2011 WRX, I went stage 2 and protuned for $675 :)..dyno results inside - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ABQMK2 is an unknown
2011 WRX, I went stage 2 and protuned for $675 :)..dyno results inside

Well, I just got my 2011 WRX pro-tuned by Cameron at CAMTuning.com - Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Nissan Engine Management and Dyno Tuning Solutions - Home and I wanted to share my result with you guys. For those of you that have anything shitty to say, keep it to yourself please. Im not bragging here, just sharing. I think the prices on line for stage 2 (perrin,cobb etc etc)are over priced and wanted to do it on a budget..thats all.

I bought a used invidia DP of craigslist for $250 and picked up a K&N drop in filter for $25.(had a $20 credit on my autozone rewards card I used)

After I installed the DP I drove it over to get tuned, I never got Into boost and it never threw a CEL with the DP on. We strapped it on the rollers (dyno jet) and got after it. It was around 65F and I don’t recall the DA but I will check. The Altitude here is 5469’ MSL. Tune is on 91 octane, it’s the best we got here in Albuqueruque NM.

Edit:it was nice and cool that day and the density Altitude was only 6600' MSL. which is pretty low for around here. Ive seen it up to 8900'!!

Forgot to add, i know its not on the sheet, but Cam told me Im at 17PSI to 17.5PSI on the final tune.

I really wanted a base pull completely stock but that didn’t prove possible since I had to install the DP 1st. The downpipe was pretty strait forward, except the bolts and nuts are very, very tight from the factory. I used an impact on 4 out of 5 bolts to break them loose. The 5th one Started to strip on me so I took it to my local shop and they broke it loose for me for free, love those guys at super 6 tokyo automotive. Just make sure you use a 6 point 14mm socket in ½ drive. An 18” breaker bar was needed for the last bolt. I soaked them over night with PB blaster as well.

The down pipe to stock exhaust doesn’t seal very good. I even tried a new 3” 2 bolt gasket and copper RTV sealer and even turned the factory donut/gasket around and still didn’t seal tight. I ordered an adapter from grimmspeed today, that should fix it!

We did a couple pulls but had trouble with a cable and the data was getting frigged up, so we changed out a cable and put down the the top numbers in the pic below, so we used that as our base. I was impressed with that alone. Then the bottom number is the one we settled with.

We did put down a little more than this but I told him to be conservative and make sure the AFR’s were nice and fat. So he did.

I must say, Cam is one cool cat. He’s real easy to talk to and not a stuck up, my shit don’t stink type tuner unlike some of the “Supra” tuners Ive met. I cant wait until he tunes my 2JZ’d MK2 Supra. I would recommend him to anyone.

Heres the sheet....WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT TQ?...WOW! its neck snapping..LOL!

we probably did 8-10 pulls..so heres some ramdom pics of the monitor I took. Enjoy.

Cam tuned stage 2 2011 WRX
270HP/340TQ @ 17PSI 91 Octane

Jake

Last edited by ABQMK2; 10-05-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: more 411
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-04-2011, 08:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

tommelleo22 is an unknown
that's exactly why i've been talking to cam about doing my stage 2 tune.
post #3 of 24 Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ABQMK2 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommelleo22 View Post

Talking to Cam all the way from New Castle PA, Wow! BTW, Im originally from Meadville. Good to see some PA boys on here..GO Pens, Steelers and Bucs!!

Jake
post #4 of 24 Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

ya unfortunately i'll have to do a mail order tune but it's cool though. and really? meadville to NM?! what's up with that transition lol
post #5 of 24 Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Cam is the bomb. He tuned 2 of my old Subies and comes down to Austin twice a year. He's a good guy.

COBB Plano really likes him as well. His e-tunes are nice from what I've seen/heard

I like his road/street tunes

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #6 of 24 Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ABQMK2 is an unknown
Meadville to NM Via Around the world..Join the Air Force and thats how it happens. Im out now and this is were I "settled" for now. I wouldnt mind moving to PIT someday, but the weather here rocks! and no rust...pffft shaaaw! love it!

Cam is the right kind of tuner in my opinion, since he is an engineer by trade he has the knowledge base and attn to detail that makes him a top tier tuner.

I still cant belive the TQ he got me, the WRX is night and day to drive from before to now...Time to go play.

is it me or is this a small sleepy forum? I like that about this forum, not really busy. I like NASIOC forum especially the classifieds since it moves at lightning speed but I dont know if I should even post this thread over there, maybe I can go get my flame suit on then do it?...J/K.

BTW, i lived in San Antone too, for about a year, went to lackland then a some training there after basic...I dig that riverwalk. I took my family there last year. They dug it too.

Jake
post #7 of 24 Old 10-05-2011, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It is low traffic here, but the traffic is nice/knowledgeable. So it evens out.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #8 of 24 Old 10-05-2011, 11:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQMK2 View Post
Talking to Cam all the way from New Castle PA, Wow! BTW, Im originally from Meadville. Good to see some PA boys on here..GO Pens, Steelers and Bucs!!
Cam tuned my old STI and and I have talked with him via IM and email for a few years. He does a great job.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-05-2011, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
Thats good power for just a Dp, filter and tune.

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
post #10 of 24 Old 10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

that's awesome bro how was your time in the AF my friend just enlisted. but yea pits a beautiful city but the weather doesn't pair up to NM lol. and to your question about nasioc. it's hit or miss you either have great people on your thread or the 100lb online hardasses. lol take it with a grain of salt and don't get mad over it.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-05-2011, 06:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

and ken wait till cam heres about your map that you're running at the moment ;-X
post #12 of 24 Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
looks like heat soak, every run power kept dropping. going to need a FMIC soon. yes you can use a bigger TMIC but it will heat soak too on a dyno.

also knock at 5200rpm?? never seen a VF52 drop that bad unless somethings going on. looks a little scary to me!! a 25hp drop then back up 15-20 is totally not a good thing.

also we redline at 6600-6700rpm, 6200 is a little early no?

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #13 of 24 Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ABQMK2 is an unknown
Im not sure where youre seeing knock, I assume you can see it in the graph somehow, I thought the dip there is where the ecu did correct and that must be the knock?If im wrong then advise. We had a 2 or 3 runs with a bad cable in the beginning so that sucked for my WRX and got her worked hard for nothing, but i dont know if theyre in the pics. All the runs arent posted in pics. Also remember I told him to be conservative, so i dont know if thats why we went up to 6200rpms or not, I never run my car that high and never will intentionally. Im not trying to sound defensive here so please dont take it that way.

he mentioned that the ecu had corrected something on one of the runs and he didnt like it and went back in and corrected it. maybe that was the knock you noticed?? Im sure the IC was plenty heat soaked, i was spraying the hell out of it with water between runs and running the fans best we could. It sounded like bacon sizzling under the hood when i sprayed water on the IC, we even had a fan attached to the IC, But all the runs we did, she had to of been hot! I even held a fan right up to the intake to help force cooler air into it on the last 2 pulls.

In the end, dynoing can be scary and bad things happen on the dyno and thats the chance we take but, thats why you get a good tuner with a good rep and you can trust. Cam is that guy for me.

As far as the FMIC and the TMIC, youre right, Cam told me thats my next upgrade for sure and it would of helped big time on these pulls, Im leaning towards a TMIC because heat soak on the dyno is pretty much on the dyno and i like easy installs..LOL!, yes we could get into the TMIC vs FMIC all day and I know all about it, but TMIC is my next mod.

That being said, What do you guys think about the fast motor sports TMIC? Its looking good to me, I hope they got the fitment issues worked out on that, otherwise its big bucks on the Perrin TMIC?

Jake
post #14 of 24 Old 10-05-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ABQMK2 is an unknown
Quote:
that's awesome bro how was your time in the AF my friend just enlisted. but yea pits a beautiful city but the weather doesn't pair up to NM lol. and to your question about nasioc. it's hit or miss you either have great people on your thread or the 100lb online hardasses. lol take it with a grain of salt and don't get mad over it.

I had the time of my life in he AF, but i wasnt deployed all the time like the troops are now. Tell youf friend to live it up and enjoy. Thank him for me for serving.

As far as the online hardasses, Ive been on forums way before they were forums, way back when they were yahoo groups. So yeah, i know how to handle those guys. 9 times outta 10 they just a punk ass behind a keyboard running their mouths and if you live close to them and called them out they would bitch out for sure. Im outta that stage in my life now, but ive called out a few asshats in my day and their story changes real quick in person, and Ive had one that we actually got after it..that was fun. we are good friends now..funny how shit pans out.

Jake
post #15 of 24 Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQMK2 View Post
Im not sure where youre seeing knock, I assume you can see it in the graph somehow, I thought the dip there is where the ecu did correct and that must be the knock?If im wrong then advise. We had a 2 or 3 runs with a bad cable in the beginning so that sucked for my WRX and got her worked hard for nothing, but i dont know if theyre in the pics. All the runs arent posted in pics. Also remember I told him to be conservative, so i dont know if thats why we went up to 6200rpms or not, I never run my car that high and never will intentionally. Im not trying to sound defensive here so please dont take it that way.

he mentioned that the ecu had corrected something on one of the runs and he didnt like it and went back in and corrected it. maybe that was the knock you noticed?? Im sure the IC was plenty heat soaked, i was spraying the hell out of it with water between runs and running the fans best we could. It sounded like bacon sizzling under the hood when i sprayed water on the IC, we even had a fan attached to the IC, But all the runs we did, she had to of been hot! I even held a fan right up to the intake to help force cooler air into it on the last 2 pulls.

In the end, dynoing can be scary and bad things happen on the dyno and thats the chance we take but, thats why you get a good tuner with a good rep and you can trust. Cam is that guy for me.

As far as the FMIC and the TMIC, youre right, Cam told me thats my next upgrade for sure and it would of helped big time on these pulls, Im leaning towards a TMIC because heat soak on the dyno is pretty much on the dyno and i like easy installs..LOL!, yes we could get into the TMIC vs FMIC all day and I know all about it, but TMIC is my next mod.

That being said, What do you guys think about the fast motor sports TMIC? Its looking good to me, I hope they got the fitment issues worked out on that, otherwise its big bucks on the Perrin TMIC?
i believe anytime there is a huge dip in power something is going on and its knock. the VF52 can make power all the way up to 6000rpm (more or less depending on your mod level and power level). it should never drop and the most HP should be made around redline, not 4500rpm where it did. something bad happened on that run at 5200 rpm and by the time it was over it wasnt enough to make up for the loss. or else you should of made 270-280-290 up at 6000-6200rpm. maybe the stock 2port lost boost there for some reason. who knows.

as for TMIC id go PW. but FMS did steal the design so id go with that and save money!

FYI here is a graph im talking about. no dips, power all the way

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement