2014 WRX - CAI or DP only for Stage 2? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 01-02-2014, 05:08 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
There is no snork/silencer on the new gens.
the RIOT act likes this.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Def nothing really wrong with a hot box setup of any kind, there's just obv gains to be had from colder air the CAI will give you in many ways. A hot box setup is offering increased airflow just no temp decrease on incoming air to the engine. You can't simply do a drop in filter though like mentioned on the 08+ as it'll def lean you out. It's either the AEM CAI or Cobb SFI for intake options on an OTS Cobb AP map. If you're getting a protune I highly recommend Injen's CAI over any other brand!

And yes OP, def modify your stock heat shield to accommodate the new DP! Don't waste money on an aftermarket one though as they're all horribly designed and in no way cover the DP like the stock one does or will offer the same decreased heat soak to your IC. The mods needed to the stock heat shield are extremely minimal and best of yet...free lol! Here's a link to my build thread where I show people how to mod the stock heat shield. It should be toward the back of the thread as it's one of the last things I posted in there. Also lots of other good info as well.

http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/theriotact-s-build-thread-33552-post377506/

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
RickyTurbo11 likes this.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#18 Old 01-02-2014, 05:21 AM
Premium Member

Garage
This helped me when I modified my stock heat shield. It was nice to have some guide lines. Not that you have to follow this to a T, but it's helpful.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-inst...-mouth-dp.html

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#19 Old 01-02-2014, 05:38 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Well apparently Andy thinks my post/thread about modding the heat shield sucks 😜. Just playin' Andy I know why happened there. I can never leave my OP's alone lol!

arewmors likes this.

#20 Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

dukefist is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
Def nothing really wrong with a hot box setup of any kind, there's just obv gains to be had from colder air the CAI will give you in many ways. A hot box setup is offering increased airflow just no temp decrease on incoming air to the engine. You can't simply do a drop in filter though like mentioned on the 08+ as it'll def lean you out. It's either the AEM CAI or Cobb SFI for intake options on an OTS Cobb AP map. If you're getting a protune I highly recommend Injen's CAI over any other brand!

And yes OP, def modify your stock heat shield to accommodate the new DP! Don't waste money on an aftermarket one though as they're all horribly designed and in no way cover the DP like the stock one does or will offer the same decreased heat soak to your IC. The mods needed to the stock heat shield are extremely minimal and best of yet...free lol! Here's a link to my build thread where I show people how to mod the stock heat shield. It should be toward the back of the thread as it's one of the last things I posted in there. Also lots of other good info as well.

theRIOTact's build thread!! - Page 6 - Subaru WRX Forum

Thanks for the input.

Sorry to beat a dead horse,,, but (with a protune) the Ingen CAI would actually offer improved performance where the Cobb SFI and Airbox will not?

I read how the Ingen sits lower into the wheelwell,, what really is the likelihood it gets wet? I live in NJ outside NYC and drive mostly highway,, inner city driving,, the roads here can be fairly crappy... Not sure how many 'deep' puddles I actually hit that would make a difference.

But I'd hate to get the Ingen and be annoyed every time it rains out...if it really is that sensitive...
#21 Old 01-03-2014, 11:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The Injen intake requires a custom tune in order to install it. Though you should be getting one anyways. The Injen is a turd as far as intakes go as well. Just about every option is better.
#22 Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

dukefist is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
The Injen intake requires a custom tune in order to install it. Though you should be getting one anyways. The Injen is a turd as far as intakes go as well. Just about every option is better.
Thanks for the input. What's your recommendations on any type of intake?
#23 Old 01-04-2014, 05:10 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I'm going to throw my two cents in and probably just confuse the op even more. If I were to ever run a CAI, I would probably consider the AEM or APS.
arewmors likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#24 Old 01-04-2014, 05:15 AM
Premium Member

Garage
I like my aem quite a bit. Shop around for it though. I found the one of the cheapest pieces at summitracing.com which is where I got mine. Free shipping and I got it the next day.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#25 Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
On a side note, one of my favorite aftermarket companies is in development stages for a intake. Should be pretty soon when they release it. I cant wait to see it!
the RIOT act likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#26 Old 01-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Justin just hates on CAI systems in general OP lol! Just kidding Justin you know I love ya. But do elaborate on how the Injen is so much worse than say AEM or Cobb? Just sayin...that seemed like a pretty personal rather than factual statement. Less if weld quality an intake is an intake if tuned for...

I've owned Injen intakes on every one of my cars (4) and never once had a single issue with performance, quality, or craftsmanship OP.

The Injen CAI sits higher in the bay AND higher in the wheel well, unlike what you've read though. It looks MUCH cleaner and more OE than the AEM but that's just my personal opinion. Def not hating on AEM's quality as it's top notch! Both Injen and AEM are going to give the same HP benefits give or take so go with which one you like...and of course whether you get a Protune or not cause like mentioned you'll need it with the Injen.

I'm trying to upload pics of both but the app isn't letting me load images for whatever reason. I'll try again in a sec...

#27 Old 01-04-2014, 02:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

dukefist is an unknown
Quote:
Justin just hates on CAI systems in general OP lol! Just kidding Justin you know I love ya. But do elaborate on how the Injen is so much worse than say AEM or Cobb? Just sayin...that seemed like a pretty personal rather than factual statement. Less if weld quality an intake is an intake if tuned for...

I've owned Injen intakes on every one of my cars (4) and never once had a single issue with performance, quality, or craftsmanship OP.

The Injen CAI sits higher in the bay AND higher in the wheel well, unlike what you've read though. It looks MUCH cleaner and more OE than the AEM but that's just my personal opinion. Def not hating on AEM's quality as it's top notch! Both Injen and AEM are going to give the same HP benefits give or take so go with which one you like...and of course whether you get a Protune or not cause like mentioned you'll need it with the Injen.

I'm trying to upload pics of both but the app isn't letting me load images for whatever reason. I'll try again in a sec...

Thanks again for the input. Wonder why Ingen's seems to have such a much more dramatic effect requiring a protune... Ah,, I guess it's divergence from the stock intake,, angles, etc...
#28 Old 01-04-2014, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukefist View Post
Thanks again for the input. Wonder why Ingen's seems to have such a much more dramatic effect requiring a protune... Ah,, I guess it's divergence from the stock intake,, angles, etc...
Almost all intakes require custom tuning. As I mentioned you should be getting a custom tune anyways because it will net more power, a better power band, and, if it's done by a reputable tuner, more reliable. The OTS maps have a mixed track record when it comes to safety, but that's inherent with any generic map since you can't make a one-size-fits-all.

AEM and KSTech seem to be the ones that many tuners like.

Quote:
Some intakes historically skew MAF readings more than others. Some need only slight adjustment via tuning, while others need more thorough changes and even then the readings aren't always consistent due to turbulence. Injens tend to fall under the latter.
#29 Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Funny how no one has sucked up water in a CAI. Yet, I came around a blind corner once to a clogged storm drain and sucked up water in one my old cars on my way to work. While other cars drove through it...my car got stuck in the middle of it. Had to get out. Get wet and push my car out. After a hard start. It turned over and ran like shit until it worked the water out of the engine and exhaust. That car wasn't turbocharged either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#30 Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukefist View Post
Thanks for the input. What's your recommendations on any type of intake?
Stock. you have no reason to switch the intake on your car unless it is cracked. It will flow enough to support the amount of power you are going to be making.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...