Subaru WRX Forum banner

ap+cai

7K views 53 replies 10 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 ·
I've searched the forum and cant seem to find what i'm looking for, so ill try a post. im sure its been covered already, though, so bare with me.

Going to get the AP, definitely. When going to stage 1, is it worth getting cobbs cai also? If so, is the OTS cobb map good enough for the cai or should I get a custom tune?

TAI
pete

#3 ·
IMO I would recommend the aem cai. Cobb has an ots map for that as well. The ots map is okay for the intake at stage 1. Custom tune is always better though because it's tailored to your car not a generic one.. But there isn't anything bad about the ots map. A custom tune will be recommended by most eventually

#8 ·
Yea the cobb intake and the front scoop don't look like they go well together. Also the cobb is pretty close to stock other than you get more sound from it. Like the riot act said, not very beneficial for future upgrades.

The injen is pretty sexy looking as well! :cool:

#11 ·
Even if you got a dp and went stage 2+ aem cai ots map would be okay. And then save for a custom tune. That's where I'm at and it's like a new car runs drives and shifts way better. She can finally breath!!! :D

#13 ·
Very nice. I did the spt linkages with kartboy short shifter, kartboy rear bushing, perrin front bushing and twm performance weighted shift knob. And might I say holy moly it was night and day!

When you install the bushings I recommend removing the heat shield. It's easy, unplug the o2 sensor so you don't have to take it out. Pull the wire across, unbolt the 4 bolts holding the shield. And gently roll it out. Gives more room to work. I also had a swivel socket attachment which helped as well. Just my 2 cents

#16 ·
I have a quick question, I talkled to a tuning shop here about pricing and etc for a custom tune one my car and he told me that before he could really do anything worth my or his time I would have to get a bigger intercooler for my turbo (I have the WRX which if I am not mistaken has a smaller cooler).
Based on this does it sound like he knows what he is talking about or should I not take my car to him?
The shop that I called came recommended by a few subaru owners, and based on their site it looks like they have quite a few REALLY nice custom cars that have come out of the shop.

#21 ·
Like Paul mentioned, there's no NEED to replace the IC, it's just one of the major weakness' the WRX has when pushing power. The reason it's weak is not so much that its smaller than the STI's IC, it's because it's plastic...which is ridiculous honestly! But it does make sense to do the IC if money permits before spending the money for a Protune IMO. But again, it's in no way a necessity in going to stage 2. If $900+ for a quality IC isn't in the cards before you get Protuned and he won't do it simply go elsewhere.

A bigger concern with going to stage 2 IMO is the also plastic BPV. That's an absolute must have if getting a Protune and pushing psi higher than what Cobb's OTS maps do. While running the OTS maps you're fine, but do yourself the favor and get a QUALITY BPV when you go get Protuned and pushing 17+ psi.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#24 ·
Well that sucks lol. I think the low waste gate tune is 17.5 psi. Should I not be running the normal waste gate tune? I'm not planning on a protune until probably next summer. Or can you put a BPV on that is similar to stock and be okay , (probably a no, but I'd figure I'd try). Actually I did a data log the other day and hit 19.4 which is in spec I think.

#25 ·
No..no..you're fine where you're at. I just had my psi mixed up for a sec. But you can switch your BPV out at any time, and when you do I recommend the Forge v2 as it is one of the less expensive, yet better quality BPV's out there for the Rex. And that one's not a personal opinion just cause I run one lol! :p

#26 ·
No..no..you're fine where your at. I just had my psi mixed up for a sec. But you can switch your BPV out at any time, and when you do I recommend the Forge v2 as it is one of the less expensive, yet better quality BPV's out there for the Rex. And that ones not an opinion :p

Oh okay phew, you had me a little concerned there lol. So the BPV doesn't really have anything to do with a tune then. I could switch it out now and run the same ots cobb stage 2+ aem map?
You have a picture of yours on the car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.