2013 hatchback and e-cutout kit? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-28-2013, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

cpetersen is an unknown
Garage
2013 hatchback and e-cutout kit?

I just purchased a 2013 WRX hatchback with stock exhaust and thinking about adding either a cat-back or axel back to get that boxer rumble. I do not want low speed or highway drone or having to flash/tune the EPU at this time. At a later date, I will consider flashing the EPU after installing a complete TBE.

I am considering having a DMH performance low profile e-cutout kit with Crawford Performance Gymkhana muffler (or Nameless Performance 4" muffler) installed inline with the stock exhaust.

Can be done, should this be done, and where in the exhaust line would I put the cutout? I am currently thinking as close to the stock resonator as possible, since I am not looking for a performance gain at this time, just wicked boxer rumble.

My concerns are reliability, cutout leakage, not enough room for Gymkhana/Nameless muffler, potential to damaging engine, needing a different tune for each mode, and the cost.

I realize that this may just be a bad idea all together.

Craig
13 WRX 5-door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I don't recommend cut outs. They have a 100% failure rate. I literally can't name a person who hasn't had theirs go bad. The motors die or the valves seize from build up (which is why the motors die).

If you're looking for the rumble, get the catback. It sounds 10,000 times better than the dirty wet fart sound you get from cut outs.
#3 Old 04-28-2013, 02:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

cpetersen is an unknown
Garage
Getting a cat-back may be the best way to go. I guess I just need to find the best one for my needs.

Would like a "grown up" cat-back, good quality, 3" all the way, no-drone, comes alive when WOT, quality sister DP and not to expensive.

From reading other posts I have come up with the following list, from potentially quietest to loudest. I added a note to each, however a this note is currently it's more of a question.

GReddy SP Elite - $1,235 - Expensive
MadDad Whisper - $1,199 - Expensive
SPT Exhaust - $899 - Not bang for the buck
MadDad Whisper 3" Dual Tip - $738 - Tips looks
COBB - 1,195 - Expensive
Magnaflow - $655 - ???
Nameless w/ Magnaflow - $999 - Expensive
MadDad Essentials Street STi - $999 - Expensive
Invidia Q300 - $910 - drone in hatchback
Blitz NUR-R - $679.62 - Single tipped and too loud
Agency Power - $1,000 - Expensive & too loud
Crawford Gymkhana 1 - $540 - Awesome but too loud

Currently leaning MadDad or Nameless.

Craig
13 WRX 5-door
#4 Old 04-28-2013, 02:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

cpetersen is an unknown
Garage
The following is a list of my previous performance upgrade plan.

Now I am thinking cat-back first, since the stock exhaust is so much quieter compared to the SPT that I initially test drove and it should not void the warranty (anymore then the SPT would).

So I need a cat-back that will fit nicely into this build plan:

7. Cat-back exhaust: Same brand as down pipe (moved to first posistion)
1. Downpipe: Same brand as cat-back exhaust
2. Tune: COBB AccessPORT
3. Injectors: DeatschWerks Top Feed 565cc or 650cc (or 1000s?)
4. Plugs: NGK Iridium BKR7EIX One Step Colder
5. Fuel Pump: Deatschwerks DW65 Series 265lph Drop-in Compact
6. Intake: COBB SF Intake + Airbox - Stealth Black or something like this
(moved to first posistion)
8. Clutch Kit: ACT XT-G6
9. Flywheel: ACT Streetlite
10. Intercooler: Process West
11. Electronic Boost Control Solenoid: Grimmspeed 3-Port
12. Headers: HKS EL or something like this

Craig
13 WRX 5-door
#5 Old 04-28-2013, 02:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
There is no good reason for you to upgrade your clutch.
And if you think $1000 is too much for a quality exhaust, your playing the wrong game.
A good full exhaust will run you $1-2k easy

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#6 Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

cpetersen is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
There is no good reason for you to upgrade your clutch.
And if you think $1000 is too much for a quality exhaust, your playing the wrong game.
A good full exhaust will run you $1-2k easy
Good information on the clutch and the exhaust prices. Noting that these are all cat-backs and not turbo-backs.

I am not looking for the best one, maybe something in the middle of the pack in terms or quality, price (good bang for the buck), noise making (without highway drone.), with a decent upgrade path. I am shooting for a reliable 300-350HP when I am done and should never be on a track.

With that in mind should I stay clear of the sub $1k cat-backs on this list or start researching axle back for now? Just currently low on disposable income due to down payment.

Craig
13 WRX 5-door
#7 Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Try finding used parts I did my turbo back on my 06 Wrx for around 500 bucks. Bought a used helix catted downpipe for 150. Then bought a m2 exhaust for 200. Not the greatest exhaust but have had it on thru the pa winter with lots of salt on the road and I problems at all. Just my .02. Sounds good isn't super loud and fit right up just needed longer exhaust hangers. Check nasioc for some used parts and Craigslist

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#8 Old 04-28-2013, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

cpetersen is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_hawk_eye View Post
Try finding used parts I did my turbo back on my 06 Wrx for around 500 bucks. Bought a used helix catted downpipe for 150. Then bought a m2 exhaust for 200. Not the greatest exhaust but have had it on thru the pa winter with lots of salt on the road and I problems at all. Just my .02. Sounds good isn't super loud and fit right up just needed longer exhaust hangers. Check nasioc for some used parts and Craigslist

Good call 06_hawk_eye.

I did some searching and did not find anything used in my area at this time. Except for a COBB down pipe. Not quite ready for that yet.

Will need to keeping my feelers out.

Craig
13 WRX 5-door
#9 Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

cpetersen is an unknown
Garage
No love for the Magnaflow catback? Are the GReddy SP Elite and COBB cat-backs that much better to justify the difference in price?

Craig
13 WRX 5-door
#10 Old 04-28-2013, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Checkout the Borla cat back not sure of the price but there the the 2.5inch one they have then the xr1. Xr1 sounds really good on a Subaru it's a 3 inch catback

#11 Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

cpetersen is an unknown
Garage
Now the question changes from What to When?

I am thinking that the COBB maybe to quite, I am going with the MadDad Whisper Catback over the Borla since it has laser cut flanges and it would fit nicely with MadDad Metal V2.

Now the question changes from What to When?

Should I install an after market DP and flash the EPU when the car is still under warranty?

Craig
13 WRX 5-door
#12 Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
I don't recommend cut outs. They have a 100% failure rate. I literally can't name a person who hasn't had theirs go bad. The motors die or the valves seize from build up (which is why the motors die).

If you're looking for the rumble, get the catback. It sounds 10,000 times better than the dirty wet fart sound you get from cut outs.
Me. Two winters, thousands of miles, sold to a friend and still going strong.

Yeah but they sound freaking mean if you have the power to back it up!!

OP I don't see TXS on your list. I loved mine. Deep as hell, loud when you want it, nice CBE. If anyone ever has drone, something I found out about J pipes or 90* off to the side of the main pipe capped pipes completely eliminate drone. It's big in the muscle car world. Just cap a pipe, about 28" long, weld it to the main pipe and bye bye noise.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/