Beginning my 09 wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 08-31-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mjt09wrx is an unknown
Talking Beginning my 09 wrx

Hello there everyone! Lets start with some background. This is my first subaru which I bought brand new with 25 miles on it. I have now racked up almost 8,000 miles so it is definetly time to start the mods. I traded in my 2006 acura rsx-s which was my first car which I had modded so modding is not new for me. But in turn it was completely useless in the snow. The awd was a great welcome and the new car has welcomed me to the world of torque! Basically I have some questions in regard to the basic bolt ons.

To rephrase my car is a black 2009 wrx hatchback premium. All thats been done is the window tint all the way around. I have done some research on the catback and have decided on the Greddy SE catback exhaust based on ralleysportdirect.com video. Now as of there I am at a loss.

So let me tell you what my overall list is which is in no particular order. I plan on:
Down Pipe
Up pipe (maybe)
Front mount intercooler
Headers
AccessPort
Fuel pump
Injectors
Short throw shifter
Cold air intake
Motor mounts
Coilovers
and whatever else needs to be adressed in the suspension and tranny.
Also what are my options with tail light tint... I do not want to do any spray on or VHT as that is non-reversible and doesnt always look that great. I am looking for it to be mildly darker because my car is black and the white tails stand out a little too much for my likeing. But I also want somthing durable.

I have an idea of the numbers this can produce but I am not going to go crazy since this is my DD.

If you have suggestions on what matches best with what I will gladly take it into consideration. I am not afraid to spend the money for good quality to have everything done correctly. Lastly, about the FMIC. I am definitly goint to go into that direction for functionality but subtlety is the name of the game. So if anyone knows who can make them black or sells them that way I would very much appreciate it.

Other than that thank you very much for all your help in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Skip the injectors and pump IMO... I'm hitting 90% idc's on my setup and I'm pretty much maxing out the turbo on 91 octane. Also, unless you plan on going bigger turbo down the line, the FMIC isn't necessary. Look at a larger TMIC from Perrin or Process West (PW being ideal).

Headers, sure. If you want, check out getting the stock collectors port and polished and swapping the crosspipe for a high flow. Most of the gains of aftermarket headers are there, but you keep the boxer rumble (if you care), as well as the long-term durability of the cast iron manifolds. Grimmspeed does all this work, and offers a high flow crosspipe as well.

I wouldn't really bother with an up pipe unless one comes with your headers, or you want to go external wastegate.

Put a 3-port ebcs on the list, it'll give you better boost response and control.

SWAY BARS and ENDLINKS. Do it, you won't regret it. Also, do some stiffer bushings if you want, rear subframe, rear diff in particular.

Group-N transmission mount, do it while you're doing the shifter and/or engine mounts. I also did my crossmember bushings at the same time since you need to remove the crossmember during the install.

Think about open source tuning. The AP is nice, but you can get professionally tuned for far less than the cost of the AP (read: half the cost), but you'll lose the bells and whistles of the AP. If you buy a tactrix cable, you get a lot of the features that the AP has, they're just all on your laptop (if yo have one).

To top it off, at least get a boost gauge. You can add more if you like, but boost is a must. Also consider EGT, Oil Temp, and a Wideband O2 sensor.

If budget allows, some nice lightweight wheels and stickier tires also help

I think that's it.

-Chris
post #3 of 49 Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mjt09wrx is an unknown
[QUOTE=RcrsWetDream;249697]

I wouldn't really bother with an up pipe unless one comes with your headers, or you want to go external wastegate.

SWAY BARS and ENDLINKS. Do it, you won't regret it. Also, do some stiffer bushings if you want, rear subframe, rear diff in particular.

To top it off, at least get a boost gauge. You can add more if you like, but boost is a must. Also consider EGT, Oil Temp, and a Wideband O2 sensor.

[QUOTE]

Were you adding the sway bars and endlinks or in addition to the coilovers? If that is enough without the coilovers that will free up some money. Also doesnt the spool up of the turbo become faster with the up pipe or is it not that restrictive?

And i would love to get a set of gauges but they have yet to design anything worth it. I was hoping someone would fab something up for where the clock and temp sit and sit 3 gauges there. Lastly what short shifters are they using ### I feel like one that came with steel bushings would be nice.

Thanks for the input!
post #4 of 49 Old 08-31-2010, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
better think twice about your wrx being better in the snow. in fact your wrx will be the most dangerous car on the road in the winter!! no joke!

because of your high performance summer tires, hope you save up about $600 for performance winter tires before the snow hits, it will be extremely dangerous without them, i know. Blizzaks ws-60’s are damn near the best and great price compared to Michelins and Dunlop’s.

start up a "buy in order list". i bought as many parts as i wanted (afford) and then i needed tuned. tuning around here is $350 a pop so throw out the AP as you will be spending $600 only to turn right around and spend another $300-$500 on each tune.

my personal list was
UP
DP
CBE
CAI
fuel pump
3-port EBCS
light weight pulley
tune
293HP 308TQ

then
FMIC
BOV
blow-through set up
tune
313HP 357TQ

as you can see spending only $700 on tuning and not getting a AP was more money in my pocket, along with getting as many goodies as possible to save on future tunes.

end list will be EWG, headers, injectors, tune with E85 and all done for this motor and turbo.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #5 of 49 Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

chrischilders22 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
better think twice about your wrx being better in the snow. in fact your wrx will be the most dangerous car on the road in the winter!! no joke!

because of your high performance summer tires, hope you save up about $600 for performance winter tires before the snow hits, it will be extremely dangerous without them, i know. Blizzaks ws-60’s are damn near the best and great price compared to Michelins and Dunlop’s.

start up a "buy in order list". i bought as many parts as i wanted (afford) and then i needed tuned. tuning around here is $350 a pop so throw out the AP as you will be spending $600 only to turn right around and spend another $300-$500 on each tune.

my personal list was
UP
DP
CBE
CAI
fuel pump
3-port EBCS
light weight pulley
tune
293HP 308TQ

then
FMIC
BOV
blow-through set up
tune
313HP 357TQ

as you can see spending only $700 on tuning and not getting a AP was more money in my pocket, along with getting as many goodies as possible to save on future tunes.

end list will be EWG, headers, injectors, tune with E85 and all done for this motor and turbo.
dude whats blow through mean. i think i read your post about doing it and still didnt understand it

also my moddings on my 09 are:

turbo xs front mount intercooler
turbo xs down pipe
perrin rec. bov
255 fuel pump
turbo xs cold air intake
3 port bcs
SPT cat back

im at 305whp. i went with most of these parts to get them out of the way.next im switching out the injectors and switching to e85

turbo xs DP,turbo xs cai, turbo xs FMIC,3port BCS,walbro255 fp, spt catback, perrin BOV, 300ish whp
post #6 of 49 Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mjt09wrx is an unknown
Quote:

my personal list was
UP
DP
CBE
CAI
fuel pump
3-port EBCS
light weight pulley
tune
293HP 308TQ

then
FMIC
BOV
blow-through set up
tune
313HP 357TQ

I plan on using the stock rims and wrapping them in "tractor tires" and getting some nice rims and rubber for the summer. With the adjustable coilovers I would just lower it in the summer but when winter rolled around bring it back up to stock height and throw the stock rims back on with the winter tires. And I am familiar with the winters lol I was at akron university during this past winter and was blazin it up
post #7 of 49 Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mjt09wrx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischilders22 View Post
dude whats blow through mean. i think i read your post about doing it and still didnt understand it

also my moddings on my 09 are:

turbo xs front mount intercooler
turbo xs down pipe
perrin rec. bov
255 fuel pump
turbo xs cold air intake
3 port bcs
SPT cat back

im at 305whp. i went with most of these parts to get them out of the way.next im switching out the injectors and switching to e85

The front mount intercooler is ###### the way I am going to go but I am not a fan of the silver in front. I am going for subtleness so does anyone do them in black or any company that can make them black??
post #8 of 49 Old 09-01-2010, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

chrischilders22 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt09wrx View Post
The front mount intercooler is ###### the way I am going to go but I am not a fan of the silver in front. I am going for subtleness so does anyone do them in black or any company that can make them black??
perrin makes a stealth one, all black, gonna run you like $1600 for the kit

turbo xs DP,turbo xs cai, turbo xs FMIC,3port BCS,walbro255 fp, spt catback, perrin BOV, 300ish whp
post #9 of 49 Old 09-01-2010, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischilders22 View Post
Blow through allows for better tuning and running a car. Are stock MAF sensors are in the intake. That's about 4-5 feet away from the throttle body. A fmic is about 9-10 feet. That's to much pipe for a sensor to take a reading and hope at the end nothings changed. Like leaks. With the maf right in front of the TB it can fine tune the perfect mixture right before it enters the motor. That's blow through.

Only down side is if you get a leak some where with all the pipe, couplers and clamps you may not know it besides loss of power or boost if you have a gauge. But your car will run perfect!! If you ever had a leak you'll know how rough and bad the car will run with the MAF in the stock location.

You can also run a vent to atmos BOV and again car will run perfect because the BOV air gets released before the MAF not after like stock. It's better all around and I'm pretty sure 99% of cars all put the MAF very close to the TB. Subi doesn't cause there dumb TMIC design! FMIC FTW!! (lol only if you have a good size turbo, if you don't get a smaller FMIC.)

Last edited by synolimit; 09-01-2010 at 10:06 PM.
post #10 of 49 Old 09-01-2010, 10:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You could also get a less expensive FMIC like TurboXS and get it powdercoated. Most guys around here will charge $250 for a set of wheels so it can't be that much, probably $125 or so for the FMIC and pipes.

-Chris
post #11 of 49 Old 09-01-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mjt09wrx is an unknown
Quote:
Blow through allows for betting tuning and running a car. Are stock MAF sensors are in the intake. That's about 4-5 feet away from the throttle body. A fmic is about 9-10 feet. That's to much pipe for a sensor to take a reading and hope at the end nothings changed. Like leaks. With the maf right in front of the TB it can fine tune the perfect mixture right before it enters the motor. That's blow through.

Good looks my man I was wondering where to go with the MAF to make the BOV possible. With it done that way are you still able to run a hybrid or is to be strictly atmospheric?? some of the atmosphere BOV are a little to rediculous for me but I dont mind a little sound for everyone to wonder

Also @ RcrsWetDream: from what I heard powder coating the intercooler isnt the smartest idea. I read a few things saying that it makes more insulated and therefore makes it less useful. I thought I read somewhere that someone had come up with a good compound for making them black or whatever but I cant remeber who or what. But the idea might be a money saver in the end. That is as long as there are no corners cut.
As far as the perrin stealth one it seems that some bumper work would have to be done unless that fits within the wrx's front gap.
Also any specific header that is duing wonders for people with out loosing the sound???

Thanks a lot guys!
post #12 of 49 Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you want to keep the sound you will have to stay with an unequal setup. There is more power ot be made using an equal length setup (at the cost of losing the subaru rumble). I dont know if Grimmspeed has anything for the 08+ yet, but you could always check them out (grimmspeed.com).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #13 of 49 Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Also @ RcrsWetDream: from what I heard powder coating the intercooler isnt the smartest idea. I read a few things saying that it makes more insulated and therefore makes it less useful. Thanks a lot guys!
You can get it coated with a thermal dispersant.

The Perrin Stealth/Black TMIC/FMIC's are just powdercoated for comparison.

Honestly, check out the GrimmSpeed PnP exhaust manifolds and crosspipe. I'm hitting 19psi at 3200 rpm's.

-Chris
post #14 of 49 Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 PM
AMG
WRXtuners Member

AMG is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
You can get it coated with a thermal dispersant.

The Perrin Stealth/Black TMIC/FMIC's are just powdercoated for comparison.

Honestly, check out the GrimmSpeed PnP exhaust manifolds and crosspipe. I'm hitting 19psi at 3200 rpm's.
Why can't you just rattle can it flat black?
post #15 of 49 Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Good looks my man I was wondering where to go with the MAF to make the BOV possible. With it done that way are you still able to run a hybrid or is to be strictly atmospheric?? some of the atmosphere BOV are a little to rediculous for me but I dont mind a little sound for everyone to wonder :cool
you can run whatever your little heart desires. only problem is a BOV has or should be in the cold boost tube. i have seen some people run it on the hot side. either way you will have to rig up pipe or long 1 1/2 kevlar pipe to route it back to the intake or inlet tube. mine is by my left head light so to get back to the inlet is like 3-4 feet and a nightmear. however if i moved it to the hot tube comming right off the turbo id only be a foot away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement