Subaru WRX Forum banner

B.o.v

8K views 55 replies 13 participants last post by  BLAZE2099 
#1 ·
Whats going on everyone,

I know Ive probably asked this question a couple of times, but with a B.O.V do I need a tune?:beatentod

#9 ·
Look up silencer delete " baffle mod", adding a intake will let you hear it more as well but unless you tune for it your better off just slapping on a B.O.V.. Or like I said in another thread get the fake under hood speaker bov that will get you the sound you are after..

#11 ·
i ran a BOV for a week many years ago and attached a duck call to the venting end.....

vvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm quuuuuack quack quack vrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

then i sold it. i would suggest investing in a mod that helps the car one way or another.

#17 ·
ya i know what you mean but ever since i got the car cops run my plates idk if its just a subbie thing were they always look tuned. I mean i haven't got a ticket yet and what are they going to do stop me because my car sounds fast?

someone one said something about a intake you dont need tuned? if that true who makes it ?

#19 ·
If I were you I'd spend my money somewhere else. Like was mentioned earlier in the thread. If you want to spend $300 something on an intake and a such for little to no gains then go ahead, but why not save a bit more and get an AP? From what I've heard Stage 1 is tons of fun. Just my thoughts.

As for loud cars and unwanted cop attention? Having had two very loud vehicles, a 00 Celica GT-S & 05 F350 that were both straight piped, I would much rather be under the radar from now on, maybe I'm just getting old ha

#21 ·
If you get a cat back exhaust you dont need a tune. And there is nothing short of switching to a blow-thru-setup to solve the issues a vent to atmosphere type of BOV cause. So do you want a performance car that performs well (without "cool" sounds), or one that performs like a turd (but sounds "cool")?

#32 ·
+1.

I originally came to Subarus from the world of Hondas and it was difficult for me to drop the urge to buy one little part at a time and not have to do anything else. I get it. These cars are totally different though. Most parts end up being a waste if they don't coordinate with one another and without the ECU programmed for those parts, they're a complete waste of money. Tons of people have BOV's on their WRX even though they give no performance gain and lots of them backfire (afterfire? Whatever). You decide if you want to do one or not. Is it worth $2-300 for a sound when if you saved that, you're half-way to an AccessPort that will allow you to tune for future mods as you go? Your choice. I would save just a bit more, and get something that allows you to add your performance parts as you go. That's just my advice. But if you want to have the sound and don't really care about spending money to make your car more performance oriented, do it. You're just going to have a tough time getting anyone who cares about performance (most people on here) to support you in the decision.

#33 ·
Ouch! But I 100% agree. Please do note that in 99% of the cars running a BOV, the car now runs like crap. And that is one part that can't be tuned for.
Once power is increased up to/around stage three. Than that's when one should start looking at aftermarket Bpv/bov's.
After you do plenty of research and see enough testimonials, you will fully understand where we are coming from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.