Cobb AP - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-15-2010, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

tonyturbo13 is an unknown
synolimit, that's what I was thinking of doing. I won't need a custom tune for the catback alone right? I'll run it with just the catback for a while while I obtain the other parts, but not install them. Once I have the parts that I want and enough money for the tune, I'll get them installed and the car tuned. That's the gameplan for now. I'm going to look into the downpipes that you mentioned. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
I love the AP,what is sweet is that you can buy parts one or a couple at a time and your tunner can make you a map to thow on the AP for each part,and also the fact that I can run pump gas if Im not by a station that carries E85 with just a 30sec map change.....And I dont know about all shops but mine gives free maps with your parts purchass's,witch is a hell of a lot cheeper than getting a pro tune each time you make a purchass!
#18 Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

mista jc is an unknown
Not to mention if you're a 08-10 guy, car's are pretty low mileage. In case you need warranty work done just uninstall your goodies and the AP will save your OEM ECU settings, then load those back up.

Isn't the oem ECU irreversible on open source tunes? Or is there a way to save the OEM ECU settings onto your laptop/tactrix cable ? I'm new to tuning Subarus also
#19 Old 09-16-2010, 11:57 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you use opensource you need to have your stock map saved. Idk how the tuners do it if you go straight to them and have it done tho.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#20 Old 09-18-2010, 10:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
You can do all that and more as stated with a $170 tactrix cable and a AP. Thoughs features aren't special. As as for your tuner sending out maps with added on parts, no thank you! I don't want someone elses map not made for my car. That's the whole point behind a custom or protune. It's yours for your motor not someone elses. And it's not cheaper in the long run. I'm sure your not getting a huge discount on the parts if there giving away a "free map.". And you don't need to buy one thing at a time and MUST put it on that day. It's not a big deal to add 4-5 parts then go get a tune. I'll have gone 3 times when I'm done. First- TBE, UP, LWP, CAI, 3-port, and plugs. Second was FMIC, 2.5 more psi, blow-through, and summer fuel. NO WAY!!!! I'm trusting that to a OTS free map!! Third will be EWG, headers, injectors, more boost, gas and E85 tune. Again no way I'm trusting a OTS map. 320-330 hp and over 400tq can't be trusted unless it's for your car. The AP again should be for the guy that lives 6hrs plus from a tuner and ONLY plans on going stage two. Everyone else need open source.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#21 Old 09-18-2010, 08:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
your right either way works,I'm just saying I like the ap its easy to use and its what my tuner"rallitek" likes to use,sure I guess I could of saved a couple hundred dollars but I'm in well over 10g's at this point so whats a hundred bucks!...and as far as the free maps Sean made thoes maps to work with the parts he sells "yes you can maybe squeeze some more out of you car with a custom pro tune" but as far as the ots maps they provide they are safe and work great...Sean's ots maps are on quite a few 3g's around here all with no problems running with good hp/tq numbers
#22 Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
tactrix cable and laptop...synolimit.

It is personal preference and if someone has the money to burn. Its their choice...

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#23 Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
I've still got a tactrix 2.0 cable if anyone needs it, $155 shipped. I've sold stuff to manshow and airplnmdls on here, I'm sure they'll both vouch for me.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#24 Old 09-20-2010, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
I agree with the person that mentioned power levels. I think anything stage 2 or 3 and below, AP is just fine. Those OTS maps are pretty conservative and safe. But yeah, if you go E85 or are moving into the mid 300whp's then I would only trust a custom tune. But AP is just fine for <=300whp IMO.
#25 Old 09-20-2010, 11:07 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouz View Post
I agree with the person that mentioned power levels. I think anything stage 2 or 3 and below, AP is just fine. Those OTS maps are pretty conservative and safe. But yeah, if you go E85 or are moving into the mid 300whp's then I would only trust a custom tune. But AP is just fine for <=300whp IMO.
Im running 330 AWHP with the Cobb AP. What does any magic number have to do with what type of EM you use? I have 8 custom maps on my AP (10 if you count the wastegate values that are put on there also) and it costs me about $350 (and just over an hours time on a dyno). EM is partly based on the user, and more so based on what a tuner is comfortable with.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#26 Old 09-21-2010, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisiX View Post
I've sold stuff to manshow and airplnmdls on here, I'm sure they'll both vouch for me.
Indeed I will - vouched

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#27 Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'm just looking to install a 3" downpipe (considering the Invidia one) not sure if I want to go with a bellmouth or divorced piece...suggestions? A 3" cat-back exhaust (Turbo XS) and I'm debating on o TMIC or a FMIC. If I go with the TMIC, I'm considering the Perrin piece and if I go with the FMIC, I'm considering the Turbo XS setup. If I can get the Cobb AP custom tuned, I think I'll go with it. I like the fact that I can reflash to stock if necessary and its other features as well.
#28 Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 PM

Bellmouth design for a DP, there arent really many (if any) true divorced wastegate designed ones out there (or that are designed that well). As far as an I/C goes. Thats kind of personal preference, I run a TMIC with my 20G and love it, but have also known people to run a FMIC on a stock turbo and think it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#29 Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

bizzle is more helpful than not
Send a message via Yahoo to bizzle
If you care to know, I am running just Cobb AP Stage 1 on an otherwise stock 09 hatch with the factory SPT exhaust.

Power-wise, the powerband shifted up in RPM a bit over stock. The biggest difference was how much smoother the engine revs. Power delivery is much smoother over stock tune, and I won't even think of going back.

Right now I still have a Perrin TMIC and Cobb catted DP sitting in the garage to be put on, along with some sways and endlinks. Just haven't had the time.....

-D
#30 Old 10-08-2010, 11:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

^ Bizzle - Thanks! That's whay I originally wanted to know!