Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   2013 hatchback and e-cutout kit? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2013-hatchback-e-cutout-kit-34514/)

cpetersen 04-28-2013 12:45 PM

2013 hatchback and e-cutout kit?

I just purchased a 2013 WRX hatchback with stock exhaust and thinking about adding either a cat-back or axel back to get that boxer rumble. I do not want low speed or highway drone or having to flash/tune the EPU at this time. At a later date, I will consider flashing the EPU after installing a complete TBE.

I am considering having a DMH performance low profile e-cutout kit with Crawford Performance Gymkhana muffler (or Nameless Performance 4" muffler) installed inline with the stock exhaust.

Can be done, should this be done, and where in the exhaust line would I put the cutout? I am currently thinking as close to the stock resonator as possible, since I am not looking for a performance gain at this time, just wicked boxer rumble.

My concerns are reliability, cutout leakage, not enough room for Gymkhana/Nameless muffler, potential to damaging engine, needing a different tune for each mode, and the cost.

I realize that this may just be a bad idea all together.

brfatal 04-28-2013 12:56 PM

I don't recommend cut outs. They have a 100% failure rate. I literally can't name a person who hasn't had theirs go bad. The motors die or the valves seize from build up (which is why the motors die).

If you're looking for the rumble, get the catback. It sounds 10,000 times better than the dirty wet fart sound you get from cut outs.

cpetersen 04-28-2013 02:13 PM

Getting a cat-back may be the best way to go. I guess I just need to find the best one for my needs.

Would like a "grown up" cat-back, good quality, 3" all the way, no-drone, comes alive when WOT, quality sister DP and not to expensive.

From reading other posts I have come up with the following list, from potentially quietest to loudest. I added a note to each, however a this note is currently it's more of a question.

GReddy SP Elite - $1,235 - Expensive
MadDad Whisper - $1,199 - Expensive
SPT Exhaust - $899 - Not bang for the buck
MadDad Whisper 3" Dual Tip - $738 - Tips looks
COBB - 1,195 - Expensive
Magnaflow - $655 - ???
Nameless w/ Magnaflow - $999 - Expensive
MadDad Essentials Street STi - $999 - Expensive
Invidia Q300 - $910 - drone in hatchback
Blitz NUR-R - $679.62 - Single tipped and too loud
Agency Power - $1,000 - Expensive & too loud
Crawford Gymkhana 1 - $540 - Awesome but too loud

Currently leaning MadDad or Nameless.

cpetersen 04-28-2013 02:23 PM

The following is a list of my previous performance upgrade plan.

Now I am thinking cat-back first, since the stock exhaust is so much quieter compared to the SPT that I initially test drove and it should not void the warranty (anymore then the SPT would).

So I need a cat-back that will fit nicely into this build plan:

7. Cat-back exhaust: Same brand as down pipe (moved to first posistion)
1. Downpipe: Same brand as cat-back exhaust
2. Tune: COBB AccessPORT
3. Injectors: DeatschWerks Top Feed 565cc or 650cc (or 1000s?)
4. Plugs: NGK Iridium BKR7EIX One Step Colder
5. Fuel Pump: Deatschwerks DW65 Series 265lph Drop-in Compact
6. Intake: COBB SF Intake + Airbox - Stealth Black or something like this
(moved to first posistion)
8. Clutch Kit: ACT XT-G6
9. Flywheel: ACT Streetlite
10. Intercooler: Process West
11. Electronic Boost Control Solenoid: Grimmspeed 3-Port
12. Headers: HKS EL or something like this

BLAZE2099 04-28-2013 02:34 PM

There is no good reason for you to upgrade your clutch.
And if you think $1000 is too much for a quality exhaust, your playing the wrong game.
A good full exhaust will run you $1-2k easy

cpetersen 04-28-2013 03:05 PM

[quote=BLAZE2099;300546]There is no good reason for you to upgrade your clutch.
And if you think $1000 is too much for a quality exhaust, your playing the wrong game.
A good full exhaust will run you $1-2k easy[/quote]

Good information on the clutch and the exhaust prices. Noting that these are all cat-backs and not turbo-backs.

I am not looking for the best one, maybe something in the middle of the pack in terms or quality, price (good bang for the buck), noise making (without highway drone.), with a decent upgrade path. I am shooting for a reliable 300-350HP when I am done and should never be on a track.

With that in mind should I stay clear of the sub $1k cat-backs on this list or start researching axle back for now? Just currently low on disposable income due to down payment.

06_hawk_eye 04-28-2013 03:10 PM

Try finding used parts I did my turbo back on my 06 Wrx for around 500 bucks. Bought a used helix catted downpipe for 150. Then bought a m2 exhaust for 200. Not the greatest exhaust but have had it on thru the pa winter with lots of salt on the road and I problems at all. Just my .02. Sounds good isn't super loud and fit right up just needed longer exhaust hangers. Check nasioc for some used parts and Craigslist

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com App[/url][/color]

cpetersen 04-28-2013 05:03 PM

[quote=06_hawk_eye;300578]Try finding used parts I did my turbo back on my 06 Wrx for around 500 bucks. Bought a used helix catted downpipe for 150. Then bought a m2 exhaust for 200. Not the greatest exhaust but have had it on thru the pa winter with lots of salt on the road and I problems at all. Just my .02. Sounds good isn't super loud and fit right up just needed longer exhaust hangers. Check nasioc for some used parts and Craigslist

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com App[/url][/color][/quote]

Good call 06_hawk_eye.

I did some searching and did not find anything used in my area at this time. Except for a COBB down pipe. Not quite ready for that yet.

Will need to keeping my feelers out. !Thumbs Up

cpetersen 04-28-2013 05:10 PM

No love for the Magnaflow catback? Are the GReddy SP Elite and COBB cat-backs that much better to justify the difference in price?

06_hawk_eye 04-28-2013 06:20 PM

Checkout the Borla cat back not sure of the price but there the the 2.5inch one they have then the xr1. Xr1 sounds really good on a Subaru it's a 3 inch catback

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com App[/url][/color]

cpetersen 04-29-2013 02:52 PM

Now the question changes from What to When?

I am thinking that the COBB maybe to quite, I am going with the MadDad Whisper Catback over the Borla since it has laser cut flanges and it would fit nicely with MadDad Metal V2.

Now the question changes from What to When?

Should I install an after market DP and flash the EPU when the car is still under warranty?

synolimit 06-17-2013 06:08 PM

[quote=brfatal;300482]I don't recommend cut outs. They have a 100% failure rate. I literally can't name a person who hasn't had theirs go bad. The motors die or the valves seize from build up (which is why the motors die).

If you're looking for the rumble, get the catback. It sounds 10,000 times better than the dirty wet fart sound you get from cut outs.[/quote]

Me. Two winters, thousands of miles, sold to a friend and still going strong.

Yeah but they sound freaking mean if you have the power to back it up!!

OP I don't see TXS on your list. I loved mine. Deep as hell, loud when you want it, nice CBE. If anyone ever has drone, something I found out about J pipes or 90* off to the side of the main pipe capped pipes completely eliminate drone. It's big in the muscle car world. Just cap a pipe, about 28" long, weld it to the main pipe and bye bye noise.