Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Tech (EJ255/EJ257 2.5L 2008+ WRX, STi, and GT) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   2011 WRX - Stage 2 + E85 (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-stage-2-e85-30546/)

xluben 04-07-2011 11:35 AM

2011 WRX - Stage 2 + E85

I've posted my results elsewhere, but I thought I'd put them up here as well.

[b]Model:[/b] 2011 WRX 5 Door
[b]Type of Dyno: [/b]Virtual Dyno - Dynojet Setting
[b]Fuel:[/b] Winter Mix E85 (E70) with ~3gal of pump gas left in the tank :(
[b]Horsepower:[/b] 352WHP
[b]Torque:[/b] 382WTQ
[b]Mods: [/b]
SPT CBE
COBB DP
IPR TMIC
Forge BPV
AEM CAI
GrimmSpeed EBCS
GrimmSpeed MBC
Walbro 255
1200cc Injectors

[img]http://benjohnson.smugmug.com/photos/1213052757_2UYNz-XL.jpg[/img]

Hopefully this thread won't be hijacked by synolimit talking about his car :p

For anyone considering E85, go for it! You can see the gains I got over a normal Stage 2. With added boost you can see an additional 50WHP/50WTQ over pump gas. I definitely think it's worth it if you have E85 locally. The car pulls soooo much stronger now, and the power band is great. Lots and lots of torque :)

RcrsWetDream 04-07-2011 12:01 PM

Are those Five-O Injectors? What are your IDC's?

xluben 04-07-2011 12:03 PM

Yes, Five-O injectors. I believe the IDC's are in the uppers 60's, maybe 70. Definitely have tons of headroom...

synolimit 04-07-2011 12:08 PM

Ha!!!

xluben 04-07-2011 12:12 PM

So, when [I]are [/I]you going to E85? I can tell you're itching for more power...

RcrsWetDream 04-07-2011 12:15 PM

Your tuner have any issues with the Five-O's? There seem to be a lot of haters out there but I'm really starting to like their stuff. They're the same thing as ID's but about $125 less.

xluben 04-07-2011 12:22 PM

The NASIOC E85 threads seem to love them. Except for a few people that got 1of4 that were DOA. The reports all seemed to pop up a few days after I installed mine (problem free). They are modified Bosch, so they should be pretty solid (other than possible DOA issues, I guess). Mine start and idle fine (even though they are quite large). My tuner has had good luck with them, so that's what he recommended for me. No complaints yet.

synolimit 04-07-2011 12:35 PM

[quote=xluben;259297]So, when [I]are [/I]you going to E85? I can tell you're itching for more power...[/quote]

i dont know. im kinda scared but i am itching for power. next tune will be fuel lines, EL header, 3" inlet, TGV deletes, 3 bar MAP, and injectors pushing 23-24psi from 21psi and 17psi at redline from 15.5psi. that alone should have some nice gains. while we cant go off peak dyno numbers cause its just a tuning tool, im scared because my increase over stock will about 120WHP and 160WTQ i hope!! adding E85 is just going to add another 10-30 HP and TQ and thats scary!! !Cry!

xluben 04-07-2011 12:41 PM

[quote=synolimit;259300]i dont know. im kinda scared but i am itching for power. next tune will be fuel lines, EL header, 3" inlet, TGV deletes, 3 bar MAP, and injectors pushing 23-24psi from 21psi and 17psi at redline from 15.5psi. that alone should have some nice gains. while we cant go off peak dyno numbers cause its just a tuning tool, im scared because my increase over stock will about 120WHP and 160WTQ i hope!! adding E85 is just going to add another 10-30 HP and TQ and thats scary!! !Cry![/quote]
I'd be way more scared about pushing it to the limits with pump gas (24psi!!!!) than I would be about 400WTQ on E85. I just feel a lot more comfortable going for more power with E85 than I ever would with pump gas. If I were still on pump gas, I'd still be sticking with 18psi no matter what bolt on's I had. I just don't think it's worth the risk.

synolimit 04-07-2011 12:44 PM

[quote=xluben;259299]The NASIOC E85 threads seem to love them. Except for a few people that got 1of4 that were DOA. The reports all seemed to pop up a few days after I installed mine (problem free). They are modified Bosch, so they should be pretty solid (other than possible DOA issues, I guess). Mine start and idle fine (even though they are quite large). My tuner has had good luck with them, so that's what he recommended for me. No complaints yet.[/quote]

i showed my tuner a few threads because he never heard of them before. when people started talking about issues with scaling them back and other things i dont understand tuning wise, he said lets just stick to FIC or ID. it sucks because the best ive seen is a $165 difference!

RcrsWetDream 04-07-2011 01:03 PM

^ I'm just giving the Five-O's time to be proven or defeated. So far there seem to be a few people that just really have an agenda against them, and then 99% of the guys that use them, love them.

C'mon man you're the king of cheap! Dooo eeet! More data for me to base my decision!

synolimit 04-07-2011 01:10 PM

[quote=xluben;259301]I'd be way more scared about pushing it to the limits with pump gas (24psi!!!!) than I would be about 400WTQ on E85. I just feel a lot more comfortable going for more power with E85 than I ever would with pump gas. If I were still on pump gas, I'd still be sticking with 18psi no matter what bolt on's I had. I just don't think it's worth the risk.[/quote]

i know its the limits of the turbo but 24+psi is run on bigger turbos all the time making 400-600hp on pump. my friend has a built evo with a gt35 running 26psi i think on just 93 BP. he tunes at Burshur racing on a crazy low mustang making 434hp i think.

any reasons its a bad idea? is it about the boost pressure, turbo, motor or something else?

EDIT: well i talked to my friend, just want to confirm. is it more dangerous to run 24psi on my VF52 making 350hp or like 19psi on a GT30 making 350hp? he says more boost equals more heat. even though i have a large FMIC, the heat or high boost pressure is bad for the motor.

synolimit 04-07-2011 01:43 PM

[quote=RcrsWetDream;259303]
C'mon man you're the king of cheap! Dooo eeet! More data for me to base my decision![/quote]

LOL, ya but if my tuner has trouble tuning them it will cost me more there. ID's are even scaring me now. i seen a guy saying they dont do what they say, like his 1000's had to be scaled and run at 910cc or something. !Cry!!Cry! i just want hassle free cheap injectors that will work and work well !Cry!!Cry!

xluben 04-07-2011 02:22 PM

[quote=RcrsWetDream;259303]^ I'm just giving the Five-O's time to be proven or defeated. So far there seem to be a few people that just really have an agenda against them, and then 99% of the guys that use them, love them.[/quote]
Well, Phatron was one of the big supports of them on NASIOC and it appears he has now stopped supporting them (as of today I guess). I'm not really sure if I even understand what the issues have been. It seems like a random variety of things.

[quote=synolimit;259305]i know its the limits of the turbo but 24+psi is run on bigger turbos all the time making 400-600hp on pump. my friend has a built evo with a gt35 running 26psi i think on just 93 BP. he tunes at Burshur racing on a crazy low mustang making 434hp i think.

any reasons its a bad idea? is it about the boost pressure, turbo, motor or something else?

EDIT: well i talked to my friend, just want to confirm. is it more dangerous to run 24psi on my VF52 making 350hp or like 19psi on a GT30 making 350hp? he says more boost equals more heat. even though i have a large FMIC, the heat or high boost pressure is bad for the motor.[/quote]
Yes, psi vs. psi is totally different between turbo's! It is all related to the compressor map. Once you get out of the are where the turbo is working efficiently, it's really just blowing hot air. Big turbo's are not just for higher pressure, but really for higher flow (while staying in the efficient region of their respective compressor map).

The example in your EDIT is exactly right. You're VF52 would be screaming and pumping tons of hot air to make that power. The GT30 would barely be breaking a sweat. I'm not really an expert on choosing turbo's, so I would consult with others (ie. your tuner), but I wouldn't want to push a VF52 even to 20psi on pump gas.

synolimit 04-07-2011 04:16 PM

well i guess we'll just watch the tune. one plus about the FMIC and/or high boost=high heat, im blow through so my temp sensor is right before the TB to watch heat. im not worried about the manifold popping like a balloon and doing a compression test the motor see's 100+ psi so i guess ill just keep a close eye on power drop and knock.

thanks for pointing that out. i never thought of it like that before.