2014 WRX questions - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 12-18-2013, 12:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sub14WRX is more helpful than not
Garage
OP I am also new to the subaru world. I do know my subaru motors though because most of my buddies own one. I just bought a 2014 WRX Hatch today. From what I hear from my local Tuner/Friend is never to go Cobb Intake. Also apparently Cobb tunes you can download off of their website will eventually burn out your o2 sensor, so make sure you get a pro tune once you start making power.

This is what my list is to get me to about 320WHP until I go for my Stage 2 Motor Build and reach 500. Maybe you can check out some of the parts and read their reviews and find some awesome parts.

TurboXS 50/50 BOV
GrimmSpeed Up-Pipe combined with 38mm Tial Wastegate
Invidia Downpipe Divorced Wastegate w/ 2 Bungs non catted
Grimmspeed Internal WG Delete
Tsudu Cat-Back Exhaust
Protune by Procom Racing with AccessPort
My tuner said I can easy put out 320WHP on DynoJet and around 310WHP on Mustang Dyno.

After that its on to more powerful Rod's and Pistons and Low Stage Cams
6 Speed STi Trans Swap
Procom FMIC with Tial Fully Atmospheric BOV

Tuner says I can hit into the 450-500WHP zone.
Thats all I would want until I can make my Subaru not a DD car and then I am going to try and hit 700WHP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 12-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub14WRX View Post

This is what my list is to get me to about 320WHP until I go for my Stage 2 Motor Build and reach 500. Maybe you can check out some of the parts and read their reviews and find some awesome parts.

TurboXS 50/50 BOV
GrimmSpeed Up-Pipe combined with 38mm Tial Wastegate
Invidia Downpipe Divorced Wastegate w/ 2 Bungs non catted
Grimmspeed Internal WG Delete
Tsudu Cat-Back Exhaust
Protune by Procom Racing with AccessPort
My tuner said I can easy put out 320WHP on DynoJet and around 310WHP on Mustang Dyno.

After that its on to more powerful Rod's and Pistons and Low Stage Cams
6 Speed STi Trans Swap
Procom FMIC with Tial Fully Atmospheric BOV

Tuner says I can hit into the 450-500WHP zone.
Thats all I would want until I can make my Subaru not a DD car and then I am going to try and hit 700WHP.
I am not trying to be an ass and rain on your parade but, I dont think your going to see 450-500 whp with those mods and the mods your tuner says will give you 320whp will be really close to making that.

Turboxs bov: No power gains and is really not a good choice for our cars.
Grimmspeed uppipe: Minimal power gains if any. Great product though. Love mine!
Tial wastegate: No power gains but, again a great product and love mine!
Invidia divorced wastegate dp: Good gains but nothing past a typical stage 2. Why go divorced wastegate if your doing external wastegate? I think a bellmouth would be better suited for a external wg set-up.
Tsudo catback: Again typical stage 2 power level stuff.
Protune/ap: Good stage 2 gains from a good tuner are to be had here.
6 speed trans: No power gains but, great reliability upgrade.
FMIC/Tial bov: maybe small gains and could even add some lag. Will cool charged air down some though.
Rods and pistons: More of a safegaurd upgrade and no gains here unless increasing displacement.
Low stage cams: Not sure how much gains these will give you but, I am sure they are not going to bump it in the 450-500 range.

Theres no way your going to make 500 whp on the stock turbo and fuel system. I see you dont plan on doing this immediately so, my advice would take this time to enjoy your new car and maybe go stage 2 with a protune. While your enjoying this do lots of research. Congrats on the new ride.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!

Last edited by boo-key bear; 12-18-2013 at 08:43 AM.
#18 Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have a 20G (medium sized) turbo and a good bit of aftermarket goodies (pistons, rods, cams, trans upgrade, etc.) and I'm at 365 whp. 450-500 whp will require a big aftermarket turbo with supporting mods, but it's definitely doable with the right combination of parts.

John
07 WRX
#19 Old 12-18-2013, 06:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
You are right, I did forgot to list Fuel Upgrades, Upgraded Oil Pump, Injectors.
The VF52 is a nice turbo though, but I also forgot to add that I am going Rotated Turbo Manifold and Bigger Turbo.. Sometimes I leave things out.
#20 Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
You're going to have to go with a 35R or bigger rotated turbo to get to 450-500whp.
BLAZE2099 and the RIOT act like this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#21 Old 12-19-2013, 12:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yeah i figured something around there.
#22 Old 12-20-2013, 06:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Claythrow is an unknown
+ whatever on the BOV.

Are these now 6 speeds? I read the write up, but the twin scroll is all that stuck in my head.

One thing I would do though, is consider what you are going to spend on all that, & then compare it to what you could get a 2013 STI for.

I bring it up because I had a few 04's. & others will tell you, just like you, all of us had plans just to do something simple. It almost never works out like that. You get the bug & then you are dumping more money than you planned into the car. When all was said & done on my last rex, I could have bought an STI. All my funds put me at 310whp, but with much less of a car than an STI, which is around the same HP, & the STi tranny is worth it.

That aside though, before messing with the suspension, (& remember I've not seen the car on a lift yet) but a bigger oil pan, better headers & up pipe, large pipes all the way back, perhaps a bigger turbo or IC. But suspension, would be much further down my list. & with all the upgrades you mentioned, consider a 2013 or earlier very low mile STi. The Sti tranny, at least previously when it was a 5spd vs a 6spd, the Sti tranny is worth every penny.
#23 Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
The usdm sti has never been a 5 speed

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#24 Old 12-20-2013, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I think he's asking if the new WRXs are 6 spds. Not yet, the 2015 WRXs can have a 6 spd or CVT. Where did you read they are twin scroll? @Claythrow

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#25 Old 12-22-2013, 06:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm not gonna bash.
This whole thread looks like it has some great info.

But I'm gonna have to poop on that txs... Sorry

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew