bov help please - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-16-2010, 12:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

mxrtoso is an unknown
bov help please

Good evening guys and gals, i am looking into getting a BOV for my 2008 wrx and just needed some advice. I was looking at the turbo xs 2008 WRX RFL

US$229.00
The WS08-RFL or Really F#$%!@ Loud is designed specifically for the owner of a 2008 WRX who wants a vent to atmosphere blow off valve. This is the loudest valve on the market at 115 db at 15 psi. Athough it is not only sound and aethestic mod with it's polished/anodized finish, the RFL adds function when you are running high boost pressures.

Now i read that and im unsure, my car is stock Minus a COBB AP, will it be ok to run that on my car? A few friends have it and say it makes the car sound sick inbetween shifts and u can hear it when ## driving by...simply, would it damage my car or is it ok to use?

As well i am ordering the 2008 wrx cold air intake from turbo xs, wanted to make sure that wouldnt do anything bad to the car as well, i heard mixed reviews that they cause engine lights ect...i just want my car to sound sick and i was told those are 2 good mods that wont damage my car
Thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2010, 03:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

08silverwrx is an unknown
Vented bov are bad for our cars dude, if you wanna hear the psssh noise just get the turbo xs hybrid, I have it and its a 50/50 bov and you still get the sound you want with out hurting your car, and if your gonna ask why it hurts the car is because it causes rich conditions in between shifts and ruff idling. There is a thread I believe somewhere that's explains this, its very detailed and will make you chang your mind real quick if you wanna take care of your car.
#3 Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Good advice. Unfortunately for us, atmospheric-venting bovs are more trouble than they're worth.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

mxrtoso is an unknown
ok so ill go for the turbo xs hybrid bov, i just heard it was rly quiet thats why i was hesitating on it. As for the cold air intake??
#5 Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

rety1-1 is an unknown
The bov can be tuned for I think with a pretty experienced tuner or you could move your maf sensor to after the turbo so the computer doesn't send fuel for air that isn't there.
And I think the cai's have a weird positioning for the maf sensor that messes with the computer or something..
Search a little. There's plenty of threads regarding each.

wooot!!
new car!
'87 toyota supra turbo ;P
#6 Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

mista jc is an unknown
I've got the TurboXS Recirculating bpv. WS08-RBV and I love it. Only the people that matter can hear it, you and your passengers. Without the "look at me!" ricer sound.
#7 Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

operadude is more helpful than not
Do you have a cold air intake yet? If not, find a friend with one and see if you like that sound. You will make some extra power with a CAI and hear the sound of your stock bypass valve which works just fine.
You don't need to change the stock Bypass valve. It works great as is. I strongly suggest you save your money or spend it on something else.

Fabio
2008 VF52 WRX Opensource Magnus Motorsports Stage 3 Tune
#8 Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
GFB (go fast bits) makes a good hybrid recirculating valve too. I used to run one.
#9 Old 06-16-2010, 07:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

mista jc is an unknown
Heard bad things about CAIs... And spend your money on other things is exactly what I heard about CAI.

Figure a dual CBE is next then suspension.
#10 Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

operadude is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by mista jc View Post
Heard bad things about CAIs... And spend your money on other things is exactly what I heard about CAI.
The quote above might be true for older WRX's. The 2008 and up WRX's get decent power with CAI's + tune. This has already been proven.

Fabio
2008 VF52 WRX Opensource Magnus Motorsports Stage 3 Tune
#11 Old 06-17-2010, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxrtoso is an unknown
so essentially there is no bov that will work well with our car without a tune? i already ordered the perrin CAI, but i want that outside sound as well
#12 Old 06-17-2010, 08:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

08silverwrx is an unknown
If you are getting a fmic in the future just do the blow through set up that synolimit did, that's what I'm doing soon and you can run a vented bov but you have to get it tuned. He has a step by step thread on how he did it and its very well explained on how he did it and its actually pretty simple too.
#13 Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you switch to an aftermarket BPV (similar to what the stock one is) you can hear it better. I have ran both the Perrin BPV, and now the Cobb XLE BPV. The Cobb unit can be set up as BPV, BOV, or Hybrid. I have ran the Cobb all three ways, I prefer it inthe hybrid setup.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
TurboXS valves are the crappiest of crap, maybe only ahead of GFB (utter junk) in quality. Having had 3 valves, none of them have proven capable of consistently holding boost no matter how they were adjusted (even used 3rd part springs that were stiffer than what was provided). In addition loud atmospheric valves will result in people just rolling their eyes at you when you drive by.

mxrtoso, things you need to know: You cannot tune for a BoV short of running blow-thru or speed density. I have no idea why 08silverwrx thinks you need a tune to run one when the 2 things are totally irrelevant and not connected at all. Also, return the Perrin intake. A custom tune is absolutely required to use it. It's not properly designed. You should have bought the TXS intake.