Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   2012 Subaru WRX 400 whp (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2012-subaru-wrx-400-whp-31336/)

thepants1337 09-15-2011 03:19 PM

2012 Subaru WRX 400 whp

So here's where I'm at!

Waiting for pricing on the 2012 WRX so I can put down my order. After doing a lot of forum reading, researching acronyms, and general de-noobifying myself (lol), I have decided which direction I'm heading in. I'm here for advice and to see any and all gaping flaws in my plans (which will be carried out over the course of a few years I hope). Take in mind, this will be a daily driver and I have no plans of 1/4 mile, Autocross, or track days; this is just something I've wanted to do for a long long time :-D

So my plan is low 400 hp, 400 tq for the 5 speed 2012 WRX. The steps I will be doing are as follows:

First set of upgrades:
AEM CAI
Cobb AP
Cobb Catd DP
Invidia Q300 CBE

Second set of upgrades:
Perrin FMIC
HKS Fuel Upgrade Kit (800cc injectors)
Forged pistons (don't know which yet)
Uppipe (don't know which but possibley Cobb)

Third set of upgrades:
Crawford FMIC AOS
Larger Turbo (I don't want to go rotated if I don't have to)
External Waste Gate
Wideband O2 sensor
Possible clutch upgrades?

So I guess my biggest questions are, what am I forgetting? Does the order of upgrades seam correct? Will the Cobb stage 2 map w/ AEM CAI work with my first set of upgrades (using cobb catd dp)? What, if any, extra things should I need for my initial upgrades ---fittings or anything that wouldnt come in the boxs for those products?

OF COURSE I am working under the assumption that no major changes will occur between 2011 and 2012 model years but otherwise.... how does this look?

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Thepants

psinuse 09-15-2011 03:23 PM

First question. Have you ever driven a 400whp car before? Not bashing, but being honest.

wagonracer 09-15-2011 03:39 PM

You are forgetting brakes, suspension and trans upgrades, the first two of which should happen after your first "set" IMHO. Don't know why you would want a "hot air intake" but to each his own ;) BTW, Why are you planning on getting two different FMICs ?

RcrsWetDream 09-15-2011 07:57 PM

^He means the crawford aos for fmic setups.

Definitely a rookie goal at first glance without knowing more about you though. If you've driven high power cars before then you can probably handle it, but if you have yet to even drive a car like the WRX with 265 bhp, you're in a world of hurt at 400whp. A true 400whp in a WRX is a FAST car.

If you're only talking 400bhp, well then the stock turbo can be pushed that far with relative ease. Definitely add better rubber, at least sway bars and endlinks, engine and trans mounts, misc. bushings to tighten up the rest of the driveline, an aftermarket boost controller (3-port at a minimum, hybrid if you're a baller), some sort of ported or aftermarket exhaust manifold/header. That AEM intake probably won't be big enough for 400whp, so I'd go for a 73mm intake like the KSTech or other bigmaf type intakes.

turmic 09-15-2011 10:01 PM

Other errors is that you won't need a new up pipe until you go EWG. Unless your using a block off plate on a grimmspeed UP....I believe its their UPs that have that feature. You'll always want OEM gaskets or upgraded gaskets. Sometimes the gaskets that come in the box with your parts are thin and crappy. Another fact is that some of your upgrade path might be etched out by which professional tuner you end up using.

psinuse 09-16-2011 05:13 AM

[quote=psinuse;267984][COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="5"]First question. Have you ever driven a 400whp car before? Not bashing, but being honest.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote]

I quoted myself here just to clarify....;)

thepants1337 09-16-2011 09:42 AM

[quote=psinuse;268023]I quoted myself here just to clarify....;)[/quote]

In all honesty, the fasted car I've driven thus far is a Porsche Caymen S. But nothing AWD with that much HP. I drove an 06 STI a while back but it was stock all around.

@RcrsWetDream

This is most certainly a rookie goal, no offense taken. I am new to working on my own car but have been doing a lot of learning over the past month or so in my free time. This is just something I have wanted to do for a long long time and have been interested in but could never really afford. I now have a real job (horay engineering degree) and can pursue my fun lol. Also, at stake of being a noob again (lol) what is the difference between whp and bhp? I know wheel horse power but is bhp the power at the crank (which i assume means before any loss through the drive train?)

Could you point me to where I could look at the appropriate aftermarket boost controllers? and the sway bars and endlinks, engine and trans mounts, and misc. bushings ? I'm very much in the learning process still and want to do things right. This car will be my daily driver for a long time but I plan on keeping it as my fun car even after I get another car.

@Wagonracer

What would you recommend as far as brakes and suspension? And what trans upgrades did you have in mind?

@Turmic

Where would you recommend for some OEM gaskets?

and finally, I will be needing some tuning... obviously haha. Is there anyone that is recommended for the Harrisburg PA area?

Thanks again for all the help guys,
Oh and apparently I can't put down my order until Oct 21 (new pricing for 2012's) BASTARDS! lol I'm a little excited and impatient I guess. ROFL

Thepants

RcrsWetDream 09-16-2011 11:45 AM

[quote=thepants1337;268028]In all honesty, the fasted car I've driven thus far is a Porsche Caymen S. But nothing AWD with that much HP. I drove an 06 STI a while back but it was stock all around.

@RcrsWetDream

This is most certainly a rookie goal, no offense taken. I am new to working on my own car but have been doing a lot of learning over the past month or so in my free time. This is just something I have wanted to do for a long long time and have been interested in but could never really afford. I now have a real job (horay engineering degree) and can pursue my fun lol. Also, at stake of being a noob again (lol) what is the difference between whp and bhp? I know wheel horse power but is bhp the power at the crank (which i assume means before any loss through the drive train?)

Could you point me to where I could look at the appropriate aftermarket boost controllers? and the sway bars and endlinks, engine and trans mounts, and misc. bushings ? I'm very much in the learning process still and want to do things right. This car will be my daily driver for a long time but I plan on keeping it as my fun car even after I get another car.
[/quote]

You got it on BHP vs WHP. Bhp is measured at the crank and is what the car is rated at from the factory... The WRX is advertised as 265 hp, and that's BHP. WHP accounts for the power that the car actually puts through to the wheels and is always lower. I can get into the debate that it's a constant 40ish hp loss to the wheels, and some guys use the initial loss and figure out what percentage that is and use it for whatever WHP they make.

Anyways, grimmspeed has arguably the best boost controller on the market. Just google search grimmspeed 3-port ebcs.

Engine and trans mounts you can go with the subaru group-n mounts. They're much stiffer than OEM. Bushings I would look to whiteline. Shifter bushings, rear diff. bushings, subframe bushings, etc. Just do some research and you can figure out which ones are worth doing. Sway bars are the same, there are a lot of brands out there, but perrin and whiteline are the most popular. As for endlinks I run Perrin's, but the Kartboy solid endlinks are probably the best on the market right now. They also make a nice short shifter which is worth the $130. BTW don't bother with the Subaru SPT short shifter, it's pretty worthless.

For power I would do the turbo back, intake, fmic/tmic, 3-port bcs, maybe headers/pnp exhaust mani and see how you like that power. That will put you in the 300-310whp range on 93 octane. If you go E85 afterwards, you'll need to get bigger injectors and a fuel pump and then you can push about 350whp with the stock turbo (look at Five-O, Injector Dynamics, Deatschwerks for the injectors, Deatschwerks or Aeromotive for the fuel pump; honestly don't bother with HKS on a Subaru).

That's pretty much my setup (look in my profile) and I'm making around 350whp/365wtq and I know the car can do 11's if I can drive it hard enough.

thepants1337 09-16-2011 01:19 PM

[quote=RcrsWetDream;268032]You got it on BHP vs WHP. Bhp is measured at the crank and is what the car is rated at from the factory... The WRX is advertised as 265 hp, and that's BHP. WHP accounts for the power that the car actually puts through to the wheels and is always lower. I can get into the debate that it's a constant 40ish hp loss to the wheels, and some guys use the initial loss and figure out what percentage that is and use it for whatever WHP they make.

Anyways, grimmspeed has arguably the best boost controller on the market. Just google search grimmspeed 3-port ebcs.

Engine and trans mounts you can go with the subaru group-n mounts. They're much stiffer than OEM. Bushings I would look to whiteline. Shifter bushings, rear diff. bushings, subframe bushings, etc. Just do some research and you can figure out which ones are worth doing. Sway bars are the same, there are a lot of brands out there, but perrin and whiteline are the most popular. As for endlinks I run Perrin's, but the Kartboy solid endlinks are probably the best on the market right now. They also make a nice short shifter which is worth the $130. BTW don't bother with the Subaru SPT short shifter, it's pretty worthless.

For power I would do the turbo back, intake, fmic/tmic, 3-port bcs, maybe headers/pnp exhaust mani and see how you like that power. That will put you in the 300-310whp range on 93 octane. If you go E85 afterwards, you'll need to get bigger injectors and a fuel pump and then you can push about 350whp with the stock turbo (look at Five-O, Injector Dynamics, Deatschwerks for the injectors, Deatschwerks or Aeromotive for the fuel pump; honestly don't bother with HKS on a Subaru).

That's pretty much my setup (look in my profile) and I'm making around 350whp/365wtq and I know the car can do 11's if I can drive it hard enough.[/quote]

Thx for the quick response,

Once I have my car in hand which won't be until like december I think I'm gonna get my first set of upgrades as follows:

KsTech 73mm Big MAF CAI (type 3 for perrin FMIC)
Perrin FMIC kit
Cobb AP
Cobb Catd DP
Perrin Swaybars
Perrin Endlinks
Whiteline Bushings
-Shifter
-Rear Diff
-Subframe
Cobb CBE
Kartboy Short Shifter
GrimmSpeed EBCS

All this with a proper install and tune of course. What would you recommend for gauges if I got an A pillar setup? boost gauge (what brand?) and what else? Would it makes sense to have a wideband o2 sensor installed at this point?

Also, can you or anyone explain what is meant by a hybrid boost controller setup? And when you said Turbo back exhaust does that mean a downpipe plus the CBE? or is there a seperate type of exhaust setup?

Essentially what I'm doing right now is researching my plans for my build and focusing on what the first "chunk" of my spending will be on lol :D

Thanks for all the advice,
Thepants

brfatal 09-16-2011 01:37 PM

I suggest passing on the Perrin parts in your list. Everything else looks good.

As for widebands, stick with AEM, Innovate or PLX. Only get one if the data means anything to you (meaning you can actually interpret it).

My biggest piece of advice is to not not mod past your level of understanding. You can make expensive mistakes.

turmic 09-16-2011 07:34 PM

The dealer as OEM gaskets or normally places like grimmspeed carry a lot of gaskets. Meh...I don't what is closer to harrisburg than York, PA's tuner. CBRD, but he doesn't tune for E85. Take a look at this link and see who you want to go to. I love my AP...but, if your going to a tuner for a custom tune on your first set of upgrades. You could pass it up for a custom Open Source tune....its up to you. I like it and many others like its features. But, it is more money than a open source tune. Its up to you...if you want to run with a AP. Make sure your professional tuner can tune and make maps for the AP.

Edit: Again..consulting with who ever you pick as your tuner will and can sometimes change which exact parts you run. Some tuners have a aversion to certain parts from bad experiences or won't do certain fuels (like E85 due to personal reasons or insurance reasons). The only down fall of my tuner is that he won't tune E85...I wish he would. But, I can get by with some 93 oct tunes.

Check out this link.
[url]http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f100/tri-state-tuners-31197/[/url]

psinuse 09-16-2011 08:24 PM

[quote=RcrsWetDream;268032]That's pretty much my setup (look in my profile) and I'm making around 350whp/365wtq and I know the car can do 11's if I can drive it hard enough.[/quote]

On a VF52 none the less. ROFL ROFL

thepants1337 in all seriousness, go out and take a ride in a car making that kind of power and slow build up to it. I can not stress that enough. All the upgrades in the world don't mean squat if you can't control the car...

turmic 09-16-2011 08:39 PM

Yeah...its not a bad idea. Its what I did (took my car upgrades in small doses) and my car is pretty comparable to Chris's car. Its a heck of a lot more than what it was stock. Jumping in small stages lets you adapt to the new power. I'm going to have to relearn my car some when I get it back from my tuner. I'd say tq is the most noticeable....but even 30 whp/tq is easy to notice when your used to the power you have. Its what makes the mod bug so addicting...you keep feeling your car get better.

thepants1337 09-19-2011 09:05 AM

[quote=psinuse;268048]On a VF52 none the less. ROFL ROFL

thepants1337 in all seriousness, go out and take a ride in a car making that kind of power and slow build up to it. I can not stress that enough. All the upgrades in the world don't mean squat if you can't control the car...[/quote]

Just to be clear on what I'm working towards. I basically want to have an end goal of 400whp but I will be modding for the next 5-10 years. I just want to make sure that I'm not holding myself back by getting limiting components. If, for example, I got to like 340 whp and found that was enough for me then I may stop upgrading, who knows. I just think the best way is to pick a target goal and build with that in mind so I don't get 3/4 the way there and find I need to replace my CAI or other components.

I'm gonna shoot an e-mail to the tuners in york and see what they have to say about my first set of upgrades. I also don't really plan on running anything but pump gas, ethanol isn't really a readily available thing where I am.

@Brfatal

When you say passing on the perrin parts, do you mean the swaybars and endlinks? or the FMIC also? If so, what FMIC would you recommend?

Oh and what are the general thoughts on having EGT, Boost, and Wideband O2 sensor for 3 gauges? (I'm not sure if I want center mount or A pillar).

Oh and as far as modding past my understanding, I really don't want to put anything on my car that I don't know what it does so I'll be researching relentlessly lol (I'm an engineer so research is my thing)

Oh and could anyone explain how a hybrid boost control setup works? (thanks :D)

Thepants

pzr2874 09-19-2011 10:52 AM

EGT, Boost, AFR and Oil temp and the big ones.

As far as the Hybrid Controller <-- Sounds voodoo'ish to me.... ahhahaha