Subaru WRX Forum banner

Clanking coming from exhaust

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  14WRX 
#1 · (Edited)
Video on post number 3

2011 WRX 60K~

Buddy of mine (which is on here as well) has a noise coming from his exhaust and I can't pinpoint it. Car is catless... smfh

We went underneath at the rear and found a couple loose snaps/pushpins and fixed those. No change.

He switched out the turbo for a PnPnC one and we decided to wait until it was changed to rule out a bad turbo. No change.

It only happens on cold starts and it ALMOST sounds like a heat shield rattle OR a vibration.... It's bothering him so I figured I would post something about it.

I'll have him upload a vid to youtube or here later today. @Vella22;

As always, thanks.

#2 ·
I bet it's the same exact noise I get! I drives me nuts. Again, only happens on cold starts and ONLY comes from the passenger side. It's def coming from the muffler area. I've tried lubricating the hangers, but other than that I can't think of anything it be coming from. I'm honestly thinking it's the muffler itself. If I apply pressure with my foot to the muffler it stops. So it makes me think it's 2 pieces of interior muffler housing touching or something. It def sounds just like a heat shield touching the exhaust like you said though.

Best of luck, and if you do find a resolution post it up!! Lol...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#6 ·
Since you mention Nameless... I had a similar noise, just on cold starts on my '12 hatch after putting on a Nameless TBE.

Traced it down to the heat shield that's just above the midpipe v-clamp, it was sagging just enough that when the exhaust bounced around during a cold start it would hit.

The v-clamp sits pretty close the the heat shield, but I was able to bend that heat shield enough that it now clears just fine, was thinking I'd have to reattach the heat shield a bit better/tighter, but ended up not having too.

Since then no issues, about 3500 miles, and I've been really happy with the Nameless set up, made really well and great sound.

Good luck, hope it's something simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.