Subaru WRX Forum banner

2011 wrx - cbe

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Hondafan 
#1 ·
Just bought a new WRX and wondering what CBE to go with. Was looking at the HKS ES CBE and the COBB CBE.

Also will it need a tune being a CBE
Any suggestions?

#2 ·
You don't need a tune for just a CBE. Once you do the downpipe you have to get a tune. With just a CBE, you can still tune but it's not required.

Downpipe = COBB Stage II Tune (or custom protune)
CBE= No tune or COBB Stage I Tune (or custom protune)

If you're planning on getting the ap you can just flash the car to stage I whenever you want, then go stage II if you do the downpipe. If you go the custom protune option, it'll be more cost effective to wait until you get the downpipe and just get it tuned once.

#5 ·
Any reason you want to do a Short Ram? All they do is pull hot air in from under the hood. The newer WRX's are much better setup to run a CAI without fears of sucking up water. Either way, it's much safer to get a tune even if the intake says it's "ok." Since you're in CA you may want to look for a smog legal one to avoid hassle, which I why I'm guessing you don't want to get a downpipe.

#6 ·
On a turbo car the CAI v. SRI arguement is for the most part invalid as the turbo just heats the air anyways it's been proven on SF and NASIOC a few times that the difference in IAT on the same car same setup with SRI and CAI is <2*F

#9 ·
Really you have to be driving through a puddle (or freakin' river) that submerges your intake and then rev the beans off the motor to harm it. It takes a lot to suck up water. Air is less dense than water, therefore the car will suck in air before water, unless there's little to no air to suck in and then it will successfully suck in water. You would know you were sucking in water if you were doing it, as I'm sure you'd be rolling through it "Land Rover style." ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.