Cobb AP - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tonyturbo13 is an unknown
Cobb AP

Ok guys, I have a real simple question and if the answer is out there somewhere in the forums, don't flame me and help me out by pointing me in the right directions via a link. I don't have much time to research and search around the forums for answers to questions I may have, due to my job. Ok, onto my question. I've read that the stock tune on the 09 and up WRX is dangerously lean. I've even heard that I should be cautious when driving it hard or red lining it. Not too long ago I heard that the regular AccessPort Stage 1 map can correct this. Is it true that it will smooth out the powerband and also add some hp while making the tune safer? Anyone out there running just a Stage 1 map on an otherwise stock 09 and up WRX that can vouch for this? I've been debating on getting a catback exhaust or the Cobb AP as my first real mod. Any light that can be shed this way concerning this will be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 09-13-2010, 10:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
yes this is true...but a custom tune will work better, and probably gain more HP

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #3 of 44 Old 09-13-2010, 10:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
And be a lot less expensive.

-Chris
post #4 of 44 Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
yeah you could probably get 3-4 custom tunes just for the initial investment of an AP

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #5 of 44 Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
But none of the features that the AP has to offer.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 44 Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

lol RomRaider + Netbook + Car Mount! still less than AP FTMFW! and you can haz interwebz everywhere!

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #7 of 44 Old 09-14-2010, 06:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
But trying to find the "right" tuner for OpenSource isn't as easy as most make it out to be.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #8 of 44 Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
True, but try to find a good tuner who likes to work with the AP... LOL. I love the AP so don't get me wrong, but you can monitor everything on your laptop just the same with the cable and software at half the cost. Etunes are fine for just a stage 1. I honestly don't trust running something much past that. I ran the stage 1 and stage 2 Cobb maps for quite some time before I had a pro tune with the AP and it really did run well. One thing I highly recommend is an electronic boost gauge for certain (since it will up your boost a little, it's necessary to monitor it's not overboosting or leaking at all). I think the AP is worth it, but the stage 1 is actually meant for having a cat back exhaust already so... It'll be hard to decide eh? you can put a cat back on with no negatives at all, maybe 5 HP increase if you're lucky and a nice sound. Once you get it tuned or reflash the ECU to stage 1 then you'll notice it right away!

Joe

Only use roads to get to the dirt; Then keep it sideways! >;D
post #9 of 44 Old 09-14-2010, 08:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

well OP is incredibly lucky to live in Miami...there are tuners everywhere down there!

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #10 of 44 Old 09-14-2010, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
For minimal mods, or incremental modding the car, I think the AP is a great choice. But once you've got anything more than a tbe and intake I'd find a tuner. But getting an AP and using that as you mod the car, and then selling the AP once you get a protune is the way to go. You'll recoop maybe half the AP cost so for the price you've gotten some good use out of it.
post #11 of 44 Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It still offers quite a few goodies on it....

On top of the goodies.... you can get your own racetuner software from COBB directly.... Easier to use than RomRaider from what I've seen....

But good point on the selling afterwards....

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #12 of 44 Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. As far as mods go, I'm not going to go all out. I went all out with my last project car, fully built all motor Integra GSR and ended up selling it for a fraction of what I put into it. I really like the way the WRX performs and was thinking of a Turbo XS catback exhaust, Cobb downpipe, K&N drop in air filter, Perrin TMIC and the Cobb AP. I won't need to upgrade the fuel system for that setup should I? So, back to my original question, I can get the Turbo XS catback and not need a tune and this will not affect the already lean tune from the factory? Again, thanks for the input guys.
post #13 of 44 Old 09-14-2010, 06:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyturbo13 View Post
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. As far as mods go, I'm not going to go all out. I went all out with my last project car, fully built all motor Integra GSR and ended up selling it for a fraction of what I put into it. I really like the way the WRX performs and was thinking of a Turbo XS catback exhaust, Cobb downpipe, K&N drop in air filter, Perrin TMIC and the Cobb AP. I won't need to upgrade the fuel system for that setup should I? So, back to my original question, I can get the Turbo XS catback and not need a tune and this will not affect the already lean tune from the factory? Again, thanks for the input guys.
just to add in some things. the Cobb is a nice DP but goes 3" tapering to 2.5" where the cat is and attaches to the TBE. so not only do you lose spool and power with the cat you lose more with the taper. other DPs are out there with cats that stay full 3" and still a lot less money!

no you dont need to upgrade the fuel system but if you add all thoughs parts your gonna need a custom tune making your AP useless as a stage 2 computer. they can just tune with open source. yes the AP will continue to monitor stuff but why do you need to?? the cars tuned. people like it just to say ooo look at me i can read what my cars doing. ive been over 300hp for a year and never needed to look because my tune is set in stone. some features like A/F are useless anyways because it piggy backs off the stock O2 which is pointless. you need a wideband O2 if you really want to see A/F readings.

so again like everyone else said, download romraider, spend $170 on the Tactix cable and do even more then the AP can for a 1/4 the price

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #14 of 44 Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I did notice that in the description of the Cobb DP, which one would you recommend? What I did like about the Cobb one is that it has a easily accesible bung for the O2. I'll begin researching which other ones are out there. With a catted 3" downpipe, the other parts mentioned and a tune to replace the Cobb AP, can anyone give me a general idea what hp and tq numbers I could be looking at? I know it depends on the tune but I would like a general idea. Looks like I'll be going with the catback first and then I'll just save money for the rest. Thanks again guys.
post #15 of 44 Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyturbo13 View Post
I did notice that in the description of the Cobb DP, which one would you recommend? What I did like about the Cobb one is that it has a easily accesible bung for the O2. I'll begin researching which other ones are out there. With a catted 3" downpipe, the other parts mentioned and a tune to replace the Cobb AP, can anyone give me a general idea what hp and tq numbers I could be looking at? I know it depends on the tune but I would like a general idea. Looks like I'll be going with the catback first and then I'll just save money for the rest. Thanks again guys.
For $200ish less the Perrin is full 3", and my catless Invidia is $350 less, full 3". Both are nice welds and perfect fits. Yes everyone loves the O2 bung but they cost $10 to have done. Not $200 or $350. U need to relook at your list.

If you plan on doing that stuff you need to get ready before a custom tune. You can't buy one thing here and there and add it on. These cars don't work that way. Of course everyone wants to save money so you need to add and buy parts based on tunes. Since tunes are $300-400 a piece you need to go there with a good number of parts, not just a TBE or just an intake. You should buy your TBE like you wanted and add it on. Then buy as much as you can and then go for your first tune.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/