$7 antenna delete shark fin - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
$7 antenna delete shark fin

I bought a shark fin off ebay for $4.95 shipped, primed & painted it with duplicolor from the local autoparts store. I removed the antenna and cut the wiring off of it. (I can put it back together later if need be) I then grounded the chassis side (duh) and extended the antenna side all the way down the passenger side behind the trim. Then just stuck it on with the standard 3m molding tape. Completely reversible. I think it looks better, it flows with the car. I never liked the stock one much.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 06:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
very sharky....but i think it looks good....on a side note...i wish i had a garage.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
post #3 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I wish my garage had less stuff in it. LOL

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #4 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
i dont like the original one either, it reminds me of a remote control car. the shark fin looks kinda cool, that car just looks a little to busy now..i do however love the idea of doing easy cheap mods that make you love your car more
post #5 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

If you were to see it in person and I hadn't pointed it out, you likely wouldn't notice it. That's how I like most of my mods.

Brad

post #6 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 10:32 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Brad, yet again a nice job on a simple thing to the car. I think it looks great. I went and looked at some stock STI pics just to make sure I saw the difference. Keep it up man, its awesome.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 18 Old 11-30-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanx!

Brad

post #8 of 18 Old 12-01-2009, 01:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Have to update the avatar now...lol. Nice mod.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #9 of 18 Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Wait, you cut your antenna and can put it back together? Did you cut off your factory antenna wire? Is there an antenna in the shell of the fin or did you use the remaining wire as a makeshift antenna?

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #10 of 18 Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Cut the wires between the factory plug and the antenna. I extended the wires to ground the chassis one and run the antenna signal wire all the way down the passenger side behind the trim. Not quite satisfied with the reception yet, but I rarely listen to the radio with my ipod interface running.

Brad

post #11 of 18 Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Vew

The reason I ask is because what you did, you cannot "fix." Antenna wire is similar to cable tv wire. They have center conductor and a mesh like outer conductor separated by a dielectric. Even if you managed to splice the two conductors back together, you greatly increased its resistance, ruined any canceling affect the mesh conductor would have had, among other problems. Long story short, an attempt to fix it would result is decreased antenna performance.

As for the poor signal from extending the wires, it is expected. Antennas, although they look simple from the outside, are designed very carefully. This is another reason why I discourage people to use the Perrin Shorty Antennas unless they're okay with losing some reception.

The mod itself looks great, but I don't recommend others to cut their antenna wire unless they understand what they're doing.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
post #12 of 18 Old 12-02-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I understand what you're saying, but splicing the wires back isn't rocket science. Allot easier then terminating fiber-optics or the like. No worries. It isn't a big deal for me.

Brad

post #13 of 18 Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Vew

I agree that it's easier than something like fiber (a whoooole other topic we could start), but for the majority of the people that will read this, I just want to let them know that there is a high chance no matter what they do short of replacing the antenna wire, they will have permanently changed the performance of their antenna.

I do not recommend anyone to cut the wire and to just solder the individual conductors together thinking they will be repaired. It's not that simple.

EDIT: If nothing else, just ziptie the antenna under the roof somewhere if there's room to avoid permanent modification.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
post #14 of 18 Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Good point. I could have re-pinned the factory harness instead, but was feeling lazy. LOL I really doubt I'll ever go back. I'd go with an amplified hidden setup first. I am so sick of the amount of commercials on the radio these days I have little use for it. Maybe a little Bob and Tom occasionally.

Brad

post #15 of 18 Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Vew

Sirius for me. Wish I could get Pandora in my car without an iphone.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae