2011 wrx RPM slip @ 4,000 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Robofstop is an unknown
2011 wrx RPM slip @ 4,000

I have the cobb performance package (AP,DP,CB exhaust) and sf intake on my 2011 wrx and recently noticed a slip during a 3rd and 4th gear pull @ 4,000 RPM. I am running a stage 2 HWG map and had it pro tuned when installed. I was wondering if I just need another tune or if this is a good sign to buy a better clutch. would love any advice or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Are you sure the clutch is actually slipping? How many miles on the clutch? Is this your first manual car? Sounds more like you wore out the clutch than anything else. You shouldn't need an upgraded clutch with those parts. Even if your clutch is shot, I would tell you to buy an OEM clutch again anyway. A stronger clutch will just put more pressure on your transmission and is unnecessary. It's designed to slip before the gears would snap.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 07-16-2012, 11:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Robofstop is an unknown
I have only driven a manual and have never had any issues, 25,000 miles... it started after the install, it feels like it is re-engaging which made me wonder if a better clutch was needed as it only happens at 4,000 RPM. is there a solid way to test for this or do I just need to have it looked at? if I am getting a new clutch I would want to upgrade, is there a clutch that you recommend that is better but not overkill? I do plan on adding to this car down the road but in a year or two. thanks for the quick response!
#4 Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Try resetting your ECU and see if it does it again....Is the car simply just reving up at that rpm or are you shifting at that rpm and then it slips?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robofstop View Post
I have only driven a manual and have never had any issues, 25,000 miles... it started after the install, it feels like it is re-engaging which made me wonder if a better clutch was needed as it only happens at 4,000 RPM. is there a solid way to test for this or do I just need to have it looked at? if I am getting a new clutch I would want to upgrade, is there a clutch that you recommend that is better but not overkill? I do plan on adding to this car down the road but in a year or two. thanks for the quick response!
test is easy. find a hill, put it in 2nd, or 3rd and low RPM and go WOT. at about 3-4k the clutch should let go and the rpms should shoot up without going any where.

get the ACT HDSS

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#6 Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Or just drive in 3rd gear, push the brake a little while also pushing on the gas. If the car revs up and you don't gain any speed then you're clutch is starting to slip. I've been driving on my slipping clutch for 9 months now because I don't have time to tear it apart.

-Chris
#7 Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Robofstop is an unknown
Thanks again for the replies! I have done a few tests and it is pretty clear its the clutch slipping. I actually ordered just that the ACT HDSS and i figured I should put in a new OEM just because its already taken apart. I am having it installed today so i'll see how it works. I have heard different things about breaking in the new clutch, should I just do easy driving for the first 500-1000 miles? Thanks again
#8 Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yes, just take it easy for 500 miles or so

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Could have gotten a stock clutch for free from Subaru as long as your flywheel isn't blue.
#10 Old 07-28-2012, 12:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Robofstop is an unknown
new clutch is installed... I am driving it easy for the first 500 miles but have had some shaking when starting.. all other shifts are smooth and it dosnt always shake but when it does its pretty aggressive. is this normal?