afe Drop in filter good or bad?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

CoryB is an unknown
afe Drop in filter good or bad??

I have a 2011 hatch and can't decide if I should get a drop in filter or what kind to get. I was thinking a dry afe filter. What do you guys think? Some people say it will let too much dirt into the engine but I'm not sure if I believe that since it's made to not let in dirt. Also, oiled or dry? I hear the oil can mess up the MAF censor. Is a drop in even worth the money or just stick to the paper stock ones? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2011, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
I had a AVO dry drop in filter for a long time before I got my SRI and it worked great. I was putting down over 300 at the wheeles and never had a problem breathing. So I'd say its a good cheap option to open your intake up a bit. As far as oiled filters I think they are good as well, just make sure you clean your MAF when needed.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#3 Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I can't speak for aFe's product, but it's not widely known that some OE-replacement paper filters outflow many of the "performance" filters.
#4 Old 08-22-2011, 01:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

jimbo058 is an unknown
I used a K&N oil-type drop-in for several months before I got my Perrin CAI. The K&N worked great until I found the CAI for cheap. Had to reflash using Perrins' tune for Stage1 + CAI. It is plenty fast enough now ... any more and I would probably just get in more trouble !!!
#5 Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

CoryB is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo058 View Post
I used a K&N oil-type drop-in for several months before I got my Perrin CAI. The K&N worked great until I found the CAI for cheap. Had to reflash using Perrins' tune for Stage1 + CAI. It is plenty fast enough now ... any more and I would probably just get in more trouble !!!

What if I took off the black plastic piece that connects the airbox to the front bumper so the air flows in better...and just left te opening on the air box so I can hear turbo better? Would it mess anything up??
#6 Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

kcwrxfan is an unknown
K&N drop in is the way to go and we have no silencer on the 2011 wrx's so removing the front ram air would do nothing for sound, if you wan tto hear your turbo more get a SRI or CAI and tune.