Catback and a ????? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Stay away from both Perrins bars and endlinks, or I was advised to. If you look at Perrins sway bars, the ends where the holes to bolt the links to, they are welded on, not a good idea if you ask me. Especially if during spirited driving. And the endlinks are known and prone to wearing out quickly also, they are metal on metal design. Just what I was told and actually shown on a set that was in my tuners shop.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-08-2009, 02:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Smokin'Joe is more helpful than not
Got Boost, the install was easy minus I cheated on the underside and cause some extra work since I don't have ramps or a lift. I didn't want to follow instructions that led me to have to lift everything up high enough to get a jack under there and support the tranny once you loosen it to lower it and all that jazz. Although I'm not sure about front AND rear bushings:eek: I just did the bushings on the underside of the car that the stick shift push bar connects to the frame (best I can explain it, sorry I'm not really tech with this jazz yet). If there is another set I didn't find them, unless you mean the ones inside the shift panel from the inside of the car (remember I kept the stock stick though so you may be in for more of an ordeal than me). I just drove onto a nice ramp from the driveway onto a high curb with both front and back wheels on one side for plenty of clearance to move my shoulders and used a crescent wrench (the only thing narrow enough to fit in the space without moving anything else) to remove the bolt. Then just moved it off and then the only pain in the arse came into play. I wasn't told that the OEM bushing under there is one solid piece so I was trying to pry two halves out like what I was going to install. Well, it's a really well fitted solid piece of rubber in there, so once that was out it was all gravy and shifts like a rock, really nice and clean I mean. Just make sure you're in first gear when you are going to put it back on (lesson learned from having to slide in and out of the car one too many times today, hahaha) since that lines it up pretty nice with what I had to work with. You can actually shift it from under neath, but I don't have little tiny arms and received some nicks and whatnot from jackin around too much. Took about 20 mins for the whole thing inside and out. I hope you have some good luck making your install quick and easy man, I wish I could help more, but you are going with a different setup (the Perrin Short Shifter adapter just slides over the stock stick and hooks up with that one cross bolt: Perrin Performance - Short Shifter 5-spd w/ Bushings )

RatFink, I know that Perrin has 2 different rear sway bars; a 19mm and a 22mm. In light of what Josh (Newtothegame) has stated about the design flaws, I will definitely be going with whiteline sways then.
#18 Old 09-08-2009, 01:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
perrin doesn't make a rear as far as I know.
My fault, I thought you meant sway bar, now I get it that you were saying rear bushing... Oops! :eek: I don't believe they do, and if they do I couldn't find it on their website.
#19 Old 09-08-2009, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

FACTION95 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
If you think the shifter made a difference, wait till you do the bushings. Thats where its at. I want to hear your feedback once you have them installed and test them out.
I just ordered the Kartboy shifter bushings this afternoon. I can't wait to get them installed.
#20 Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Got Boost is an unknown
SMOKEN JOE: Thanks for the reply bro. I have been working on my drag SVT LIGHTNING for the past few days, trying to get ready for the track on the 17th. I will give it a shot this weekend. Heres a pic of my engine bay in my truck and yes i know its a truck but fast./ LOL
Attached Images

2009 Blue Impreza WRX
#21 Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Holy smokes those are some big pipes! Intake I guess? Nice pulleys too man, looks really crisp and minimal drag issues. I really can't tell what else you have done to it since I don't know what stock looks like, but it definitely looks clean man! What does that thing run? I have never raced (well, other than smoking cocky cars off lights and on the highway, and occasionally running into some debagged car that just sounds like I'm gonna lose and I do, haha), but I really like the rally cross side of it and if you haven't checked out Ken Block's Gymkhana II yet you should, it's freaking ridiculous man! Good luck with the install of the bushings, it is definitely a big difference. Once that massive ball of rubber (the original bushing) is out then it's all gravy. Good luck in the race too! Keep the sticky side down as they say =D
#22 Old 09-09-2009, 01:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Oh, and Josh, I got a reply from one of the guys at Perrin about their issues with sway bars and end links. Here's what he said:

"The welded ends are EXTREMELY strong and stronger, more accurate and more expensive than the Whiteline way of overheating the bar (potentially changing the working strength) and then smashing it with a hammer to flatten it. The PERRIN bars (all years and makes) have a proven track record of performance and quality.

Endlinks. We did have a small batch of 08+ rears that had a failure created by the company that made the rod ends. That problem has been resolved 100%. The bearing style endlinks provide a completely linear bar response, crisper suspension reactions to body roll and will last even in the harshest conditions. Backed by the PERRIN warranty."

So I just want to say that one of the major companies I back will at least back the parts up if it's a boner like the batch they got from whoever messed up the endlinks. I don't know about all the 'better than whiteline' shizz, but it doesn't sound bad. My wallet usually tells me where to go and for what extent I'm willing to push my ride. I bet you feel that one man, haha.

Last edited by Smokin'Joe; 09-09-2009 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Ok, I'm done double posting :P
#23 Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Smkin' Joe, thats great to hear about them. I was informed about the earlier years (02-07). If you get yours before I order up a set, let me know how they work out for you.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#24 Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Got Boost is an unknown
SMOKEN JOE: Its a stock block with all the bolt on I could put on her. She should go 11s and thats a 4600lbs truck. I beleive i seen the video of Kens car at the abandon airport on youtube and it sick.

2009 Blue Impreza WRX
#25 Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Boost View Post
I beleive i seen the video of Kens car at the abandon airport on youtube and it sick.
Super sick. I can only hope to be there one day.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#26 Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
anybody liking the RalliTek stuff? i got on there website and i like the youtube vids and the package deals they have to make things simple for you!

only prob is i go big!! if u tell me u have a "street" package and a "track" package, i always get the track! even if i never race at the track i still want that performance on the street!

$450 seams good for the track sway bars and there front and rear end links. only prob is thats not going as big as u can since AVO and perrin make solid rear end links instead of RalliTeks OEM style, and perrin makes solid fronts instead of Rallitek OEM style. anyone know the difference pro and cons of solid vs OEM style? or RalliTek vs AVO vs perrin?

Last edited by synolimit; 09-10-2009 at 03:08 PM.
#27 Old 09-22-2009, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
By OEM, do you mean hollow? I thought the OEM sways were solid, but other than that it's the diameter. Obviously a hollow sway will not have the torsion force of a solid one. Don't fall for marketing crap that talks about "lighter because it's hollow". Really? An extra half pound of weight loss for something that's half as rigid (of course it depends on how hollow, what overall OD and ID, but you get the point)
#28 Old 09-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Solid links will be much louder. I know the guys at my old shop in WA say to either use Rallitek or Kartboy endlinks. They also recomend either Hotchkis, Cobb or Whiteline sways.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#29 Old 09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

FACTION95 is an unknown
I installed the Kartboy bushings about 2 weeks ago. The install wasn't that difficult. You do have to unbolt a heatshield to get to the bushings. I also noticed that there is more transmission noise now with the poly bushings in place. I installed the Kartboy short shifter over the weekend. Its a great mod as well. The shifts are way shorter now.
#30 Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Got Boost is an unknown
The mods are great, much better than stock. I'm going to go with a STI trans in time due to I'm going to be upgrading for more HP.

2009 Blue Impreza WRX