2014 WRX - CAI or DP only for Stage 2? - Subaru WRX Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

dukefist is an unknown
2014 WRX - CAI or DP only for Stage 2?

I'll be receiving my 2014 WRX in a week or so and I'm looking to do Stage 2.
This is a daily driver car (I have 2 kids, not looking to do any super-mods, just some spirited daily driving as I drive a lot for work)

My plan thus far is:
Cobb AP
Cobb catted DP
Cobb CAI (SF Intake & Airbox)
Protune (friend has great tuner locally, he has built and raced several Subs)
Anti-sway bars - (Thoughts? I only see a front on Cobb)
Brakes (some type of upgrade eventually when needed)

From my reading on the Forum it seems that some say the CAI adds HP and some say it doesn't. Also is the Airbox worthwhile to purchase?

Thoughts? I want to add HP but also don't want to make any mods, or spend the money on something that won't add performance and could 'possibly' cause damage (Risk/Reward). I understand that any mod could essentially cause damage in the grand scheme of things.

Any input is appreciated on the CAI and/or any other suggestions that are worthwhile for a daily driver,, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The Cobb CAI isn't much of an upgrade over the stock intake. It might help you hear the turbo noises a little more. But, that's about it. If you're going stage 2 and that's it. It's a up to you mod...otherwise just leave it stock or SRI (short ram intake) a true CAI needs to go further south in your car and doesn't like deep water puddles. Which isn't always dd friendly. So, stock intake or the Cobb intake isn't bad if you want to avoid true CAI problems for dd reliability.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
man show likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 12-31-2013, 09:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Congrats on the car! It sounds like you're on the right path. Sway bars (paired with endlinks) are one of the best bang-for-your-buck mods. I ended up with Whiteline 24mm front and 22mm rear adjustable swaybars and Kartboy endlinks. I'm not sure what the market is like for third gen models (08+), but you might want to do a little reading and see what others have done. Adjustable bars are great for daily drivers (softer in the winter and stiffer in the summer) if they're available.

As far as the brakes, unless you plan on tracking the car, I would just keep the stock pads and rotors until they wear out and then go with stock-equivalent replacements, or maybe slightly better. Big brake kits are generally a waste of money unless you really plan on using the car to its full potential. You could upgrade to some stainless steel brake lines and synthetic fluid and perhaps a master cylinder brace to stiffen things up a little bit if you want.

Something else you might want to look into might be a short throw shift lever and polyurethane shifter bushings (front and rear). Poly bushings are actually pretty good everywhere

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
CAI don't go close enough to the ground to worry about any problems. The only time it would be a problem is if you're a reckless driver who likes diving full speed into flood waters, which is a problem in itself. The Cobb box isn't a CAI, it's a SRI, which even with the box will pull in hotter air than a true CAI will.

To make sure you are aware, there are other brands out there aside from Cobb.
the RIOT act and arewmors like this.
#5 Old 12-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
^yeah

I've only known of 2 people that have actually had a significant amount of water make it through the throttle body when using a CAI (They were both caught in flash flood type situations).

Most of the time if you drive with common sense and steer clear of really deep water, you'll be fine with a CAI. As most have stated, there are gains to be had with short ram style intakes, but cold air intakes are generally better performing.

As for the swaybars, I highly recommend them. They are such a small mod that makes a huge difference in the way that the car handles, with little to no decrease in ride comfort.

Whiteline makes great front and rear bars for your car that are adjustable and come with reinforcement brackets. Eibach also makes a 25mm front bar and a 20mm rear bar that are a little easier on the wallet than the whiteline bars yet still provide a big improvement.

Check our site for details on the swaybars or any other parts, and feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

2013 Subaru Impreza 4 Door Wagon WRX Sway Bar

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#6 Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO Import Tuners View Post
^yeah

I've only known of 2 people that have actually had a significant amount of water make it through the throttle body when using a CAI (They were both caught in flash flood type situations).
[/url]
Better make that 3 people. I sucked some water up (also in a flash flood situation) in my 02 wrx with cai I once had. That's why I run a Sri now.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 12-31-2013, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Nice mod plans OP. I'd recommend either Whiteline or Perrin for sways though not Cobb. Perrin's bars are a little thicker for a stiffer ride over Whiteline. I believe Whiteline's are 20/24 and Perrin's are 22/25 if memory serves me correctly. And I've read nothing but good things about Kartboy links so that's my recommendation there.

I've run a CAI on every car I've ever owned though and ALL of them were DD's and never once flooded any of them. If you're spending the money on an intake I personally find it pointless to get any type of hot box setup. Just my opinion though. Neither setup is gonna give you any HP gains worth talking about...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
arewmors likes this.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#8 Old 12-31-2013, 06:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

dukefist is an unknown
Thanks for the input everyone.

I was a little confused about the CAI and Cobb's SF Intake.

So I guess I need to re-phrase,, to do or not do Cobb's SF Intake, or any for that matter.

I'm just going with Cobb as I know they have a good rep.

Would a TMIC be a better bang for the buck? Instead of a Cobb SF Intake or another brand true CAI?

Thanks again!
#9 Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

dukefist is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
Nice mod plans OP. I'd recommend either Whiteline or Perrin for sways though not Cobb. Perrin's bars are a little thicker for a stiffer ride over Whiteline. I believe Whiteline's are 20/24 and Perrin's are 22/25 if memory serves me correctly. And I've read nothing but good things about Kartboy links so that's my recommendation there.

I've run a CAI on every car I've ever owned though and ALL of them were DD's and never once flooded any of them. If you're spending the money on an intake I personally find it pointless to get any type of hot box setup. Just my opinion though. Neither setup is gonna give you any HP gains worth talking about...

Thanks on the sway rec!
#10 Old 12-31-2013, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

dukefist is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Congrats on the car! It sounds like you're on the right path. Sway bars (paired with endlinks) are one of the best bang-for-your-buck mods. I ended up with Whiteline 24mm front and 22mm rear adjustable swaybars and Kartboy endlinks. I'm not sure what the market is like for third gen models (08+), but you might want to do a little reading and see what others have done. Adjustable bars are great for daily drivers (softer in the winter and stiffer in the summer) if they're available.

As far as the brakes, unless you plan on tracking the car, I would just keep the stock pads and rotors until they wear out and then go with stock-equivalent replacements, or maybe slightly better. Big brake kits are generally a waste of money unless you really plan on using the car to its full potential. You could upgrade to some stainless steel brake lines and synthetic fluid and perhaps a master cylinder brace to stiffen things up a little bit if you want.

Something else you might want to look into might be a short throw shift lever and polyurethane shifter bushings (front and rear). Poly bushings are actually pretty good everywhere
Thanks on the brake input. I was wondering if it was worth it or just going with a better pad, etc. when they are due..
#11 Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Another member sent this to me a few months ago. I still have yet to purchase anything but this is, was, and will be a big help when I make my final decision.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/cygnus-p...-endlinks.html

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#12 Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

dukefist is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewmors View Post
Another member sent this to me a few months ago. I still have yet to purchase anything but this is, was, and will be a big help when I make my final decision.

Swaybars & Endlinks - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
Awesome thanks!
#13 Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

RickyTurbo11 is an unknown
Good stuff

First off congrats. Secondly I have the same mods you plan on getting (except I have the invidia Q300 cbe - which i highly recommend if you want the throaty subby sound). Definitely do the sway bars n links ( i have whiteline and love them but i'm sure perrin's r great too), I love my cobb intake with "hot box". It sounds really good and thats about it. I didn't get it for any performance really. But the sound is pretty great. I would recommend it over anything else just because it fits really well. And I like the hot box. I really don't think it hurts my performance significantly, but I would suggest a turbo heat shield. And finally I 110% highly recommend a protune. I ran the cobb ots map. It was ok but when I got it protuned it was A LOT better. Big increase in HP and Torque, plus my tuner dialed it back (18.5 psi - 21 with cobb map) so its a safe, more powerful tune for a dd and I don't have to worry about fuel cuts or really damaging anything. Have fun with it. I love my wrx.
SuBeast likes this.
#14 Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
I'm not so sure about the 2014s, but I know a lot of guys like to run just the K&N drop-in air filter on the stock intakes. If what you're after is the performance I would suggest looking into doing that, unless you just want the sound from a full intake. On my 06 I did the intake silencer/snork delete and a K&N drop-in panel filter and I am happy with it's sound and performance, you'll still have the reliability of a stock part, not to mention your warranty would be nice to keep on a brand-new car.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#15 Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBeast View Post
I'm not so sure about the 2014s, but I know a lot of guys like to run just the K&N drop-in air filter on the stock intakes. If what you're after is the performance I would suggest looking into doing that, unless you just want the sound from a full intake. On my 06 I did the intake silencer/snork delete and a K&N drop-in panel filter and I am happy with it's sound and performance, you'll still have the reliability of a stock part, not to mention your warranty would be nice to keep on a brand-new car.
I believe the tune and downpipe will be the big deal breakers when it comes to his warranty.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!