about to install equal length headers... - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By titter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-12-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

vansyse is an unknown
about to install equal length headers...

'12 Wrx
Cobb stage 2 (hwg) ots map
Cobb dp and sf intake

hello everyone, new to the forum but long time wrx groupie. any advice will be appreciated!

I'm about to install a set of tomei expreme headers. I am wondering if the Cobb OTS stage 2 hwg map will be ok with these headers. Or rather, how crucial is it that i get a protune. according to my wife, this will be the last mod i make to the engine. ( )
on another note: anybody else have a ton of trouble removing the stock uppipe/headers? wd- 40 just wont do it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2016, 05:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
the cobb map notes on the cobb website lists the compatible parts for each map. go look at your map notes and see if the part is compatible.

every powertrain/engine mod you do needs a tune (there are very very few exceptions to this). upgrade multiple parts at a time to save on tuning costs. it can be an OTS map, a protune, or even an e-tune. but you'll need a tune every time u change parts.
AllExtinct likes this.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2016, 10:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
+1 on what Titter said.

WD40 is old school.
Aerokroil works wonders on everything it touches.
I call it magic juice!
Might be a bit pricey but I assure you its well worth the money for it.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Home state: PA Crew

Chuck.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-13-2016, 03:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
i totally missed that question lol...

PB Blaster is is good stuff for rusty bolts.

dont forget to wave
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

vansyse is an unknown
thanks dudes,
I have ordered some of the stuff AllExtinct suggested.
I looked up the map, it says its compatible with aftermarket uppipes, but says nothing about headers. Looks like i'll have to wait till i can afford a protune. I'd imagine i could drive around without a proper map; but at WOT i can see the need for a protune.

thanks for your help,

Vansyse
post #6 of 7 Old 07-14-2016, 05:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
if you off boost and driving like a granny, yea you might be ok. but personally i would not risk it.

look into E-Tuning. thres alot of tuners who will tune your car thorugh logs and emails. you log some pulls, email them to the tuner, he makes revisions, then u do more pulls and rinse repeat. some tuners do this 3-4 times before they sign off. its usually only likr $100-$150.

i hear good things about Eric @ Torqued Performance for e-tuning.

dont forget to wave
post #7 of 7 Old 07-18-2016, 09:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
+1 for aerokroil and +1 for Eric @ Torqued performance.

I wouldn't risk driving on those new headers. You will be sending exhaust at the turbo at a different rate/pressure with the new headers and that means the turbo will be spooling differently. Logically speaking the same amount of exhaust gas will be in contact with the turbo but direction, pressure, and laminar flow make a huge difference on how fast the turbo will spool and how much pressure it will make. Better safe than sorry.

- Jason
Slow is Smooth > Smooth is Fast