Advice on cuppling/intercooler piping/FMIC stuff - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-16-2010, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

chrischilders22 is an unknown
Advice on cuppling/intercooler piping/FMIC stuff

i put this in 06f250sd thread but not sure when he'll get around to reading it

for the life of me i can not get this bracket to stay on. even in the picture you can see how it works itself off. ive repositioned the elbow many different ways but no matter what it works its self off, and were talking in a matter of hours not weeks or anything. its came off roughly 10 times in 3 days. any advice on a fix or where or how to make or get a replacement cuppler/ elbow/ anything to resolve the issue would be great. thanks

turbo xs DP,turbo xs cai, turbo xs FMIC,3port BCS,walbro255 fp, spt catback, perrin BOV, 300ish whp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Is the elbow TOO long ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Do you have any t-bolt clamps? That might be worth a try. You might be able to find some at your local Napa (if you have one in your area).

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I had the same problem with my tmic, and a better worm drive and some hairspray fixed it.

You could also get the AVO throttle body 1-piece pipe so you don't have that stupid pipe plus rubber end piece anymore.

-Chris
#5 Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Is the elbow TOO long ?
its the stock elbow. its just the angle/ size of the intercooler piping doesnt let it make an air tight fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Do you have any t-bolt clamps? That might be worth a try. You might be able to find some at your local Napa (if you have one in your area).
not sure what that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
I had the same problem with my tmic, and a better worm drive and some hairspray fixed it.

You could also get the AVO throttle body 1-piece pipe so you don't have that stupid pipe plus rubber end piece anymore.
worm drive? and i tried hairspray. didnt work. and do you have a link to that thing you said

turbo xs DP,turbo xs cai, turbo xs FMIC,3port BCS,walbro255 fp, spt catback, perrin BOV, 300ish whp
#6 Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Worm drive aka typical hose clamp.

The stock one on my car wore out after being tightened maybe four times, wouldn't tighten anymore and that little sleeve on the end of the throttle body pipe popped out half way.

Here's the throttle body couplers:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop...th=267_210_211

-Chris
#7 Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Worm drive aka typical hose clamp.

The stock one on my car wore out after being tightened maybe four times, wouldn't tighten anymore and that little sleeve on the end of the throttle body pipe popped out half way.

Here's the throttle body couplers:

AVOturboworld LLC
gotcha. thanks a ton man

#8 Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
you dont know what T bolt clamps are? did you get a TXS FMIC? if you did all the clamps are t bolts, replace all of them with the normal worm clamps!! dont cheap out and get $1 auto zone. look online for the good ones. t bolts do not seal and untill you do a pressure test you wont know. i guarenty you have leaks all over the place. 8 of mine leaked from TXS. and i replied on the other guys post for what you need to do.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#9 Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
you dont know what T bolt clamps are? did you get a TXS FMIC? if you did all the clamps are t bolts, replace all of them with the normal worm clamps!! dont cheap out and get $1 auto zone. look online for the good ones. t bolts do not seal and untill you do a pressure test you wont know. i guarenty you have leaks all over the place. 8 of mine leaked from TXS. and i replied on the other guys post for what you need to do.
lol the guy earlier said to get t bolts cause worm clamps suck, now your saying the opposite haha. not sure what to do. my tuner said the t bolts are better so i left them on. and we did a pressure test and there was two leaks but we fixed them,

#10 Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
T-bolt clamps are far superior to regular worm/screw style clamps. Here's one example: T Bolt Hose Clamp
Attached Images

John
#11 Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You really want a hell of a clamp? Look into Wiggins clamps, most superior clamp out, but of course they will cost you also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 08-19-2010, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

^ Well played, sir. Well played.

John
#13 Old 08-19-2010, 11:50 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Thanks John. T-Bolts will hold most applications around, but for something serios and almost worry free, you cant dispute that a wiggins clamp is the best out there.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
T-bolt clamps are far superior to regular worm/screw style clamps. Here's one example: T Bolt Hose Clamp
all i know is experiance! T bolt clamps, one dont make a 360 degree seal, and two lots of people break or crush there piping because they can tighten to much. there is no "set point". after hours at the dyno trying to seal over 8 leaks and a trip to auto zone, all were plugged first time with worm clamps. i couldnt tighten anymore with out crushing my pipe and not tight didnt work either. plan and simple!

#15 Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischilders22 View Post
lol the guy earlier said to get t bolts cause worm clamps suck, now your saying the opposite haha. not sure what to do. my tuner said the t bolts are better so i left them on. and we did a pressure test and there was two leaks but we fixed them,
all you have to do it test it brother! spend $2 and you'll fine out. get a 2" PVC end cap from lowes. drill a 11/32 hole i believe and put in a car tire valve stem. clamp that to your turbo inlet with your cold air intake coupler and go to a gas station. fill her up and listen for leaks.