Blouch 480XT - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-28-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Subbie is more helpful than not
Garage
Question Blouch 480XT

ok I posted this on my build thread but I need an answer quick so I am posting a new thread. Should I get the 8cm or 10cm Turbine Housing?

"Dustin"
- 08' WRX Premium - SOLD
- 08' Yamaha R1 - Top Speed seen is 204 - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Slower spool vs more top end, you pick. Turbos never been made before so no one will be able to tell you anything about either

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #3 of 7 Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Its basically a 20gxt. I have been looking at that turbo but its a bit to small for my power goals. It really depends on what you want out of it. It really can't flow more air as the compressor is the same size, but the larger turbine will give you a tad more top end. On the 2.5L, personally I'd go 10cm. Hell the dom 3 I'm getting is 10cm and its 8 lb/min bigger.

-Chris
post #4 of 7 Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
Why would you purchase a turbo that hasn't been proven? The "billet" wheel....yawn. Look at the DOM3xtr....I know Vim loves his turbo but its not all what its cracked up to be.

Why not get a 20g that you know works? I'd save a few bucks and look into a BNR built turbo....rather than pay for the Blouch name. Take the money and put it into some supporting mods....for whatever reason you're swinging on HKS nuts, not sure what thats about but you can SAVE some money on products that would (will) work better. I'm not sure if you're getting a deal or "sponsored" (by the looks of the pricing you posted you are not) but take a look at GT Spec, Maddad, Tomei, Titek, Tomioka etc...they are all the same header, just rebranded. If you are spending the money you may as well get a header that has an uppipe included. Good luck with your project, happy modding.

TREBLE RACING
post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2011, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06f250sd View Post
Why not get a 20g that you know works? I'd save a few bucks and look into a BNR built turbo....rather than pay for the Blouch name.
BNR is a vf40 with 20g internals. Not exactly a 20g.

480xt on the other hand is a turbo made by a very reputable manufacturer and has a ton of R&D behind it.

Take your pick.

Do your research; browse dyno results for similar setups as you with different turbo's, and see where you want to be. In my experience, find the smallest turbo for your power goals, and get the turbo that's just a bit bigger. In our case it sucks... You can pretty much go with the 480xt @ 48 lb/min, Dom 2.5xtr @ 49 lb/min, or a Dom3xtr @ 56 lb/min. You could also look at the GT3071/76 series. They're pretty much between the dom 2.5 and 3.

You could go with something like an FP green, but a turbo that big with a journal bearing design kind of blows. Transient response sucks compared to a BB turbo.

-Chris
post #6 of 7 Old 01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
BNR is a vf40 with 20g internals. Not exactly a 20g.
480xt on the other hand is a turbo made by a very reputable manufacturer and has a ton of R&D behind it.
You are correct but the turbo is still putting out 20g power regardless. Key words "very reputable/ton of R&D behind it"....still doesn't bring results. Like I said before about the dom3xtr and the "billet" wheel, it makes more power than the original dom3 but thats due to the hotside and the spool is negligible. Guess we will have to see how the stock location GTX turbos work with their billet wheels to see if its all "smoke and mirrors".

First I'd say figure out what kind of intercooler you are getting, I'd go Process West or fmic so you don't have to have an LGT style flange, then your options are endless. ATP 3071/3076 are great stock location turbos, they spool quick and make power. The dom3xtr makes more power than the others due to the hotside but spools a few hundred rpm slower.

TREBLE RACING
post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06f250sd View Post
First I'd say figure out what kind of intercooler you are getting, I'd go Process West or fmic so you don't have to have an LGT style flange, then your options are endless. ATP 3071/3076 are great stock location turbos, they spool quick and make power. The dom3xtr makes more power than the others due to the hotside but spools a few hundred rpm slower.
Couldn't agree more. I bought the perrin and then the PW came out about a month later. Now I'm just going fmic

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement