Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   2012 WRX Limited Mods Incoming! Questions!?!? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2012-wrx-limited-mods-incoming-questions-32840/)

thepants1337 08-02-2012 10:01 AM

2012 WRX Limited Mods Incoming! Questions!?!?

Hey all so the mod bug is back and provided I sell my motorcycle today (looking likely), I'll be trying to add some more parts. Here's what's on my list:

TENZO-R® - CUZCO V.1 Black with Red Stripe x 4 (Wheels)
HANKOOK® - Ventus V12 evo K110 x 4 (Tires)

Stoptech stainless lines front and rear

Cobb Turbo Heatshield
Cobb Catted Bellmouth Downpipe

So my questions are as follows:

Does anyone have experience w/ the tires and/or wheels I chose? According to carid.com that combo is " guaranteed " to fit my 2012 WRX limited.

Could anyone point me to helpful how-to's for installing the brake lines and the downpipe? Also what are some tips you guys recommend to get ready for installing everything? Important tools I need etc?

Just FYI I have the Cobb Accessport and will be using the 93 octane OTS tune for the downpipe + AEM CAI.

Thanks for any and all help,
thepants

RcrsWetDream 08-02-2012 10:15 AM

But a motive brake bleeder.... Worth the $55. Also, get flare nut wrenches for the brake lines, also worth the $ so you don't strip a nut and have bigger issues with fixing your hard lines.

PB blaster for the downpipe bolts, it's a new car but they'll still be on there good from the heat.

Unless cobb changed their design, the heat shield isn't made for the 09+ even though they sell it. Look at the grimmspeed or perrin heatshield as they fit much better. I had the cobb and it rubbed on my wastegate arm and made annoying sounds, then I got the grimmspeed one and it's much better. Maybe they changed it though, not sure.

thepants1337 08-02-2012 10:30 AM

I'll go for the grimmspeed shield! Thanks for the advice.

I have PB blaster already, so good to know!

Also, flare nut wrenches... is there a particular size I should go for? Are these adjustable?

Thanks again,
thepants

EDIT: Another question, for the brake fluid i was gonna go with Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid Synthetic DOT 4 500ml. Is that enough? Do i need one bottle per wheel?

WrxCruising 08-06-2012 03:32 PM

Good luck getting the bolts off the downpipe from the turbo. My 11 wrx sedan and my friends 11 wrx hatch had those bolts on there so dam tight that we had to take them to a shop and get them torched off. But I've heard others say they were barely tight... so just don't be surprised if you can't get them off easily. Fair warning!

Hondafan 08-06-2012 05:39 PM

My 08 WRX had the nuts on really tight up top, and I had to do the old "2-wrenches extension" to get enough torque and even then I was afraid I was going to snap my Snap-On wrench... I thought that was kind of ironic... I was afraid to snap off my Snap-On wrench. Those bolts sucked. On my current STi, the bolts were snug, but it didn't take too much effort to get any of them off. I love working on the current car, as I still haven't found a bolt I couldn't break loose. Even with the motor build I didn't round off any heads, strip threads, or snap any bolts. I think that's a fair accomplishments in my history of everything going wrong at once. I think it's hit and miss with those bolts.

thepants1337 08-31-2012 02:09 PM

Hey guys, here to revive the thread.

This weekend is looking like install time for the downpipe. Here's my plan, please tell me where I'm missing stuff!

1. Remove TMIC and Turbo heat shield
2. Remove all the bolts mating the Downpipe to the Turbo
3. Go under the car and disconnect the o2 sensor
4. Also underneath remove the bolts/clips holding the downpipe in place.
5. Install new downpipe with o2 sensor (using anti-seize) and make sure to use all the same nuts/bolts/gaskets
6. Install Grimmspeed heatshield
7. Re-install TMIC
8. Flash the Cobb OTS Map for Stg 2 + AEM
9. ???
10. Profit.

Any special tools, steps I missed?

Thanks,
Thepants

mosc 08-31-2012 02:51 PM

I've actually seen it done without removing the TMIC. Better off removing it though without a lift.

turmic 08-31-2012 06:47 PM

Are you busy Sept 8th? Because we're having that Hershey meet on Sept 8th. Shameless plug. [url]http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f79/hersey-park-meet-31948/index16.html[/url]

newtothegame 09-01-2012 01:16 PM

TMIC doesnt need removed with or without a lift. Just saying. I honestly dont think it gets that much in the way. But some people dont mind tight areas others do. Good luck with the install.