2014 WRX questions - Subaru WRX Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-13-2013, 03:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

blueberryRex is an unknown
2014 WRX questions

Hey guys,

Im new to the site and new to subies as well...Ive spent almost all day reading the forum and learning on what to use what not to use...Basically gathering info on what seems to be some finicky cars from what I hear...
I just bought a 2014 WRX hatchback Im going thru the break in procedure now while I learn all I can about the car and what to expect and what to stay away from. First off I want to thank you guys for having me and proud to be a subie owner.

My first mods I plan to do to the car from the info Ive gathered and based on what Im wanting to accomplish is a mildly built DD nothing 400hp or anything like that just something reliable yet alittle snappy when I want it to be..

Ive been talking to local groups and what not they all say keep it simple with a

Performance-
COBB stage 2 power package (turbo back exhaust with a AP) from Importimageracing.com
Fastmotorsport TMIC from Importimageracing.com
Turbo Xs Hybrid BOV
DRY drop in filter
Then Tune with AP then take to my local Subie tuning shop and have a mild NON aggressive tune put on to tidy up loose ends

Suspension-
Racecomp Reg Guy lowering springs
WhiteLine Sway bars/bushings
New pads which im still uncertain about..

Sorry to be such a NOOB I just wanna get more opinions on my upgrades and see if they seem worth doing or should I go another route....

THANKS GUYS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-13-2013, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Haw1es is more helpful than not
Garage
Looks good, I have two suggestions. For the suspension, upgrade the struts at the same time. My wrx is lowered on stock struts and the ride sucks. It looks awesome but I pay for it over bumps. I would go with hawk hps pads, I have only done the rears on mine and love them. I'll be doing the fronts when its not 4 degrees out FOL.
#3 Old 12-13-2013, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jkas is an unknown
Garage
Not a huge fan of BOV's. Make you run a little rich.

But Haw1les has it on the pads. Hawk pads are really good pads. Only down side, take a little bit to warm up before they work amazing. Once warm, you can stop on a dime, literally.

Kasper
2002 WRX Bugeye
2013 Mazda CX-5
#4 Old 12-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
A few thoughts...
BOVs not good on these cars. Get full recirculating BPV. Forge and Cobb both make full recirculating BPVs that are good. Here's something to read for some information.

Go BOV Yourself!!!

Cobb AP is great but it's only good with OTS tunes up to TBE and either a cobb intake or an aem intake. You will need a protune for the intercooler. Panel filters not a good idea IMO, other than stock or an intake that has been tuned for is not recommended. the maf sensors on these especially the newer ones are very sensitive.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#5 Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Welcome! Congrats on your new purchase!

If you want a decent tune on your car, I would suggest going to the tuning shop first just to talk with them about your ideas. A reputable tuning shop will know what parts work best together for your goals.

I can tell you that most tuners will be more enthusiastic about spending time tuning your car if you don't bring them a car with a bunch of mods and expect/demand that they "make it work".

The forums are good for information and second opinions. But the most important thing you can have is a good relationship with a local tuner and independent Subaru mechanic (if you are not inclined to work on your own car).

Let us know how you progress!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#6 Old 12-13-2013, 11:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I wouldn't do a BOV unless you do a speed density set up or get a blow through FMIC setup. I belive AMS makes them.
#7 Old 12-15-2013, 01:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks guys i really appreciate the warm welcome!!

I'll def get intouch with the local subie tune shop and see what they say and suggest.

Also ill read up on the "GO BOV YOURSELF" for info

Id like to have the sound the BOV makes but if its not good for the car I can sacrifice the sound for reliablity amd performance
#8 Old 12-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

Garage
You can get the noise, just not as loud as a bov, with a forge our Cobb full recirculating bpv and an aem or Cobb intake which the AP has ots maps for those intakes, which you need to tune for the intake.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#9 Old 12-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
You can get a Forge v1 which is def louder than the v2 for your WRX. An easy adapter and you'll be good to go.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#10 Old 12-16-2013, 01:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

So I talked to my local subie tune shop (Motion Lab in charlotte nc) this morning...super helpful guys!

Said Id be better off running a invidia N1 duals turbo back exhaust....said I could either do a high flow cat or catless Down pipe

What are you guys running for down pipes? cat or catless? I wont have a issue with state inspections in NC keep that in mind.

Also what do you guys feel the best intake is? KSTech, AEM, INJEN? Short ram with box or CAI
#11 Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Downpipe = Invidia, Cobb, or Nameless for quality. Any one of these 3 will give you the same gains.

Intake = AEM, or Cobb if running an AP and NOT getting a protune. These are the only 2 OTS maps will work with. If getting a protune then I'd go with Injen...and not just cause I run one. Injen's pipe stays up inside the engine bay more than everyone else's pipes and looks much cleaner! This intake absolutely requires a protune though. And going CAI is absolutely the way to go!

And always run a catted DP! I promise you you'll have boost problems on a catless setup. We've all seen it a million times. Plus the HP gains of a catless setup aren't even enough to warranty the headaches.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
arewmors likes this.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#12 Old 12-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Garage
+1 on catted dp. I currently have a cobb catted dp and love it. You won't get much more hp out of a catless anyways. I also have an aem intake and it works well for me, I'd recommend it.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#13 Old 12-16-2013, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sweet thanks guys!

Im gunna do the install on the DP, Catback, intake, TMIC, myself to save some install fee money ($300-400)....which brings me to my next question

With the AP I can do a quick safe tune to update for upgrades in order to drive it to the TUNE SHOP right? I know the AP has maps for exhaust and CAI but will it for the TMIC upgrade or will I run into problems there?

Also is there need to upgrade Fuel pump and boost controller with what im going with now? Or is it something that can wait?
#14 Old 12-16-2013, 02:22 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You're plenty safe with a tune designed for a stock TMIC if you put on a better one.

I'd get a grimmspeed BCS but have your tuner install it, you don't want to drive around with a stock map and one of those things on. If he's getting paid to tune your car, he shouldn't charge you much to install it. It's not that hard a job.
BLAZE2099 and the RIOT act like this.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#15 Old 12-16-2013, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You're plenty safe with a tune designed for a stock TMIC if you put on a better one.
Thanks Ill install the exhaust,intake and TMIC myself then throw a AP tune on it then drive it to the Tune shop and have him do the rest...

Gunna try to do it all the week after christmas...ill post pics and dyno chart as soon as I get it all done

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!
09bluewrx likes this.