly run it hard to the upper ranges you're going to lose it, but with crappy 91 ACN gas I am averaging 20 city and about 25 highway depending on the elevation changes. I have to make regular trips between Las Vegas, Boise and Chico, CA every month- poor Subie getting quite a few miles now that I am back from Iraq.

-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-17-2010, 07:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

tonyturbo13 is an unknown
*UPDATE*
I just ordered the Turbo XS catback exhaust yesterday. I've never done an exhaust swap so bear with me...Is it necessary to get new gaskets? If so which ones? I saw Grimmspeed exhaust gaskets on fredbeans.com. Also, any benefit from swapping the OEM exhaust hangers to aftermarket ones like the ones from COBB? They're sold individually, how many will I need? The links below are in reference to the parts I was talking about. Thanks in advance.

GrimmSpeed Downpipe to 3" Exhaust Gasket 2X Thick

Cobb Urethane Exhaust Hangers
#33 Old 10-17-2010, 09:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
they give you everything you need, just bolt it on

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#34 Old 10-17-2010, 11:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

cool, thanks. So no need to "upgrade" the exhaust hangers at all?
#35 Old 10-18-2010, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

they had issues i guess where people needed longer ones but i think its fixed

#36 Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

*UPDATE*

The Turbo XS catback was on back order with no projected resupply date so I ended up purchasing the Invidia Q300 dual exhaust setup. Anyone running this exhaust?
#37 Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

wow thats night and day haha, open header vs stock sounding in a way

#38 Old 10-21-2010, 02:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

mista jc is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyturbo13 View Post
*UPDATE*

The Turbo XS catback was on back order with no projected resupply date so I ended up purchasing the Invidia Q300 dual exhaust setup. Anyone running this exhaust?

From what I heard, it is the QUIETEST dual catback in the market as of now. But users also report, it sounds FRIGGIN AWESOME in boost/wot.
#39 Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

lovinboostsmp is an unknown
I hate my Cobb AP if your interested ill sell you mine. Its been in my car for all of 2 days. went back to a regular map. found out this morning my motec m800 was shipped. If your interested pm me.

as your map. go to a tuner spend the 100 bucks get your custom tune done and call it a day. Any real modification and the AP is out the door and your onto a complete different board.
#40 Old 10-21-2010, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

I heard some sound clips and liked the way the Invidia Q300 sounded. I'm alright with it being quieter than the Turbo XS. Should I get a high flow cat while I'm at it? Pros and cons for this mod? As far as the Accessport goes, I'm going to talk to few shops and tuners first, thanks for the offer though...
#41 Old 02-03-2011, 11:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

UPDATE: Been running the Invidia Q300 catback exhaust for a while now and loving it. Just came across a hell of a bargain on a Cobb AP (AP-SUB-003), slightly used for $250, original box and all original contents. This is an in-person deal, not online so is there anything to check for, besides making sure that it's unmarried on the AP? I know many of you suggested a custom tune but seeing that it's ony $250 and the fact that I won't be going Stage 2 anytime soon, I think it's a good deal...suggestions?
#42 Old 02-03-2011, 05:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
That's a great deal. And the only thing to look for, to answer your question, is that it's been unmarried.
#43 Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

It was unmarried, so I went ahead and took it off his hands. The guy even let me install it, go for a spin in the car before I paid him too just to make sure that it was good to go. The only thing that was missing was the USB cable to connect to a pc but those are pretty cheap. The USB cable from my Playstation 3 controller did the trick and I updated the firmware. Guess everything worked out fine...
#44 Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Good deal and as far as the one comment considering after custom tune the AP is useless. That is completely false. My car has a custom AP tune and its running great just like a couple of other members on this forum. If your going to go hog wild right away....then its pretty stupid to get a AP. Otherwise its a great starting point and any tuner worth his weight in gold can get Cobb certified and be able to tune for it.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae