ap+cai - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-16-2013, 11:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

General-Leo is more helpful than not
I have a quick question, I talkled to a tuning shop here about pricing and etc for a custom tune one my car and he told me that before he could really do anything worth my or his time I would have to get a bigger intercooler for my turbo (I have the WRX which if I am not mistaken has a smaller cooler).
Based on this does it sound like he knows what he is talking about or should I not take my car to him?
The shop that I called came recommended by a few subaru owners, and based on their site it looks like they have quite a few REALLY nice custom cars that have come out of the shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by General-Leo View Post
I have a quick question, I talkled to a tuning shop here about pricing and etc for a custom tune one my car and he told me that before he could really do anything worth my or his time I would have to get a bigger intercooler for my turbo (I have the WRX which if I am not mistaken has a smaller cooler).
Based on this does it sound like he knows what he is talking about or should I not take my car to him?
The shop that I called came recommended by a few subaru owners, and based on their site it looks like they have quite a few REALLY nice custom cars that have come out of the shop.
It wouldn't hurt to get a larger one. But he should STILL be able to do it with no problems. These tuners and their base map tuning .... Go somewhere else.
the RIOT act and arewmors like this.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#18 Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Are you planning on installing a bunch of mods before you get a tune? Is your car going to be tuned stock? Yes the IC on the wrx is smaller than the sti. I have not read anything about that being an issue before. I have a dp, cai with cobb stage 2 ots tune and have a stock IC (will be hopefully getting a protune in the future). I believe others have done other mods before upgrading the intercooler as well on the new gens. If your car is stock then I don't really see the reason for a bigger IC right now. I would call a few other places to get a few opinions.
#19 Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

General-Leo is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewmors View Post
Are you planning on installing a bunch of mods before you get a tune? Is your car going to be tuned stock? Yes the IC on the wrx is smaller than the sti. I have not read anything about that being an issue before. I have a dp, cai with cobb stage 2 ots tune and have a stock IC (will be hopefully getting a protune in the future). I believe others have done other mods before upgrading the intercooler as well on the new gens. If your car is stock then I don't really see the reason for a bigger IC right now. I would call a few other places to get a few opinions.
No I don't plan on getting alot of mods and then getting a protune, right now my downpipe should be coming in today. and then I will have to wait for cobb to ship my tuner (luckily I should be getting that overnight) and then go to install the DP. But I was looking into a shop that another subaru owner told me about and said that they do good work. Maybe he just assumed that I wanted to push the limit on the amount of boost I was running? (which is not the case) I have just heard several times now that 9 times out of 10 that a protune is a better/safer route to go all around.
I don't know if this will influence your opinion or not but here is a link to their site.
News - All Aspects Motorsports
Like I said it looks like they have done some legit work.
#20 Old 08-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
No I don't plan on getting alot of mods and then getting a protune, right now my downpipe should be coming in today. and then I will have to wait for cobb to ship my tuner (luckily I should be getting that overnight) and then go to install the DP. But I was looking into a shop that another subaru owner told me about and said that they do good work. Maybe he just assumed that I wanted to push the limit on the amount of boost I was running? (which is not the case) I have just heard several times now that 9 times out of 10 that a protune is a better/safer route to go all around.
I don't know if this will influence your opinion or not but here is a link to their site.
News - All Aspects Motorsports
Like I said it looks like they have done some legit work.
Yes legit work. It looks like a lot of cars that see the track and are probably built to push the limit getting max performance/power. Hence getting a bigger IC. Did you tell them you aren't trying to push any boundaries? That's what I'm thinking IMO. I would make sure there is a clear understanding of what you want. And see where you stand. I'm no tuning expert.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#21 Old 08-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Like Paul mentioned, there's no NEED to replace the IC, it's just one of the major weakness' the WRX has when pushing power. The reason it's weak is not so much that its smaller than the STI's IC, it's because it's plastic...which is ridiculous honestly! But it does make sense to do the IC if money permits before spending the money for a Protune IMO. But again, it's in no way a necessity in going to stage 2. If $900+ for a quality IC isn't in the cards before you get Protuned and he won't do it simply go elsewhere.

A bigger concern with going to stage 2 IMO is the also plastic BPV. That's an absolute must have if getting a Protune and pushing psi higher than what Cobb's OTS maps do. While running the OTS maps you're fine, but do yourself the favor and get a QUALITY BPV when you go get Protuned and pushing 17+ psi.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#22 Old 08-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
Like Paul mentioned, there's no NEED to replace the IC, it's just one of the major weakness' the WRX has when pushing power. The reason it's weak is not so much that its smaller than the STI's IC, it's because it's plastic...which is ridiculous honestly! But it does make sense to do the IC if money permits before spending the money for a Protune IMO. But again, it's in no way a necessity in going to stage 2. If $900+ for a quality IC isn't in the cards before you get Protuned and he won't do it simply go elsewhere.

A bigger concern with going to stage 2 IMO is the also plastic BPV. That's an absolute must have if getting a Protune and pushing psi higher than what Cobb's OTS maps do. While running the OTS maps you're fine, but do yourself the favor and get a QUALITY BPV when you go get Protuned and pushing 17+ psi.

Stage 2+ aem is at about 18.5 psi so you're still good with stock BPV?

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#23 Old 08-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Garage
No def not. I apologize I thought Cobb's OTS was 17psi on stage 2. Anything past 18psi is a no go for the stocker.

#24 Old 08-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
No def not. I apologize I thought Cobb's OTS was 17psi on stage 2. Anything past 18psi is a no go for the stocker.

Well that sucks lol. I think the low waste gate tune is 17.5 psi. Should I not be running the normal waste gate tune? I'm not planning on a protune until probably next summer. Or can you put a BPV on that is similar to stock and be okay , (probably a no, but I'd figure I'd try). Actually I did a data log the other day and hit 19.4 which is in spec I think.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#25 Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

Garage
No..no..you're fine where you're at. I just had my psi mixed up for a sec. But you can switch your BPV out at any time, and when you do I recommend the Forge v2 as it is one of the less expensive, yet better quality BPV's out there for the Rex. And that one's not a personal opinion just cause I run one lol!

#26 Old 08-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
No..no..you're fine where your at. I just had my psi mixed up for a sec. But you can switch your BPV out at any time, and when you do I recommend the Forge v2 as it is one of the less expensive, yet better quality BPV's out there for the Rex. And that ones not an opinion

Oh okay phew, you had me a little concerned there lol. So the BPV doesn't really have anything to do with a tune then. I could switch it out now and run the same ots cobb stage 2+ aem map?
You have a picture of yours on the car?
#27 Old 08-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Yup, a BPV has nothing to do with your tune...besides handling the psi being applied to it FROM your tune. They can be swapped in/out whenever.

Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1376682232.160971.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  77.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1376682255.404131.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  55.2 KB

pzr2874 and BLAZE2099 like this.

#28 Old 08-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Yup, a BPV has nothing to do with your tune...besides handling the psi being applied to it FROM your tune. They can be swapped in/out whenever.

Is that considered a recirculating BPV?

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#29 Old 08-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

Garage
You got it

#30 Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
You got it

Alright cool. So its the same as stock just just better and nicer looking. Where did you get yours from?

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ