Subaru WRX Forum banner

bov help please

13K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  brfatal 
#1 ·
Good evening guys and gals, i am looking into getting a BOV for my 2008 wrx and just needed some advice. I was looking at the turbo xs 2008 WRX RFL

US$229.00
The WS08-RFL or Really F#$%!@ Loud is designed specifically for the owner of a 2008 WRX who wants a vent to atmosphere blow off valve. This is the loudest valve on the market at 115 db at 15 psi. Athough it is not only sound and aethestic mod with it's polished/anodized finish, the RFL adds function when you are running high boost pressures.

Now i read that and im unsure, my car is stock Minus a COBB AP, will it be ok to run that on my car? A few friends have it and say it makes the car sound sick inbetween shifts and u can hear it when ## driving by...simply, would it damage my car or is it ok to use?

As well i am ordering the 2008 wrx cold air intake from turbo xs, wanted to make sure that wouldnt do anything bad to the car as well, i heard mixed reviews that they cause engine lights ect...i just want my car to sound sick and i was told those are 2 good mods that wont damage my car
Thank you very much

#2 ·
Vented bov are bad for our cars dude, if you wanna hear the psssh noise just get the turbo xs hybrid, I have it and its a 50/50 bov and you still get the sound you want with out hurting your car, and if your gonna ask why it hurts the car is because it causes rich conditions in between shifts and ruff idling. There is a thread I believe somewhere that's explains this, its very detailed and will make you chang your mind real quick if you wanna take care of your car.

#5 ·
The bov can be tuned for I think with a pretty experienced tuner or you could move your maf sensor to after the turbo so the computer doesn't send fuel for air that isn't there.
And I think the cai's have a weird positioning for the maf sensor that messes with the computer or something..
Search a little. There's plenty of threads regarding each.

#7 ·
Do you have a cold air intake yet? If not, find a friend with one and see if you like that sound. You will make some extra power with a CAI and hear the sound of your stock bypass valve which works just fine.
You don't need to change the stock Bypass valve. It works great as is. I strongly suggest you save your money or spend it on something else.

#12 ·
If you are getting a fmic in the future just do the blow through set up that synolimit did, that's what I'm doing soon and you can run a vented bov but you have to get it tuned. He has a step by step thread on how he did it and its very well explained on how he did it and its actually pretty simple too.

#13 ·
If you switch to an aftermarket BPV (similar to what the stock one is) you can hear it better. I have ran both the Perrin BPV, and now the Cobb XLE BPV. The Cobb unit can be set up as BPV, BOV, or Hybrid. I have ran the Cobb all three ways, I prefer it inthe hybrid setup.

#14 ·
TurboXS valves are the crappiest of crap, maybe only ahead of GFB (utter junk) in quality. Having had 3 valves, none of them have proven capable of consistently holding boost no matter how they were adjusted (even used 3rd part springs that were stiffer than what was provided). In addition loud atmospheric valves will result in people just rolling their eyes at you when you drive by.

mxrtoso, things you need to know: You cannot tune for a BoV short of running blow-thru or speed density. I have no idea why 08silverwrx thinks you need a tune to run one when the 2 things are totally irrelevant and not connected at all. Also, return the Perrin intake. A custom tune is absolutely required to use it. It's not properly designed. You should have bought the TXS intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.