Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   CAI or SRI, 2009 WRX, Moving to Cold Weather Soon (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/cai-sri-2009-wrx-moving-cold-weather-soon-30725/)

Zwalk 05-11-2011 03:53 PM

CAI or SRI, 2009 WRX, Moving to Cold Weather Soon

I'm moving to Northern Arizona for school soon, but I live in southern cali where it gets hot as shit.

I hear CAI's are supposed to be shit on WRX's UNLESS they are tuned for them.

I have an accessport and plan on tuning for an AEM CAI if I purchase one...

BUT I could also tune for a COBB SRI

Im conflicted though, a short ram could be nice, thought about the COBB short ram since they work better in WRX's and I will be in cold weather quite a bit where I'm moving for school...

I'm just not sure if I want a short ram in my car when i come back to Cali for summer and its over 100 degrees...

Thoughts? I know this is a timeless question, thats why I am trying to state my circumstances.

Im also under warranty for another 60k miles

man show 05-11-2011 08:18 PM

It sounds like your best bet would be a K&N replacement panel filter. I'm not up to date on 08+ intake issues - some of them might be just fine. Try to do some more reading and filter the information as best you can. Personal testimonials aren't reliable - there are still people out there that swear you can safely run an atmospheric BOV or MBC on a mostly stock car :pity:

synolimit 05-11-2011 10:33 PM

you dont want a short ram. there to hot and mess with tuning.

a CAI is good anywhere! i live in ohio and your not going to beat my rain, snow, and temps and my turbo XS CAI has not failed me once and ive checked it a few times after hitting some big water puddles.

Zwalk 05-11-2011 11:32 PM

Word up, did you feel any gains from your CAI?

I was more worried about my car running lean I heard it can mess with your Air/Fuel, however I will be tuning for 91 octane TP Stage 1 + AEM CAI as soon as its installed, so I was thinking that would solve the problem and it would be all gravy from there am I right?

Zwalk 05-12-2011 06:02 PM

Can anyone fill me in on the above ^

synolimit 05-12-2011 10:12 PM

parts dont gain power, tuning does. the more parts you have the better air can flow, more fuel you can run etc. also the easier the turbo breaths and spools the easier it is to make good boost, like 10HP per pound of boost vs 12HP per pound.

no your not right. stick with this rule of thumb- any part you add needs a custom tune for your car only. not some off the shelf map someone half way across the country sent to you. so save up a bunch of parts and go tune all at once, that way you save on cash.

DDP21 05-12-2011 10:20 PM

wow northern AZ cold is cold weather, haha thats funny. so man just giving you a hard time.

Zwalk 05-13-2011 02:33 AM

[quote=DDP21;261118]wow northern AZ cold is cold weather, haha thats funny. so man just giving you a hard time.[/quote]

Its was snowing in the spring and im from socal man gimmie a break haha.

And I have an Accessport...the tune for the CAI will correctly utilize the airflow, thats the point of getting the maps from COBB tuning I thought, If it doesnt whats the point of having an accessport lol

Zwalk 05-13-2011 03:08 AM

[quote=Zwalk;261131]Its was snowing in the spring and im from socal man gimmie a break haha.

And I have an Accessport...the tune for the CAI will correctly utilize the airflow, thats the point of getting the maps from COBB tuning I thought, If it doesnt whats the point of having an accessport lol[/quote]

Plus I cant void my warranty, so I'm just getting the CAI as the last internal mod for a bit

pzr2874 05-13-2011 06:49 AM

If you're worried about your warranty, get a drop in filter replacement. Plain and simple.

man show 05-13-2011 09:28 AM

^ That's what I was trying to say.

synolimit 05-13-2011 12:37 PM

[quote=Zwalk;261131]
And I have an Accessport...the tune for the CAI will correctly utilize the airflow, thats the point of getting the maps from COBB tuning I thought, If it doesnt whats the point of having an accessport lol[/quote]

off the shelf maps suck. there not made for your car. they were made for a car at cobb and then tweeked to run your car else where. think about it. you really think a car tuned at cobb will run that great in Denver in the winter along with somone in Florida in the summer? get whatever you want and get a pro tune for your city, gas, elevation etc, your car will thank you.

PS, "And I have an Accessport..." your warrenty for motor parts is gone son. once flashed the dealer will see it and deny any work. sorry, wish someone told you about that before you bought it.

Zwalk 05-13-2011 09:12 PM

[quote=synolimit;261161]off the shelf maps suck. there not made for your car. they were made for a car at cobb and then tweeked to run your car else where. think about it. you really think a car tuned at cobb will run that great in Denver in the winter along with somone in Florida in the summer? get whatever you want and get a pro tune for your city, gas, elevation etc, your car will thank you.

PS, "And I have an Accessport..." your warrenty for motor parts is gone son. once flashed the dealer will see it and deny any work. sorry, wish someone told you about that before you bought it.[/quote]

I wasn't trying to be rude man, and I'm not your son...I obviously take the tune off before I bring it in. I did it when they changed out my block for a bearing being spun.

I'll have money for a pro tune soon enough anyway. It'd be smart to get a tune for Cali and a tune for Flagstaff like you said

No need to get heated I just had a different impression of the Accessport, I bought it with the car

synolimit 05-13-2011 11:21 PM

i was being simpathetic. you can take the tune off if you want, the dealer will still deny the work. flashing the ECU leaves a mark and they see it. the bearing issue was done on everyone without a question asked. it was a one time motor deal. they will NOT do another since its 10k+ down the drain. a few people have been through it before. they will find any chance they can and its not the dealer its SOA.

turmic 05-16-2011 10:10 PM

It changes the checksum on the ECU.