Best complete bolt-on turbo kit for 08 wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrxmadmax is an unknown
Best complete bolt-on turbo kit for 08 wrx

Has anyone tried one of the complete bolt-on turbo kits from Perrin or Rallitek (or other?)? I have a bone stock 08 WRX and am thinking of going straight for the gusto. Is this a good way to go, or can you do it cheaper by combining your own components? Appreciate any help. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxmadmax View Post
Has anyone tried one of the complete bolt-on turbo kits from Perrin or Rallitek (or other?)? I have a bone stock 08 WRX and am thinking of going straight for the gusto. Is this a good way to go, or can you do it cheaper by combining your own components? Appreciate any help. thanks
looks like Perrin only has the 30r and 35r. am i wrong? without a motor and tranny build i wouldnt touch thoughs kits. you could put them on no problem but you cant run any boost, 15psi maybe!! thoughs are 400-550 HP kits. if you dont run enough boost your car is going to be a dog and laggy as all hell. ive seen full boost above 4k which is no fun! plus you'll need a FMIC so more money is needed.

the rallitek stuff doesnt seem bad. some people will say they dont like the AVO turbos but everyone has there opinion. the price is the only thing. seems a little high. you might be able to save a few dollars doing a kit yourself. for example i know a walbro 255 pump is $70 and the AVO is $300. would be kinda cool to just throw it all on though i guess. the 7-8 maps they give you seems like a pretty good deal!

you really just need to ask yourself what are your goals for the car. my goal is to max out my stock VF52 turbo. currently im seeing 313hp and 357tq. i have injectors, header and external waste gate to go. on my dyno with E85 im going to be in the 330-350hp range and 410-430tq range. the AVO 380 is a $1900 turbo. you could save $1000 right off the bat and find a used Vf52.

let us know more!

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #3 of 8 Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrxmadmax is an unknown
Wow, thanks a lot. That is a very informative reply.

I guess my goals would be very similar to yours with ~325-350 whp and ~375-400 wtq. I want it to be very drivable and reliable for my daily driver.

I have also thought about just buying a V52 and bolting it on, which would be much cheaper than the kits.

Two quick questions: 1) Why don't some people like the AVO turbos? and 2) What is the deal with E85 gas? I read a lot about it on this forum, but don't know much about it. I know it's an ethonal blend, but thought it was just something some states made you do for enviro reasons.

Thanks for the help.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrxmadmax is an unknown
PS. being from Akron, OH, you are pretty close to me. Where do you go to get your car pro-tuned?
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2010, 12:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Wow, thanks a lot. That is a very informative reply.

I guess my goals would be very similar to yours with ~325-350 whp and ~375-400 wtq. I want it to be very drivable and reliable for my daily driver.

I have also thought about just buying a V52 and bolting it on, which would be much cheaper than the kits.

Two quick questions: 1) Why don't some people like the AVO turbos? and 2) What is the deal with E85 gas? I read a lot about it on this forum, but don't know much about it. I know it's an ethonal blend, but thought it was just something some states made you do for enviro reasons.

Thanks for the help.
well your goals are high depending on which dyno you use. your not going to hit thoughs numbers without E85. it burns 30% faster and its hard to find, specially around here for me. and im only going to be running it when i go to the track. with that said if you want to run thoughs numbers all the time, you might want to get the AVO 380 turbo. The Bloush 2.5 XTR would be an awesome choice too but you'll need to run a FMIC. you'll need an intercooler anyways just depends if you want to spend $200-$300 more for a front mount. however the Bloush is cheaper so you'd almost break even!

the VF52 will bolt right on! you dont need anything but a tune so thats a plus!

i have no idea why people may not like the AVO turbo. could be price, could be a bad history. im not saying people do or dont, you'll just have to look around and figure it out. i do know people love Bloush for there history and customer support!

E85 is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. its 105-106 octane. the higher the octane a fuel is the less chance there is for detination or knock. since theres less chance your tuner can add more boost and more timing! E85 also burns colder. which we all know colder temps make more power. the stuff really is amazing and all from corn. its also about .50-.60 cents cheaper a gallon, however it doesnt help since it burns 30% fastest. you basically break even money wise. and no, no states make you run it. its accually showing to produce more Ozone

post #6 of 8 Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
PS. being from Akron, OH, you are pretty close to me. Where do you go to get your car pro-tuned?
ya kinda. about hour 1/2 i think. if i was you then when your ready look up Applied Tuning Solutions in Columbus. it may be kind of a haul but its worth it. tell them i sent you.

also if you want my advice on parts let me know. ive been putting together a list kind of like a stage kits. depending on your money and what you want to spend at a time, i have a pretty good idea how to spend it for the best increase in power. once you add stuff on you need to tune. makes no sense to tune after every single part. better to go in stages.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-30-2010, 11:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

06f250sd is an unknown
Here is what I would do for your power goals, you could max out the vf-52 and be within range, plus the vf-52 may be enough for your needs.

Find a used vf-52 with lower miles and a downpipe and flash to a 09 stage 2 map. It should put you around 300whp, you could even run an OTS map from someone like Torqued Performance for now, either open-source or with an Accessport. He has a few maps that support different cold air intakes so you could go that route too. If the 300whp isn't enough for you, its time to start modifying.

Then comes everything else:
cold air intake
bigger intercooler, top mount or front mount
BOV
injectors
fuel pump
header, I like the equal length but it gets rid of the subie "stumble" that people love
uppipe (even though ours is already catless)
electronic boost control

Those mods, pending fuel, dyno/correction and elevation should put you around 315+whp/330+wtq

Then if that isn't enough, I'd upgrade the turbo again to another stock location setup. You should be able to sell the vf-52 for around what you bought it for.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Two comments.

You don't HAVE to do injectors or pump. I'm 99% positive that the 08 has the same injectors as the 09 (565cc) and I'm seeing 87% idc's and I'm pretty well maxed out.

E85 isn't 105 octane. The more accurate way of testing it comes out at 95 octane. Still a decent bump over premium pump, but it's definitely not the poor man's race fuel like a lot claim it to be. Also, if you were to say build a higher compression engine, your mileage loss would be less than the typical 28% or so drop in economy. I doubt anybody has tested it, but I bet if you were to build your engine to 9.2:1 you'd see a bit less of a drop in fuel mileage compared to the stock ratio. Then you are more prone to det, but that's what E85 is for, it's a high compression fuel. Just an FYI

-Chris