1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 09-14-2011, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
You only live about 3 hrs from me. We need to meet up next time I'm at Summit Racing.
ok.

i only go there when i need something ASAP. to expensive. o and oil, shipping is way more than tax.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah shipping from Summit is retarded. I have it shipped to my moms house in WV for free...I go up there when buddies of mine want parts for the Mustangs and Camaros they drag race...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#48 Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

no more ghetto gauge clusters crudely drilled into my dash and tray thing under the cigarette lighter!!

also the prosport boost gauge is electronic and should be so much more steady then a cheap autometer mechanical. also has a max boost setting with a BEEP or mute. it was made for these cars!!! white needle and red background! my wideband O2 is also red which matches very well!

heres a link with more pics and installed from someone else.
SMY Cluster / ProSport Gauge Review

o the clutster of everything that needs installed! should be "fun"!

#49 Old 09-15-2011, 05:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hey Syno, tell me you didn't wrinkle coat ALL the way down the pipes?

I hope it makes a perfect seal with the couplers...

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#50 Old 09-15-2011, 06:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Come on brother, I know what I'm doing . Taped off about 1.5". I bet it'd be fine though cause AEM wrinkle reds all there stuff.

#51 Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
lol... just checking. Never know. I still learn stuff on a daily it seems.

Cheers!!

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#52 Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

OMG what a day! never been more tired!!! i had about 4-5 hours to swap both suspension setups, wheels/tire, fuel pumps, batteries, floor mats, little pop rivets here and there, low and high beam bulbs, little switch covers, put stuff like engine bay dress up back on the 09 and HOLY **** the new car did not want its suspension to come off or the race stuff to go back on. the control arms and everything are so new that there was no give at all!!!! my 09 everything just unbolted and was easy! i hope to never do that again!! 3 hours sleep didnt help either after my first big Nursing exam of the semester.

anywho, 2011 is here! so far it only has 7lbs (each) lighter wheels/tires, 15lb battery, walbro 255 fuel pump, and a STAGE 1 TUNE!!! i flashed that mo fo at 5.3 miles!! everything was going good till...BOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM...

god *$^@ TB coupling silicone slip thing blew the coupling off the TB!! i might be the only 30 mile car to break down!! i got it home because it was still kinda on there and you dont need boost to drive. i removed the silicone slips, hair sprayed the coupling and all is well!

well almost. i think my boost gauge is broke. i can get amber/amber, white/white, amber/white but NOT white/amber which i want. something isnt right. anywho a few pics.

#53 Old 09-18-2011, 12:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

while finding a way to install my Grimmspeed 3-port onto my JDM manifold i found this...

never noticed it before because they send it to you with the bracket already installed. i took the bracket off for the first time because i needed to do a little shaving for install on the mani. i really hope someone at GS or if they out source their stuff someone didnt try to hide this by installing the bracket!!! im 99% sure the screw is to tight and thats what cracked it but maybe there is a 1% chance that over 2 years of use it cracked from the hot and cold. idk but 2 years old it looks like im stuck with it.

#54 Old 09-18-2011, 06:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Email Grimmspeed they will probably replace it. They are pretty good about there products.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#55 Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Grimmspeed saw a post on nasioc and will be replacing it. There really really curious about why out of 10,000 units did this one crack. There sending me a new one and a return label. Have to give them props for A+ service!

UPDATE...

Decided to do a crank case and valve vent mod before the car gets any miles on it! Instead of doing a catch can this time I decided to dump the hoses onto the ground. Every catch can I've had would just fill up with water and after 3000 miles about a teaspoon of blow by junk. Were talking drops every week or so. While this is illegal for racing I'm not racing so I don't care. Each valve vent has it's own separate line running back toward to the fire wall and it pointed down and zip tied to the frame rails. There up high enough so water can't get in them from rain or puddles. The crank case was also done the same way. I plugged all the inlet holes so there's no boost leak and so far I only have a filter on the CC line. For safety I'll get 2 more filters and do the VV too.

#56 Old 09-20-2011, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

welp, drove the crank and valve vent to atmos mod today. turns out it isnt great for racing. i new subis had a problem turning hard but had no idea it was that bad!!! ive only ever drag raced and today i took it out and got on it around a 4 leaf clover high way entrance/exit ramps. basically a hard 60-70mph right hand turn, then a small straight away, then a hard right exit, small straight, hard right, small straight, etc, you get the point. you can get on and off and keep turning hard right with almost no other drivers getting in your way and your doing the speed limit.

ive always known subis suck at turning because all the oil in the valve heads comes pouring out when your in a high speed turn for to long. im glad i did the mod though!!!!!!!!!!!! or else all that oil would be in my inlet, turbo, IC, BPV, IM etc. im not glad that it was all over my car underneath from front to back.

now im sure someone will say get a catch can or AOS and no crap. but why bother? if i wanted to race my car at autox or road race it would seem that after a race or 1/2 way through all the oil would be blown out of the heads and into the catch can leaving the motor empty. an AOS might be a little better because it can put the oil back in but im not spending that much money and ive seen many AOS's fail at road racing because it overwhelms the AOS and it gets back into the inlet anywho.

anyone know why we need valve vents? i wish i could plum them back into the block and be done with it. seems the crank case is all you should need.

#57 Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Get a good AOS. I know you said Bahh to them but I never saw a drop of oil in my intake from auto-x'ing.

I had the IXIZ Concept one.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#58 Old 09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

im building one now. saw pics of the crawford cut in half and its super easy. im still not wanting to run it back to the inlet. also im not sure if i want it running back to the crank vent either.

from what i can see it looks like the CCV and VCV go into the side of the can. the bottom port then runs all that crap and water from condensation that WILL form back to the CCV. on top and on the inside is just a baffle system with the top nipple that can run back to the inlet. im just not 100% on running the bottom port back to the CCV. yes it will allow the motor to not lose oil but its water and blow by crap that im letting just go right back in. sure ill change the oil every 3k but idk.

#59 Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

I think thats the biggest mistake done on any car. 3K OCI's are the most important.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#60 Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
It's primary function is to regulate boost pressure. So if you have more air flowing through a system you'd need a bigger hole to regulate the larger amount of air...Unless I am over looking something, but I suppose it makes sense.

as far as the fuel rails, I don't see the need for it, then again I am running almost an entire stock fuel system other than injectors and a pump...Man I most be doing something wrong.
Super late response.... You're not necessarily flowing more gas through the system when you put a bigger turbo on the car. One could argue that because it's a larger turbo there will be more exhaust coming out of the cylinders due to more fuel and air...

My theory is that even though there may be more exhaust coming at it because of the larger turbo, you need to divert less and less exhaust gas to regulate boost as turbine size increases. To me that would be a pretty linear relationship. The larger turbine forces more air into the engine via the compressor wheel, but that turbine needs xx% more exhaust flow to create boost. I will say that there is probably slightly more exhaust gas created than the extra gas required to spool the turbo, but until I can get some actual CFM numbers it's all just a theory in my head.

Keep in mind my theory is based on turbine size... If you have a turbo that has a small turbine but a giant compressor wheel then I say you need to upsize the wastegate. Running a 7cm turbine on a gt30+ sized turbo I acn see creating some boost spikes in the mid range if you can't get enough gas around that tiny housing. For my use, I'm looking at a 10cm on a gt30+sized turbo so I need less diversion.

-Chris
Closed Thread