AUDM 08 WRX 350hp/250kw atw mods list concerns - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mac2012 is an unknown
AUDM 08 WRX 350hp/250kw atw mods list concerns

Hi all
firstly I am in australia, everything is expensive and common fuel for performance cars is BP ultimate 98 octane.

I have a 08 wrx and looking to get around 350hp atw/250-270kw atw.
Current engine mods are;
-turboxs stealthback
-process west tmic
-grimmspeed 3 port
-turbo xs up pipe
-grimspeed crosspipe
-aem cold air intake
-silicone turbo inlet
-turbosmart full recirc bov
-tuned with 177kw atw.

Future mods i want are;
-blouch dom 1.5xtr
-tomioka unequal length headers
-deatschwerks 850cc injector
-deatschwerks dw300 fuel pump
-custom mid pipe, going into oem axle back
-spark plugs
-mishimoto radiator

problem is the tuner wont tune the car unless i also get forged pistons. apparently a few 08 wrx bottoms ends he tuned with blouch turbo died because of the differnt pistons the 08's have. and this tuner, almost everyone recommends.

so he recommends i get forged pistons,stud,gaskets(thats all to make it more reliable). and this is gonna cost the same price as a short block plus all labour in and out in australia.
Is it really necessary to have those parts for the car to be reliable? is there more i need?

anyone suggest what i need/dont need altogether?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Mishimoto radiator is garbage and that header is not much better.

That being said, I've never heard of a tuner who would not tune a car for given mods simply because of the lack of forged pistons. While that does push it past the motor's safe point, not having forged pistons does not guarantee the engine will die anytime soon either.

Built engines are frequently less reliable than stock motors, but if you want to make significantly more power than the car was designed for your options are limited. I would be afraid for your transmission as well.

You're gonna need motor mounts, a clutch, and potentially a different intake as well. Make sure your suspension and brakes are up to par as well. You didn't list those parts.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage

That being said, I've never heard of a tuner who would not tune a car for given mods simply because of the lack of forged pistons. While that does push it past the motor's safe point, not having forged pistons does not guarantee the engine will die anytime soon either.

Built engines are frequently less reliable than stock motors, but if you want to make significantly more power than the car was designed for your options are limited. I would be afraid for your transmission as well.

You're gonna need motor mounts, a clutch, and potentially a different intake as well. Make sure your suspension and brakes are up to par\. You didn't list those parts.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mac2012 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post

You're gonna need motor mounts, a clutch, and potentially a different intake as well. Make sure your suspension and brakes are up to par as well. You didn't list those parts.
The radiator and the header are the same parts another guy I know is using on his 09 wrx with blouch 20g xtr makin 250+kw atw. and i trust it enough. and he hasnt opened the block yet.

any other tuner will tune it, but how long will the pistons last is the question. maybe that particular tuner is just playing it safe, who knows...

the car is a weekend car, and i rarely track it or drag. normally just normal driving with abit of punching it here and there.

i have most of the mounts/suspension/brakes lined up. thats straight forward, also have heavy duty clutch.i was trying to keep my post short.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
The header is 100% guaranteed to break because it's made of the wrong grade of steel. Turbo headers simply get too hot for 304. There are no UEL headers on the market that aren't known for breaking for this very reason. There are some EL headers that actually produce good results (UEL makes negligible gains) and that are of better construction, but these run twice the cost of the header you mentioned. If you are intent on replacing the stock one, I would recommend either Full-Race or KillerB.

Mishimoto's manufacturer has QC issues. My radiator is the same exact part but with a different brand name stamped on it and it's had 3 separate points of failure that had to be fixed. Here in the US, a quality radiator is only a little more than Mishimoto's knock offs. For a street car you have absolutely no need a new radiator anyways.

There is no possible way to know whether or not your pistons will last or not and if not how long they will.